Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New tyres for XC90 - 20" + Air

Views : 5875

Replies : 67

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 23:59   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

I put the summer Pirelliis back on last week and was immediately struck by how much road noise there was compared to my winter tyres (and they are Contis!).

Tyres from the Goodyear/Dunlop group tend to have some of the lowest official noise ratings. On my Merc I went from Contis to Dunlop (both summer) and there was a noticeable improvement in noise levels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 07:05   #12
Sceptre123

It didn’t have them from new.

They are slightly noisier normally, but never as noisy as the Conti’s could be. Basically I think they are more consistent.

They look like they should last 20k instead of 15k and our dealer price matched to tyreleader, tyreleader are one of a few places who sell the VOL marked tyres.
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sceptre123 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 09:29   #13
familymangreg
Premier Member

Thanks to Spectra123 for the TyreLeader hint, they appear to have a lot of choice at good prices (at least for non fitted).

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season options are a bit confusing, having several options which are named identically, but have different ratings for fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise. Interesting the ones tagged Volvo are the cheapest, but have a B rather than an A rating for noise. See this link.

My current shortlist is:

CONTINENTAL CONTI SPORT CONTACT 5 SUV ContiSilent/Volvo (B noise rating) - £213.07
PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON (A noise) - £199,63
PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON (B noise, Volvo) - £165.70
MICHELIN LATITUDE SPORT 3 (A noise, Volvo) - £230.20
MICHELIN LATITUDE SPORT 3 (A noise, Michelin Acoustic Technology, crazy money) - £278,19

What I don't have a feel for at the moment is how necessary it is to go for tyres specifically tagged for Volvo. Any thoughts?

The Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustic Tech are out of the question unless I found them substantially cheaper elsewhere.

Tempted by the standard Michelin Latitude Sport 3 as they have an A rating for noise.

Interestingly, the Conti Silents which I have on at present have a B rating for noise. But again I don't know how much you can read into this and how consistent the rating is.

:wq
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 10:19   #14
NewVolvo
VOC Member

My attitude towards tires, whatever tires you buy....never skimp on the quality.

Its the only contact you have with the road!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 19:48   #15
Phil117

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Thanks to Spectra123 for the TyreLeader hint, they appear to have a lot of choice at good prices (at least for non fitted).

The Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season options are a bit confusing, having several options which are named identically, but have different ratings for fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise. Interesting the ones tagged Volvo are the cheapest, but have a B rather than an A rating for noise. See this link.

My current shortlist is:

CONTINENTAL CONTI SPORT CONTACT 5 SUV ContiSilent/Volvo (B noise rating) - £213.07
MICHELIN LATITUDE SPORT 3 (A noise, Michelin Acoustic Technology, crazy money) - £278,19

What I don't have a feel for at the moment is how necessary it is to go for tyres specifically tagged for Volvo. Any thoughts?

The Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustic Tech are out of the question unless I found them substantially cheaper elsewhere.

Tempted by the standard Michelin Latitude Sport 3 as they have an A rating for noise.

Interestingly, the Conti Silents which I have on at present have a B rating for noise. But again I don't know how much you can read into this and how consistent the rating is.

Michellin would be my choice. The latitude 2's are a better tyre if you can still get them but 3 is still good.

Wish could get them with 21's but limited to Pirelli only
Phil117 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil117 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 19:52   #16
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Why wouldn’t you go with Conti Silents out of interest?

Not everywhere will repair them if you get a puncture because of the foam lining and I’m not sure how much quieter they are in reality - I went from Conti’s to Michelin’s on my Passat and noticed a marked reduction in noise so I would be tempted to do the same, but whatever I get will be A rated for wet traction as a priority
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 23:11   #17
SpaceBoy42

Quote:

My current shortlist is:

Would love to know how you get on with the Latitude Sport 3s if you do fit them. My factory fit Conti Silents on my T8 appear to be wearing faster than I would hope (and I'm not heavy on the right foot - probably only going to get 16k out of them) and I wouldn't exactly call them 'silent'!! Would prefer something longer lasting and quieter.

I notice they sell the Latitude Sport 3s at Costco for very similar looking prices (if you are a member)....

Item #819508
Michelin 275/45 R20 (110)V LATITUDE SPORT 3 XL VOL
£230.89 + £8.40 fitting (all inc UK VAT)
The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceBoy42 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 08:33   #18
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy42 View Post
Would love to know how you get on with the Latitude Sport 3s if you do fit them. My factory fit Conti Silents on my T8 appear to be wearing faster than I would hope (and I'm not heavy on the right foot - probably only going to get 16k out of them) and I wouldn't exactly call them 'silent'!! Would prefer something longer lasting and quieter.

I notice they sell the Latitude Sport 3s at Costco for very similar looking prices (if you are a member)....

Item #819508
Michelin 275/45 R20 (110)V LATITUDE SPORT 3 XL VOL
£230.89 + £8.40 fitting (all inc UK VAT)
Leaning towards the Michelins, just awaiting my local tyre fitter coming back with a price.

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 08:59   #19
Lexman8
Premier Member

The standard ContiSport Contact 5 is rated at 73dB for noise but the Silent version of it is also rated at 73dB. As such, I wouldn't expect a big improvement although the nature of the noise might be preferable on the Silent version and also better under certain conditions.

Similarly, the standard and Acoustic versions of the Michelin Latitude Sport 3 are also rated the same at 70dB.

However, the 3dB overall reduction that the Michelins provide compared to the Contis might be more significant. These noise figures are 'drive-by noise' so don't relate specifically to interior cabin noise but they're probably a good indicator. Roughly speaking a 3dB reduction is a halving of the noise level (because it's a logarithmic scale).
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 09:25   #20
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The standard ContiSport Contact 5 is rated at 73dB for noise but the Silent version of it is also rated at 73dB. As such, I wouldn't expect a big improvement although the nature of the noise might be preferable on the Silent version and also better under certain conditions.

Similarly, the standard and Acoustic versions of the Michelin Latitude Sport 3 are also rated the same at 70dB.

However, the 3dB overall reduction that the Michelins provide compared to the Contis might be more significant. These noise figures are 'drive-by noise' so don't relate specifically to interior cabin noise but they're probably a good indicator. Roughly speaking a 3dB reduction is a halving of the noise level (because it's a logarithmic scale).
Thanks Lexman, this is pretty much what I had concluded. I know that the noise rating it measured outside of the car, and therefore wondered if the silent and acoustic technologies are designed more to reduce resonance that comes into the cabin, but hopeful that the noise rating would also make a difference.