Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 stop start battery warranty

Views : 607

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:16   #1
Phil Russell

Default V90 stop start battery warranty

I have posted previously about my daughter having problems with stop start in her new V90 Cross Country. She bought the car as an ex demonstrator app. 3 months old last summer so has had the car for about 9 months. On the first visit to the Volvo dealership to get the stop start issue looked at, all they seemed to do was charge the battery and do a 'reset'. This took 2 days. All was well for a while, maybe 2 months (?) but then the warning light came on telling her, again, that stop start service was needed.
Eventually she managed to get the car booked in with the dealership again. It went in yesterday (Tuesday 23 Feb 2021). Today she got a message from them informing her that the stop start battery needed replacement and asking her to authorise a replacement at a cost of something over £100. She has, of course, authorised the work but is a bit concerned as the car went to them to be mended and this sounds as if she is going to be charged for it.
Surely this is a warranty issue?
Are we correct in thinking it is a warranty issue? She is hoping to collect the car tomorrow.
Cheers, Phil
Phil Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:23   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I had my battery replaced under warranty at two years old. Ask the dealer to contact Volvo to authorise it to be done under warranty or at least to show good will.

An after thought; is the dealer charging for labour and replacing the battery under warranty or charging for the battery, either way it is poor form.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:43   #3
Cull06
Master Member

I’ve seen other dealers have a kick off at the moment over batteries going flat when the mileage is reduced due to covid. The other week it was mini over a 1 year old car which had only done 3,000 miles and needed a new battery. What sort of mileage has she done in the last year with the car?
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 17:01   #4
Phil Russell

Not sure what the 'authorised costs' include. I don't think she has been told ... by text maybe. Her mileage has been reduced due to Covid or rather, there have been spells when the car was unused for several days (maybe a week) then used for a longish run. Indeed on Monday it was about 160 mile round trip ... for business I might add not just pure pleasure. And ditto the week before but only maybe 70 mile round trip. Plus a few shorter trips of maybe 10 mile round trip.
So not sat still for weeks on end.
Cheers, Phil
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 17:42   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

There's nothing in the Volvo New Car Warranty Terms and Conditions that excludes batteries.

I would be arguing that this should be covered by warranty.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 17:57   #6
MikeGMT
VOC Member

I would agree with techwatcher as the car would seem to be still within the balance of the manufacturers warranty which is transferable to the owner.

It seems to me that there is more going on other than a low battery. The stop/start has to meet a lot of parameters before it will work, this happens to me quite often but a good run always provokes it into action, I have never had a warning that the system needed servicing. Normally the @ symbol is greyed out until stop/start is ready again.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 12:40   #7
Phil Russell

Default Update

Daughter collected her car this morning. She just collected keys from receptionist, no paperwork, no news of what had been done, no bill.
It would have been nice to have been told what had been done but she assumes it was replacement of stop start battery. She guesses that they are limiting number of people in the dealership so no one was available to tell her what had been done. She did note that the car had done 50 miles since she handed it in to be sorted.
Cheers, Phil