Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"not a known fault" say Volvo UK

Views : 1811

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2010, 21:10   #1
AB-UK
Premier Member

Default "not a known fault" say Volvo UK

This is not meant to detract from the growing thread for Watchdog to be contacted.

However, I have just today received a letter from Volvo regarding my complaint about loss of AWD and they confirm that "this is not a known fault".

They also refuse to acknowledge any information posted in this or any other forum.

What I would like to know is:-
1. How many XC90 owners have aleady had this problem fixed by Volvo franchised garages AND at non-franchised garages;
2 When were these repairs carried out?
3. How many owners have written to Volvo concerning this fault:
4. When did they inform Volvo of this problem?

Perhaps no-one apart from myself has complained to Volvo directly about this? No, I can't believe that either.

I am very angry at Volvo apparently treating me, and no doubt many other owners similarly, as an idiot.

In respect to any potential "goodwill payment" this will be affected due to my lack of loyalty to Volvo as I had my last 2 services done at an independent garage, who's diagnosis of the problem they also will not accept.

This information will be vital in pursuing Volvo via Watchdog, or other means.
I will copy this message to the existing "Watchdog" thread, which I would like everyone else to continue contributing to.

Last edited by AB-UK; Feb 24th, 2010 at 21:15.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 21:25   #2
Phil Longford

Default XC90 with 4WD failure

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funniest thing I've heard in years. Volvo's resident comedian should be on the stage.

See the 260 postings (left after The Crash) on this Forum, under XC90 4WD problems.

Got to go. Crying too much, and my sides are splitting!
Phil Longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 21:32   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Longford View Post

See the 260 postings (left after The Crash) on this Forum, under XC90 4WD problems.
A very valid comment was made in the first post - how many of the 260 posters in the original thread have contacted Volvo or have they just made their views known here?

If they do not write to Volvo then Volvo has every reason to bury their head in the sand and deny knowledge of the issue - this forum is completely independent of Volvo and what is said here is substantially anonymous and while it may indicate to the forum users that there may be an issue, it is not bringing the issue to the notice of Volvo in any official, recorded and attributable manner.

If everyone writes to Volvo then you may be able to refute their assumed position.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 21:46   #4
mu71rd

Ab-UK,

if you can you should attach or paste a copy of letter you sent to Volvo, o this forum, along with the name of the person you sent it to, and the address.

It will still require that everyone changes a few details and sticks a stamp on it, but I bet it will have an effect on how many people complain.

Also, when Volvo start seeing the same letter arriving with different customer's details on, in quantity, they will start to respect the power of forums like this, and perhaps will be forced to be less dismissive next time.

Just an idea.
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 22:06   #5
AB-UK
Premier Member

mu71rd,
I don't know why you would want to see my letters, as I'm sure anyone could write a simple letter to Volvo complaining about the loss of the AWD function, and perhaps the cost they have incurred to fix it.

However, here are the two letters I sent originally - one to Sweden and the other to Volvo UK.

I haven't attached any files before so I don't know if it will work, but I'll try now.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 22:39   #6
exasperated

Default In current communication with Volvo Uk - Hayley

Hi
We're in current contact with a lady called Hayley at Volvo UK and have a case reference. Do you thinkk we will still need to put it in writing? We will if necessary.
We haven't got a decision out of Volvo yet, but had our last service done at non dealer Volvo but loss of AWD diagnosed at Swindon Johnsons. They don't seem to keen - offered a dealer discount of 10% on labour and 5% on parts.
We are up for a very big bill as steering rack has gone aswell!
exasperated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 14:50   #7
exasperated

Default Update

Quick update - Volvo have offered 10%. That's it.Plus the dealer 10% as above. Anyone have any advice about how they got their 10% or other measley amount increased. What do I need to say? AB UK- Have you got any further and what contribution did you end up with? My Volvo is 04 model with 57000 miles on clock. AWD died about 2 years ago I think when I first got stuck in snow.
exasperated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 15:08   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Further to my last suggestion that you need to write to Volvo, I also suggest that one of the XC90 owners with the issue steps up to the mark and takes ownership of the issue.

Individual letters into Volvo will seen as individual letters, what needs to be done is that you send individual letters, and that you copy the owner of this issue. This will enable the owner to show (on your behalf) that there have been X, or Y, complaints and this will mean that Volvo cannot step back and hide.

This history will also be useful if you want to take it to some other agency for action - even the BBC will want to see a history of how may complaints that Volvo has received and what the responses were.

I know it seems like a lot of work for the volunteer, regrettably it is required to ensure that there is an auditable trail of evidence.

Hope this help - I have an XC60 otherwise I would be happy to be the spokesperson

Iain
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 15:10   #9
irishcarfan
Master Member

Hi guys, I'm just reading through this. First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're all having such trouble. 12 years ago, my Dad was treated horribly by Volvo Ireland - so I know what it's like, and frankly I find it disgusting.

An XC90 not having AWD is like a T5 not having a turbo: it gets the job done - but it's not what you paid for.

As you guys were saying, I think all of you need to come together in a coordinated manner and all of you should write letters to all the same people. i.e, If a particular set of dealers receives 200 letters, and Volvo UK receives 200 letters, and Volvo Global receives 200 letters - and then they still comeback and say, "this is not a known fault", well surely that's a case for something bigger? But at least you've got it in writing? And indeed, it might be expensive, but maybe those letters should be sent by registered post?

But like you said, I think you all need to do it. Btw, I wouldn't mention the forums myself, and I wouldn't attack. I think in this first set of letters you should simply state that you are Volvo customers who have a product which is not functioning to Volvo's own specifications.

Best of luck to you all!!!
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 15:44   #10
GJB
Premier Member

Angry Please All Contact Watchdog

Please send all complaints to Watchdog as the more the more likely to see some action click on below http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66098
GJB is online now   Reply With Quote