Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

99' C70 T5 to 04' V50 T5

Views : 647

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 18:43   #1
lee5595

Default 99' C70 T5 to 04' V50 T5

Hey all,

Not new to forum but never ventured into this bit as i have a 1999 C70 T5, however after getting a dog (GSD) i need an estate. Just after any comments from owners old and new of V50 T5 Geartronic, any probs or things to look out for.

They seem to be coming down in price and as i dont do many miles the fuel side of things isn't really a problem.

Am i right in thinking these are essentially a Ford Foocus? If so are they as well built/reliable as the cars built in Volvo days?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by lee5595; Aug 18th, 2011 at 19:29.
lee5595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 02:39   #2
Dave Z

Well, i own a manual V50 T5 so i can't comment on the gearbox, but everything else is spot on. The price is the big winner. I bought mine when it was only 2 1/2 years old from a main Volvo dealer. It was fully loaded and in mint condition and cost about the same as a new poverty spec Fiesta after i'd px'd my crap old Alfa 156.

The basic platform it's built on is the same as the Focus, but it's much more solid and better put together. I'd never have guessed there was any blue oval bits under it. It feels nice and premium inside, especially with an SE or higher spec. All the buttons are damped and plenty of soft touch plastics.

And of course, the best bit. The T5. One of the best things about the V50 is that no-one would expect it to charge away from the lights the way that it can. I do love putting people in their place with my boring estate. I get very excited when some ponce in a modified Saxo or Golf GTi or BMW 318i (with M badge!) decides to hang off my back bumper. Drop a cog, hit the gas and watch them disappear. Even if you have a flat-pack wardrobe in the back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Z For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 23:49   #3
biggs312800

Hi there I have the s40 t5 se geartronic and love it. it's nice and smooth when you want a nice relaxing drive. And has the power of the kick down when you wanna overtake. Also another upside is the semi auto box flick it to the left and oh boy lots of fun on the back country lanes. This is my first auto box and love it. And like Dave said u can leave people behind and gob smacked. I've had to take the t5 off the back of mine I kept getting to many young kids in 1.2s trying to race me (ha no chance)

Last edited by biggs312800; Aug 20th, 2011 at 23:53.
biggs312800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggs312800 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 09:15   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Mines an 04 never had any serious issues, just bits and bobs (electrical mainly) but they are fairly solidly built if not up to the standards of 80's volvos.

Compared to an older T5 in standard spec you'll find that the V50 T5 is very refined, smooth, quiet, not very boosty and a bit dull - It doesn't feel like a turbo car standard (just like it has a huge engine - up to 5k anyway)

That said the handling DNA is focus so it'll go around corners better. The car really comes to life with a few mods.

Basically it's one of the best chassis in the business turned into a boring, big car feeling GT.

Things to watch.... Cracked cylinder liners, Vibration from the DMF and they do have electrical niggles although none of them serious (Fuel pressure sensor being one) and the MAF on these tends to last about 5 years.

Brakes are quite spongy till you put on braided brake lines, they come in 300mm and 320mm depending on the model (and if you have 17" or 18" wheels) so look out for that, the 320 brakes are much better.

Also the gearbox mount on the manual wears and becomes sloppy that's an easy fix though.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey

Last edited by t5_monkey; Aug 21st, 2011 at 09:19.
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 23:25   #5
lee5595

Thanks guys, gonna go see one this week.....and a V70 as a back up choice
lee5595 is offline   Reply With Quote