Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bottom arm ball joint covers, anybody know the size?

Views : 424

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2020, 10:11   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default Bottom arm ball joint covers, anybody know the size?

Hi all, on my MOT last month I had an advisory for perished ball joint covers, the joints themselves are fine, it's just the rubber covers, I noticed however that when I was doing the brakes the other day that one side has now developed a hole and has spurted it's grease everywhere, I did see either a thread or a comment in a thread that mentions getting just the covers on their own but I can't find it again, would anybody happen to know what size I'd need, or if a motor factors is likely to stock them, as I'll get a pair and do them while I'm swapping the top mounts over, if not I'll grab some off eBay.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 17:21   #2
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Mine are split too but the spanish aren't anal on rubber boots, just an advisory.
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 23:04   #3
MMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
Hi all, on my MOT last month I had an advisory for perished ball joint covers, the joints themselves are fine, it's just the rubber covers, I noticed however that when I was doing the brakes the other day that one side has now developed a hole and has spurted it's grease everywhere, I did see either a thread or a comment in a thread that mentions getting just the covers on their own but I can't find it again, would anybody happen to know what size I'd need, or if a motor factors is likely to stock them, as I'll get a pair and do them while I'm swapping the top mounts over, if not I'll grab some off eBay.

Thanks in advance
If you have an Allparts near you they sell a trade bag of balljoint covers for £10.

You will find a cover in the bag to fit it.

I recently changed one of the covers on my T4 because it had split.

By the way the reason they split sometimes is corrosion at the bottom of the hub where the top of the cover sits. Over time as corrosion builds up the top of the boot starts to stick and with the constant turning left to right of the hub it rips the boot.

Make sure that you rid the hub where the top of the balljoint cover sits of all built up corrosion and then lightly smear the top of the new balljoint cover with grease so that it doesnt happen again.

Last edited by MMT5; Apr 14th, 2020 at 23:15.
MMT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MMT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2020, 11:57   #4
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post

Thanks in advance
I measured my old ones at 16.7mm small hole & 31.1 large hole.
But bear in mind they will have stretched slightly, so go for slightly smaller boots.
They're most probably supplied in standard sizes anyway ?
see pics;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bjb1a.JPG (88.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bjb2a.JPG (79.4 KB, 9 views)
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 08:03   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Try Europarts / andrew page or just use amazon & save the aggro of getting out and about
Old Apr 16th, 2020, 14:00   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Top stuff guys, thanks a lot, managed to get a new pair that are supposed to be for a Peugeot 206 complete with fixing clips for the princely sum of £3.80, the listing says the small hole is suitable for anywhere between 10mm and 18mm, and the larger hole 25 - 34mm, so they should be ideal, thanks again