Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46084

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2021, 15:23   #401
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

"...........and here we see the Lesser Spotted Volvo 245 in it's natural habitat of snow and ice..................." (to be read in a David Attenborough voice).

This was mine on monday Chris :

That delivery truck opposite skidded about 6 times reversing out, hit the kerb almost as many through bad steering then turned the wrong way at the end - he was facing a dead end!

At the next T-junction, they managed to spin the wheels a lot, causing me a minor front wheel skid coming home, bit of loud pedal action and the back came round to where it should be - obviously the truck driver wasn't experienced in snow and ice, no wonder his passenger looked petrified!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 20:14   #402
Chris152

Well, the plan was to get on with the suspension today - warm and dry - until, in the middle of the night, my toe had a collision with a door and made a mess. So today I decided not to over-exert myself and had a go at a headlight. Success! Undo the three nuts, remove the electrics to the bulb, pull out a little and unclip the side lights, slide apart and fetch inside. The lens clips came off by hand and the new reflector had plastic clip-ons ready fitted and just needed pressing on. So all went well, I'm waiting for the lad to come back from his mum's to do the other one.
Thanks for the advice on this, hopefully the other side will be as straight forward!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0058.jpg (253.5 KB, 9 views)
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 00:20   #403
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Vast improvement on the headlights Chris, well done!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 09:38   #404
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

"...........and here we see the Lesser Spotted Volvo 245 in it's natural habitat of snow and ice..................." (to be read in a David Attenborough voice).

This was mine on monday Chris :

That delivery truck opposite skidded about 6 times reversing out, hit the kerb almost as many through bad steering then turned the wrong way at the end - he was facing a dead end!

At the next T-junction, they managed to spin the wheels a lot, causing me a minor front wheel skid coming home, bit of loud pedal action and the back came round to where it should be - obviously the truck driver wasn't experienced in snow and ice, no wonder his passenger looked petrified!
My GLT in the days before I had the garage built around it...

The Exxon Valdez is just visible at the right-hand side, behind the vegetation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _copie-0_Winter wonderland.jpg (262.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by loki_the_glt; Feb 16th, 2021 at 09:38. Reason: Missing let er.
loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 12:40   #405
Chris152

Quick question - the trailing arm to axle seems to have a rubber sleeve through which the bolt passes, making it really difficult to get off, but we're getting there. Is it ok to put silicone grease inside the rubber sleeve so refitting the bolt will be easier?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 12:49   #406
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Quick question - the trailing arm to axle seems to have a rubber sleeve through which the bolt passes, making it really difficult to get off, but we're getting there. Is it ok to put silicone grease inside the rubber sleeve so refitting the bolt will be easier?
It's most likely a metal sleeve Chris, just covered in rubber from the bush and yes, silicone grease should be fine as an assembly lube.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 14:20   #407
Chris152

Thanks Dave - back on now!

Two more:

1. Should we be doing anything with the shocks before fitting them? They came with an info sheet that I can't understand (image attached).

2. The spring retainer was fine so we used it, as the bolt was sitting nicely in it. But we couldn't really figure out how it's supposed to fit into the spring - is one of the squared edges supposed to sit down into the gap as in the attached? We tried with the new retainer in a new spring and it sits fine that way. But once tightened, it doesn't seem to sit quite evenly, maybe it'll shift once there's weight on it and it's fully tightened?

Thanks.

ps everything's on the one side now, just waiting to do the other then tighten. Assuming we get the all clear on what I just wrote above!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0065.jpg (227.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0063.jpg (234.4 KB, 15 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 15:24   #408
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave - back on now!

Two more:

1. Should we be doing anything with the shocks before fitting them? They came with an info sheet that I can't understand (image attached).

2. The spring retainer was fine so we used it, as the bolt was sitting nicely in it. But we couldn't really figure out how it's supposed to fit into the spring - is one of the squared edges supposed to sit down into the gap as in the attached? We tried with the new retainer in a new spring and it sits fine that way. But once tightened, it doesn't seem to sit quite evenly, maybe it'll shift once there's weight on it and it's fully tightened?

Thanks.

ps everything's on the one side now, just waiting to do the other then tighten. Assuming we get the all clear on what I just wrote above!
1. The instructions you showed Chris are for disposal of old dampers - hence the bin shown - the instructions further down are for the front McPherson strut type damper inserts.

The idea of those graphics is to dispose safely of the old units, recycle where possible and save the planet. If you have one Nivo and one normal you may be able to save the normal one as a usable spare if it's ok and if the Nivo isn't leaking, you may be able to sell it as a usable unit to someone else with a 240. Any leaks of fluid from either unit though and i'd say not usable.

2. All looks good, sometimes the spring retainer looks odd when fitted, other times it looks natural, yours looks natural. Usually the natural look is how it should be as things just "fit".
Once the weight of the car is on the spring, it will settle a bit more.

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Feb 25th, 2021 at 15:29.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 15:59   #409
Chris152

Thanks again, Dave! Yes, now you've pointed it out it's a bit obvious! The bin I mean. And glad to hear the retainer looks ok.

Everything came apart fine, the only struggle was the arm to axle bolt but in the end it was fine. The spacers were clean and no rust inside, but we put on some copper grease as suggested, Bugjam.

Looking good, onto the other side tomorrow...

ps we fitted the second headlamp reflector ok, all nuts came off easily and now refitted with copper grease for next time.

I'll post an update on driving experience once we've got there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 18:19   #410
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks again, Dave! Yes, now you've pointed it out it's a bit obvious! The bin I mean. And glad to hear the retainer looks ok.

Everything came apart fine, the only struggle was the arm to axle bolt but in the end it was fine. The spacers were clean and no rust inside, but we put on some copper grease as suggested, Bugjam.

Looking good, onto the other side tomorrow...

ps we fitted the second headlamp reflector ok, all nuts came off easily and now refitted with copper grease for next time.

I'll post an update on driving experience once we've got there!
Things like that are always obvious when they're pointed out Chris, not quite so obvious if you've not seen them before though!

Sounds like you've made good progress and have been checking what and how you're doing things as you go - the next side should be much quicker and easier.