Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 D5 SPORT 2008 Front suspension ??

Views : 1030

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:29   #1
optix2020

Exclamation S80 D5 SPORT 2008 Front suspension ??

I am looking for some help or any prior experience to nail down an annoying problem.

I always main dealer my cars for service.

The volvo dealer is Shropshire could not discover the cause of the front suspension squeak or mild knock then squeak coming from my car (only when driving over a manhole cover or dip in the road)

It happens both sides.... primarily drivers, however, if i dab the brake pedal slightly and drive over the previous known "squeak spots in the road" the suspension does not knock or squeak....

But remove the brake pedal and it is very audible again.

Any help please would be most useful. As I say, Volvo claim my suspension,steering rack etc is as good today as it was when it came out of the factory.

optix2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 20:22   #2
Gadgetman

I had the same last year on my 2008 S80 (SE) Volvo replaced both the front suspension arms. This didn't resolve the issue. I thought I was stuck with the annoying squeak. Just by chance a had some new pads fitted a few months later at the same dealers. By luck it solved the problem.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:44   #3
optix2020

Gadgetman, I was contemplating changing the pads as I stated that the sound disappears when I apply the brake lightly, hence may take up some micro slack in the pad which could be causing a squeak. I will do the pad change and see how it goes.
Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. Hows the mileage doing on your S80, they are fantastic cars.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 13:07   #4
Gadgetman

Talking

Great thanks, I bought mine in Oct 09 via the Volvo UK used car site. It had 31K on the clock and was 13 months old, cost £14,700. I wanted the sport model but found them like rocking horse Poo! what are your air-con cooled seats like in this warm weather? That was the main reason I wanted the sport.
Other than a new radio being fitted under warranty as the AM packed in (apparently a known S80 problem) and this suspension sqeek. It's been bullet proof. Shes now on 70K. I also think the S80's are a great car.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 09:28   #5
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I had this on an old 1971 Mini, turned out to be the anti-rattle shims on the Metro disc brakes I had fitted. New parts solved it completely.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 12:15   #6
optix2020

I really love the versatility of the car. The seats and the aircon a total blessing in this heat, the air cooled seats also refreshes the air in the cabin by drawing air through the seat...... in my opinion: leagues ahead of Audi and BMW. Arrive without drawing attention. I like that about Volvo they are completely understated.
I have driven 158000 miles in mine as I use it for business. Full Volvo Service History and proud of it. No damage anywhere apart from the Squeak which looks like it could be the brake pads after your comment.
She pulls like a train and only 1 or 2 cabin rattles depending on heat outside. The seats are still in A1 condition even after the mileage. I have the Active Chassis, Sat Nav, Bluetooth and electric seat package, the only option I believe it could have had was rear heated seats.
Thanks for your feedback again as it is always reassuring to know how somebody else is getting on with their Volvo S80. My mileage should allow you to rest easy. I am aiming for 200K before considering a replacement, but even then, I would still debate it as it has delivered us anywhere in Europe without a hiccup. I love my S80.
The Following User Says Thank You to optix2020 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2011, 12:21   #7
optix2020

Hi Tommy, I do think it is going to be pad related. Thanks for your comment. How is life in your V series?
As you will see from my last reply, I would eventually consider a replacement for mine and I would tend to go for an XC 70? Any comments as I see your image of an estate?