Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Still not worked out this USB media player yet ...

Views : 9965

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 09:31   #31
Lexman8
Premier Member

I too gave up playing media via USB. It's rubbish.

I use Spotify all the time now.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:11   #32
wheelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptones View Post
i can't believe that 3yrs later the USB media player is still sh1t!!!

I've spent a whole day trying to work out why it lists every album with a single song in it..... look like i'm now going to have to try some of the tricks mentioned previously...

XC90 is a lovely car.... but with a really sh1t entertainment system, navigation and pretty much the whole usability of the main media screen!
(don't get me started on Android auto taking up a 3rd of the screen!!)
I can’t see an option to play playlists on mine from the USB.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 13:00   #33
daverey

If you've created the playslists correctly, then when you go into the USB library you'll see the various categories you can choose from along the top (songs, artist, genre, albums etc. Playlists - on mine anyway - are on the far right, and I think you need to press the > to move the headers along so you can see it.

I'm assuming that if you haven't got the option for playlists then there's been an error in the way you've loaded them or the system has read them.

Also bear in mind that when you make changes to the content of the USB drive the system needs to re-index everything again when you first put it in the car and it can take quite some time for the playlists to become visible as it whirrs its way through the drive....
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 16:08   #34
Steve XC60
Structural member

This still really frustrates me.

Call me old fashioned, but I like listening to albums. I like the way that the Sensus system displays albums, with the album cover etc. I don't really ever list by song or artist etc or use playlists, I just use the album listing.

BUT it really frustrates me that no matter how carefully I tag the albums (using mp3tag - which as was said previously on this thread is worth the effort), the Sensus Gracenote system decides it knows better and renames or reorders or reindexes things.

Gracenote gets it right sometimes, mainly where something is really simple (Artist: "Fred Simple" Album: "I only have one album"). But, if there is an album which is even slightly confusing then it will almost certainly throw a wobbly ("Fred Simple, featuring Jenny Complex and other Artists" "My third Album (live and unplugged) with guest artists"). Give it a compilation album made up with various artists and there is almost no hope.

There is a setting to disable the system from updating from the "online" version of Gracenote but this does not stop the system from using the version already installed on the HDD from creating its own index of the USB and messing things up.

I know it is the fault of Gracenote as if I create a fresh USB (ie one that has not yet been indexed by the Sensus / Gracenote system) and plug it in, if I navigate really quickly to the album tab (ie before the system has had a chance to create its own index of it) the albums display perfectly, exactly as I have tagged them, even the compilation albums. Then, a few moments or so later, in kicks Gracenote and completely messes up the more complex albums.

If anyone knows how to turn Gracenote off and stop it doing this, please let me know. You would make me very happy.

And I know others have work around solutions (use an ipod, use your phone and bluetooth etc) but I dont feel it is too much to ask to have an option to display USB files as I have created them.
Old Jul 3rd, 2020, 20:52   #35
wheelnut

In my previous V70s, I could have folders on my USB drive by artist with each album stored in a separate sub folder. It just worked.
I would love to be able to have something similar in the V90.
2012 V70 Drive SE Lux, 2000 V70 SE2.4: 2000 V40 1.8SE: 1997 S70 2.0SE
Garage - Mercedes SLK & Honda CM400T
wheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 10:00   #36
Lexman8
Premier Member

The fact that you simply can't access the music by USB folder structure (Artist/Album/Track) is beyond stupid.

Sensus creates a completely unnecessary level of complexity and makes you question the competence of those making these design decisions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 15:36   #37
daverey

I always use my USB stick (bit of a dinosaur...) and my biggest gripe is that I have music arranged in folders, such that I might have "Artist" folder, then sub folders for each album by said artist.

My ID tags are largely OK, and if I want to play all songs by the same artist across all albums on random, I can do this by using the voice control "Play xxArtistxx". However, maybe its my northern accent, but the success ratio on it finding anything remotely like the artist I said is low, and it can take my 10 attempts or more, usually before I give up.

However, If I try to bypass the accent issue, if I use the screen to navigate
Library-artist and then find the correct artist, there's no option (that I have found anyway..) to play all songs by said artist, you need to click into each album and then of course you only get the songs from the chosen album.

Frustrating as hell as the functionality of the MP3 player is obviously there are it works over voice, but just a tiny simple piece of code missing from the screen!!!!
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 18:07   #38
Twinspeys

Angry Playlist

Like everyone els I am confused with the USB music playing. I don't even get a selection of playlist available. I only have about 8gb in 13 files but I cannot get it to play a complete file and some songs it repeats, obviously from other files. Has anyone got an answer? My Ford C Max played them all perfectly!!!
Twinspeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 18:37   #39
Twinspeys

Default USB media player

How do I make a readable playlist? It seems to me that a simple folder is not acceptable to the "machine".
Twinspeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 19:39   #40
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I just listen to FM radio on the wireless
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote