Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MkI XC60 to MkII XC60 - superb service from Marc at Bells

Views : 1771

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 20:58   #1
Pitvar

Smile MkI XC60 to MkII XC60 - superb service from Marc at Bells

Swapped this weekend from an XC60 D5 RDesign MkI to a B4 RDesign MkII and specified the new one with Driver Assist, Climate packs and towbar.

Really impressed with the safety systems and the interior feels much more plush. B4 is down on power compared to the old D5 but not noticeable. Gone from saville grey to Bursting Blue as I was a bit fed up of grey and silver cars!

Superb service from Marc at Bells - a forum regular so I'm sure its OK to name him! I'd highly recommend giving Marc a call for any new car queries.

Only "quirk" I don't like so much is that Pilot Assist puts the car too far to the inside of a lane instead of the middle - leaves double the gap on the drivers side as it does on the passenger side - but I'll just not use it...

Anyone thinking of changing who has any questions happy to help.

Last edited by Pitvar; Jun 28th, 2020 at 21:05.
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pitvar For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 19:43   #2
Hogster

I had the same problem with Pilot Assist on my car, and I think it's a common thing. However you soon get used to it. I actually use Pilot Assist more in traffic jams than moving traffic, when this is less noticeable.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 11:52   #3
Pitvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
I had the same problem with Pilot Assist on my car, and I think it's a common thing. However you soon get used to it. I actually use Pilot Assist more in traffic jams than moving traffic, when this is less noticeable.
Thanks Hogster, I can imagine its handy in queuing traffic.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 13:05   #4
mr rusty

Quote:
Only "quirk" I don't like so much is that Pilot Assist puts the car too far to the inside of a lane instead of the middle - leaves double the gap on the drivers side as it does on the passenger side - but I'll just not use it...
You do get used to it, and I've now driven thousands (literally) of miles under pilot assist on the motorway. Use it and discover exactly how it works - it's not foolproof, but IMHO it is good.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 13:27   #5
Pitvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
You do get used to it, and I've now driven thousands (literally) of miles under pilot assist on the motorway. Use it and discover exactly how it works - it's not foolproof, but IMHO it is good.
Thanks mr rusty - I did use it for quite a few motorway miles but felt far too close when passing lorries!
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 16:00   #6
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
Thanks mr rusty - I did use it for quite a few motorway miles but felt far too close when passing lorries!
I can only second what others say about trying it and getting used to it. The first couple of times I used it it felt very dangerous - especially through roadworks with narrow lanes (I often disabled it in those situations). But now I use it every journey and love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Automatic Only For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2020, 09:32   #7
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Thank you for the kind words and glad to hear you are happy with the Car.

I generally do only use Pilot Assist at slower speeds and stick with Adaptive Cruise only at higher speeds, but just do what you feel comfortable with

Kind Regards

Marc

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 16:16   #8
Ringthane
VOC Member

As to the car seeming to be close to the left of the lane, on a trip up the M40, with Mrs R in the passenger seat and PA enabled, I asked her to tell me how far I was from the white line, on her side.

We spent a few miles, trying to work out if the car did favour the left of the lane, only to conclude that the car drives pretty much down the middle and that it is my perception, from the driving position, that made me think PA was favouring the left of the lane. I concluded that before PA, I was subconsciously moving to the right, when passing HGVs.
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 18:26   #9
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
As to the car seeming to be close to the left of the lane, on a trip up the M40, with Mrs R in the passenger seat and PA enabled, I asked her to tell me how far I was from the white line, on her side.

We spent a few miles, trying to work out if the car did favour the left of the lane, only to conclude that the car drives pretty much down the middle and that it is my perception, from the driving position, that made me think PA was favouring the left of the lane. I concluded that before PA, I was subconsciously moving to the right, when passing HGVs.
I am in total agreement with your above comments in that we subconsciously do end up driving too far to the right ..... but have never realised it until Pilot Assist automatically "places" the car dead in the centre of the lane ..........
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 21:51   #10
Pitvar

I tried to judge it using the wing mirrors and it was sat at twice the distance from the right hand off side white line as it was from the left near side. I'll just be picky about when I use it