Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine performance down

Views : 550

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2020, 08:59   #1
Hertsracer

Default Engine performance down

I have a volvo v40 estate 1.9 turbo diesel, with 98000 2002 52 plate,
the engine runs and starts fine but sometimes it runs very slow whilst im driving as if it runs on 3 cylinders,if i turn off the ignition and then back on i get the power it should get but when i do that the speedo needle goes up and down to zero when i am moving can anybody help on this with thanks phil
Hertsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 14:59   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

If you're doing this while the car is moving then that's the reason for the Speedo, as these have an electronic speedometer as opposed to a mechanical cable one,.you kill the power then you kill the signal so it'll drop to zero, although as for the problem itself, first port of call would be the fuel filter myself.
Old Apr 9th, 2020, 23:59   #3
Hertsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
If you're doing this while the car is moving then that's the reason for the Speedo, as these have an electronic speedometer as opposed to a mechanical cable one,.you kill the power then you kill the signal so it'll drop to zero, although as for the problem itself, first port of call would be the fuel filter myself.
No i do not turn the ignition off whilst im moving that would be silly,sorry but i did fail to mention that,i stop the car then switch off then back on then whilst im moving the speedo fluctuates
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 00:02   #4
Hertsracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertsracer View Post
No i do not turn the ignition off whilst im moving that would be silly,sorry but i did fail to mention that,i stop the car then switch off then back on then whilst im moving the speedo fluctuates
ive had the car fully serviced, its like it goes into limp mode when i lose power
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 00:06   #5
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I've seen that on a Transit van and a Volvo FL10. I think the truck problem turned out to be a sensor in the throttle pedal. I don't know about the van.

How relevant those observations are, I can't say ...

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 00:35   #6
s40t4trowsdale

Is it the rev count or speed count

If its the rev count i had it. It turned out to be the icv (idle control valve) which is like £30 from volvo them selfs.

Hope this helps
s40t4trowsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 14:02   #7
Toxicbacon

First place I'd start is looking for boost leaks, rev the engine up and listen for any hissing or whooshing. Also try unplugging your maf
Toxicbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2020, 20:47   #8
aldred309uk

One cause of power loss which is restored after turning the engine off and on again can be particles in the fuel tank, flakes of rust for example. As the car runs, bits of rubbish can get stuck to the sock on the fuel pick up inside the tank. The longer the car runs the more stuff blocks the fuel pickup causing a lack of sufficient fuel. When the engine is turned off the suction from the fuel pump stops which allows the dirt particles to float away from the sock which allows regular fuel flow again. This may not be your problem but if you find yourself in the area, have a look for flakes and other debris in the fuel tank.
Old Apr 12th, 2020, 15:23   #9
v40cro

Could be MAF or EGR, I hade same issues on mine 03 1.9D, best thing is to hook it up to OBD and see if it shows anything, otherwise you might be throwing money away while trying to find issue
v40cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 21:00   #10
aldred309uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40cro View Post
Could be MAF or EGR, I hade same issues on mine 03 1.9D, best thing is to hook it up to OBD and see if it shows anything, otherwise you might be throwing money away while trying to find issue
Mine had EGR issues and unplugging the MAF sensor removed all symptoms.