Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 61757

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2015, 14:00   #171
benfredlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
take the light units out and check the tops of the reflectors , the silver can go dull .
thats what i want to do however how can i get the projector out, as shown in my image im unable to get at the 4 T25 holding the projector unit in?
benfredlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2015, 22:35   #172
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfredlive View Post
thats what i want to do however how can i get the projector out, as shown in my image im unable to get at the 4 T25 holding the projector unit in?
a long torx screwdriver , one may have to be tilted a bit but it is quite possible
Old Dec 22nd, 2015, 16:15   #173
kelvyarh

Default Volvo C30 2009 Dim Headlights

After reading the threads & like others, experiencing such poor lighting that it made it unsafe to drive outside of streetlamp-lit areas, I took the projector out of my headlamp unit.

It comes out with just 3 tx25 screws & once you wiggle the projector around a bit, it comes out easily.

After a few conversations with Volvo, both local branch (who tried to be helpful) & head office who said because the last service at a main dealer was over a year ago, this would have contributed to the headlight deterioration (morons), I have come to the conclusion that no-one at Volvo knows who made this projector, so no-one can source a replacement. Their suggestion was 2 new headlamp units at £550 each.

Photos of the pitting & the flanges that hold the shiny & non-shiny parts together.

I am considering sending it off to a metal re-finisher to get it silver-plated. Waiting on a price & an idea of how long they need the part for before committing. Other option is HIDs for 364 days per year & pop halogens back in for the MOT. I don't think that the HID lights will make everything perfect, but may improve things a little, particularly as atleast some of the light is emitted directly forward (unlike halogens). Having projectors makes me feel a little less guilty about considering HIDs. I hate it when I am blinded by oncoming traffic, but at the moment, I find people's brake-lights dazzling, so there is certainly a fair bit of room for improvement.

I'll post again if I get any joy with the silvering.

kelvyarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 19:39   #174
benfredlive

i got mine out today! has made a huge difference cleaning the lense however i too have the issue with the silver coating going dull, its not come off like it has in yours but doesnt look like the rest of the projector.

i wonder if buying some headlights from a 2012 / newest model would give us better condition units?

or these on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S40-...8AAOxyrrpTfFQO

Last edited by benfredlive; Dec 23rd, 2015 at 19:44.
benfredlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 09:01   #175
RickT

I have a 2012 S40, the headlights are dangerous, i am finding the headlight are far too low in the highest setting, so much so they dont even light up the rear lower half of the car in front in rolling traffic at say 30mph.

Please can someone link me a guide on how to lift the beam pattern - i looked in the engine bay and cant see any knurl wheels to lift the beams.

ps... the LED DRL's seem to offer more light output!!

thanks in advance.
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 10:00   #176
Kake41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
I have a 2012 S40, the headlights are dangerous, i am finding the headlight are far too low in the highest setting, so much so they dont even light up the rear lower half of the car in front in rolling traffic at say 30mph.

Please can someone link me a guide on how to lift the beam pattern - i looked in the engine bay and cant see any knurl wheels to lift the beams.

ps... the LED DRL's seem to offer more light output!!

thanks in advance.
I've adjusted mine. The height adjustment screw was broken on both of the lamp units so I used pliers to turn the screw clockwise about 1/2 turn. Now the low beam is way better than before.
The pic below is from Swedespeed forum:

Turn the lower screw (number) 2 clockwise with an allen key to rise the beam.
Kake41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 10:23   #177
RickT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kake41 View Post
I've adjusted mine. The height adjustment screw was broken on both of the lamp units so I used pliers to turn the screw clockwise about 1/2 turn. Now the low beam is way better than before.
The pic below is from Swedespeed forum:

Turn the lower screw (number) 2 clockwise with an allen key to rise the beam.
Thanks for this .. I guess the unit has to come out to get to the screw?
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 11:21   #178
Kake41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Thanks for this .. I guess the unit has to come out to get to the screw?

Yes. You need to remove the whole unit to gain access to the screw.
Kake41 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kake41 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2016, 11:17   #179
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi all!
Sorry for refreshing old topic, but have read all advices in this thread and need to ask - what did you use to clean the projectors? Just a dry cloth/brush or some glass-cleaning foam aswell?

Have recently bought 05 V50 T5 AWD and got an unpleasant jaw-drop during the night ride. Even with replaced, decent bulbs, those lights are incredibly bad! Comparing to my old 03' S40 with reflector lights and Nightbreakers fitted, it fells like driving with one (dirty) light on
Was thinking its the power output or other issue but I can see "its how it is". Will carry out the headlamp level adjustment and cleaning out the lenses, as advised, hope it will help a little.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 21:12   #180
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Hi all!
Sorry for refreshing old topic, but have read all advices in this thread and need to ask - what did you use to clean the projectors? Just a dry cloth/brush or some glass-cleaning foam aswell?

Have recently bought 05 V50 T5 AWD and got an unpleasant jaw-drop during the night ride. Even with replaced, decent bulbs, those lights are incredibly bad! Comparing to my old 03' S40 with reflector lights and Nightbreakers fitted, it fells like driving with one (dirty) light on
Was thinking its the power output or other issue but I can see "its how it is". Will carry out the headlamp level adjustment and cleaning out the lenses, as advised, hope it will help a little.
cleaning wont make a big difference , but making sure the height is as high as you can go legally and making sure the reflectors are shiny all over will ... The reflectors probably have the silvering flaking off at the top ...