Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 837138

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Feb 24th, 2021, 09:11   #301
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post

Im looking at Saab 900's as well, and all of them are going up and up. even the non turbos are looking at £3000+. i found one on autotrader (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...tion=on&page=1) albeit it has low miles, but when you check the MOT history you need to run away from it now! it failed the MOT almost every year since 2005. just shows it hasnt been well looked after.
I wonder what that Saab looks like when it's dry? Possibly a very dull matt finish on the paintwork, one of the oldest tricks in the book along the lines of "never view a car in the rain".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 10:28   #302
Thekilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I wonder what that Saab looks like when it's dry? Possibly a very dull matt finish on the paintwork, one of the oldest tricks in the book along the lines of "never view a car in the rain".
The black plastic bumpers will be grey no doubt as all do, even the volvo ones. Get a heat gun and works a treat though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 06:02   #303
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
I have been looking around at 240's recently, and i have been finding ones like the grey painted one quite often. Go on youtube and sear Volvo 240 and loads of modified for drifting come up. The picture with the guy in the background isnt the best sfor selling this as "Not abused". a few years ago you coudl pick these up for cheap money like many have said, this is when many rear wheel drive drift fans picked them up cheap to knock them around. Now they come to sell them, and see the redicidulous pricing some people are sellign clean versions for and they think they can lump a grand onto the selling price.

Im looking at Saab 900's as well, and all of them are going up and up. even the non turbos are looking at £3000+. i found one on autotrader (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...tion=on&page=1) albeit it has low miles, but when you check the MOT history you need to run away from it now! it failed the MOT almost every year since 2005. just shows it hasnt been well looked after.
Good point. I had rot realised about the drift car piece though.

This is much as we have been discussing on this thread for a while, people seem to think their oldish 240s are worth a fortune, even when there are not even close to qualifying as historic cars.

This one I noticed on eBay is fairly typical, been laid up for years but someone has done a bit of recommissioning (which is good). I'm pretty sure I saw if for sale a few weeks ago (I'm guessing the buyer was a no show):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo240g...53.m1438.l2649

... £2000 is probably a sensible price for that car (assuming there isn't a load of rust under that white paint), but 10 years ago (when the car was 20 years old) it might have made £800.

Alan
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 09:16   #304
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

This one I noticed on eBay is fairly typical, been laid up for years but someone has done a bit of recommissioning (which is good). I'm pretty sure I saw if for sale a few weeks ago (I'm guessing the buyer was a no show):

... £2000 is probably a sensible price for that car (assuming there isn't a load of rust under that white paint), but 10 years ago (when the car was 20 years old) it might have made £800.

Alan
While looking at that white one, a few others showed up on the bay. First is this one with a knackered clutch :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-Volv...e/143871092098

Thirteen grand and the clutch pedal is halfway down?

What else has been bodged or not mentioned?

Then there's a Jap import fot £5.5k :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...D/224331398727

Seems ok but still has the original Japanese speedo in kmh.

Lastly for £6k you could have a heavily modifed (as the result of one duff damper apparently) GLT :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Volv...c/284185362391

I think some people are on some strange medication with those prices - if they're not, they need to be!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:42   #305
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
While looking at that white one, a few others showed up on the bay. First is this one with a knackered clutch :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-Volv...e/143871092098

Thirteen grand and the clutch pedal is halfway down?

What else has been bodged or not mentioned?

Then there's a Jap import fot £5.5k :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...D/224331398727

Seems ok but still has the original Japanese speedo in kmh.

Lastly for £6k you could have a heavily modifed (as the result of one duff damper apparently) GLT :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Volv...c/284185362391

I think some people are on some strange medication with those prices - if they're not, they need to be!
Well that was an interesting collection Dave.

£13,000 for the estate is just plain ridiculous - and I see what you mean about the low clutch in the photo. I wonder how the dealer will explain that one away.

The Japanese import car looked interesting - but realistically one would have to fit a MPH speedometer - which then always seems odd to a future buyer. I wonder what price it had been reduced from?

The lowered car is horrible - all it needs is a KEV and TRAY sunscreen and some under car lighting.

These sellers must be on the wacky baccy - of the three only the Japanese import looks to be worth anything near the money (and I dare say the dealer would knock a grand off for cash - which might make it quite nice).

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Feb 25th, 2021 at 11:44. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:56   #306
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

The lowered car is horrible - all it needs is a KEV and TRAY sunscreen and some under car lighting.

These sellers must be on the wacky baccy - of the three only the Japanese import looks to be worth anything near the money (and I dare say the dealer would knock a grand off for cash - which might make it quite nice).

:-)
I was thinking more "DAZ and SHAZ" on the sunstrip Alan but only through regional/era differences.

The sellers are definitely on something they shouldn't be though!

Old Feb 26th, 2021, 05:35   #307
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Good point. I had rot realised about the drift car piece though.

This is much as we have been discussing on this thread for a while, people seem to think their oldish 240s are worth a fortune, even when there are not even close to qualifying as historic cars.

Alan
That 1988 saloon with 103,000 miles made £2,900 - which I thought was quite strong money for a 33 year old car.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 09:32   #308
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That 1988 saloon with 103,000 miles made £2,900 - which I thought was quite strong money for a 33 year old car.
Very good money for a car with no MoT!

Old Feb 27th, 2021, 06:20   #309
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Very good money for a car with no MoT!
MoT was to November Dave, I still thought it was good money for that car (although perhaps it will reappear for sale - that seems to happen a lot).
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 06:25   #310
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Whilst keeping an eye on 240 prices at our favourite auction site I came across this one nearly a month ago:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...53.m1438.l2649

... I think this is the third time it has been advertised and still has not attracted an opening bid at £1989 (sort of odd number to start with I thought).

I suppose it is just in that no man's land between historic cars/really nice cars (both of which make good money) and old, tired cars. It sounds more or less genuine (apart from the paint that used to belong to the RAF - I would not be advertising that if I were the seller!).

10 years ago this motor car would have probably made £500, 20 years old being about the nadir of car values - now the question is has rarity made it value increase substantially? It would appear the answer is no (so far anyway).

I'll keep an eye on this one :-).
... still no bids on the car covered in paint that once belonged to the RAF, but the seller now threatens:

"Volvo 240 GLT Saloon 1989 LAST CHANCE TO BUY, keeping car if does not sell!"

... that will show them!