Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC-90 2010 sat nav update problem

Views : 2922

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 18:30   #1
aldebyxc90

Default XC-90 2010 sat nav update problem

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with my dad's sat nav please.
He has an XC-90 2010 which he's just bought. The sat nav didn't come with any disc in it, so wouldn't work as it was saying please insert disc.
I bought a genuine volvo sat nav disc from ebay, this one;
Volvo Sat Nav Discs for Volvo HDD RTI
Volvo Models:
S40 MY08-11
V50 MY08-11
XC90 MY 07-14
C30 MY 08-12
C70 MY 08-13
Part No. 31421273 1420

Today we put it in and it took pretty much 3 hours to do disc 1, then when asked to insert disc 2 it is saying that disc 2 is invalid.
Any ideas why?
We've tried shutting down the sat nav, taking keys out and trying again and cleaning the disc but no luck. Also the sat nav is now staying up when car is running, can't get it to shut down.

My dad is a mechanic, but has had no experience with updating sat navs.

Any help much appreciated.
aldebyxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 22:45   #2
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldebyxc90 View Post
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with my dad's sat nav please.
He has an XC-90 2010 which he's just bought. The sat nav didn't come with any disc in it, so wouldn't work as it was saying please insert disc.
I bought a genuine volvo sat nav disc from ebay, this one;
Volvo Sat Nav Discs for Volvo HDD RTI
Volvo Models:
S40 MY08-11
V50 MY08-11
XC90 MY 07-14
C30 MY 08-12
C70 MY 08-13
Part No. 31421273 1420

Today we put it in and it took pretty much 3 hours to do disc 1, then when asked to insert disc 2 it is saying that disc 2 is invalid.
Any ideas why?
We've tried shutting down the sat nav, taking keys out and trying again and cleaning the disc but no luck. Also the sat nav is now staying up when car is running, can't get it to shut down.

My dad is a mechanic, but has had no experience with updating sat navs.

Any help much appreciated.
Firstly a couple of points about the system:

1. With the HDD navigation system a disk does not necessarily need to have a disk present to operate.

2. The only reason a disk is required is if a software update has already taken place. Where this is the case, then disk 1 needs to be left in the drive permanently.

3. The update does take quite a few hours, I seem to recall that its about a 3 hour process.

4. As far as I know, the disks need to be of a newer version than you already had. Having said that, I don't believe that the system would let you update the software using an older disk.

My thoughts:

Do you know what year the maps you purchased are?
It's worth checking the part no's and version information on both disks - one thought I have is that perhaps the disks aren't a matched pair and maybe you have Disk 1 from say 2012 and Disk 2 from 2009 (or vice versa).
In terms of shutting the screen down, have you tried the buttons on the back of the steering wheel (or the remote control)?

Finally, you mentioned cleaning the disk - was that cleaning the disk or did you try a DVD lens cleaner in the DVD drive?

I'm no expert on this system, but we have an '07 with the HDD nav and I've updated the software successfully twice.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on...
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C320 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 23:07   #3
aldebyxc90

Hi, thanks for answering.
I had also asked on another forum and have got a similar response from them.
The maps I got are 2014, I messaged the seller and she says they were genuine volvo and worked fine for them last year. She has offered me my money back.
However that doesn't solve my problem of having the sat nav now think its updating, so constantly wants to be up and telling me to insert next disc. Yes I've tried steering column buttons but won't shut it down now, will only go down once keys are out.
I will double check the discs again tomorrow, but was pretty sure they matched.
The 2nd disc does have a tiny scratch on it, would this matter? I didnt think much of it as is only 2mm ish and not deep, this is what I meant by cleaning disc, not actual dvd unit. I cleaned the disc with cloth I use for my tv.
Finally we have no idea if it had been updated before, as we purchased and there was nothing in dvd unit, yet sat nav was saying please insert disc.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 23:09   #4
C320

Quote:
Finally we have no idea if it had been updated before, as we purchased and there was nothing in dvd unit, yet sat nav was saying please insert disc.
That would certainly suggest that the system had been updated before. If we remove our disk I'm sure we get the same error, I can try it tomorrow to confirm. However, when we bought our car there was no disk present and it definitely had the original software and the navigation system was operational.
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 22:24   #5
aldebyxc90

So now we've started this 2014 update and can't get the 2nd disc to work, what do we do? There's none on ebay now. Do I wait and see if I can get the same set of discs again? If not do I have to go newer, as it's already started updating with disc 1 from 2014?
I'm tempted to ring local volvo main agent and see if they have any kicking about.
Annoying as when driving it's always popped up now asking for the next disc.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 12:04   #6
aldebyxc90

Ok, we've now realised there was 2 different discs in the case. One, part no 31396119 and one, part no 3141273.
My dad rang volvo and they dont stock old updates as the parts people sell them on ebay!!!! Great! Volvo want £100 to clear the old update and then £100 odd for 2016 discs.
So now I need to try and get hold of a disc 2 Part no 31396119.
Oh the joys!
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 15:22   #7
C320

Quote:
Ok, we've now realised there was 2 different discs in the case. One, part no 31396119 and one, part no 3141273.
My dad rang volvo and they dont stock old updates as the parts people sell them on ebay!!!! Great! Volvo want £100 to clear the old update and then £100 odd for 2016 discs.
So now I need to try and get hold of a disc 2 Part no 31396119.
Oh the joys!
I'll check the part numbers on mine later (a 2014 disk set). However to help with your issue, removing the disk from our nav drive we get this message. Is that the error you've been getting?:

Old Feb 26th, 2016, 16:34   #8
aldebyxc90

Thank you. Yes it was the message we were getting before we started update. The message we get now is asking for disc 2 to be inserted. The seller got back to me and says she must have muddled up 2 sets they had and shes left that with car they have now sold. So she refunded me. Ive made offers on 2 on ebay but they want £80 and £100!
At least dad has now learnt to always check all part numbers before starting.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 10:33   #9
C320

Quote:
Thank you. Yes it was the message we were getting before we started update. The message we get now is asking for disc 2 to be inserted. The seller got back to me and says she must have muddled up 2 sets they had and shes left that with car they have now sold. So she refunded me. Ive made offers on 2 on ebay but they want £80 and £100!
At least dad has now learnt to always check all part numbers before starting.
Just checked ours and the part numbers on the set we have is 31456966 1520 which is the 2015/16 maps (I thought the ones we had were 2014).

The same part number appears on the box as well as both CD's.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 14:37   #10
aldebyxc90

Thanks for having a look. Not to worry. I've won one on ebay for £60 and it's new and sealed so will all be the same part numbers.
So hopefully we will get it all working properly next week.
Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to aldebyxc90 For This Useful Post: