Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 103691

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2017, 17:53   #1201
ulstrup

my voice control for the climate works without a glitch!

either is ''climate 21°'' and both side are changing
or is
''I'm cold/hot'' and only the driver side changes +/- one degree.
it's brilliant.
do you have the last voice control update (04/2017)?
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 19:20   #1202
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post
I have CONTI SPORTCONTACT 5 on 20' wheels on my 2018MY T8.
I didn't found the car particularly noisy.
My experience is that roads in continental Europe are normally quieter than in the UK.
Old Oct 7th, 2017, 23:12   #1203
chrisrixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
The only owners that have really complained all have D5 with 20" wheels and UK based as far as I am aware.
This does seem to be the case - but it would seem Volvo UK don't think it is a current problem as the new MY18.5 specs show that the Momentum Pro now comes with the 20" wheels as standard. The previous 19" wheels do not even show as a no cost option.
So for the D5 the Momentum is now the only choice with 19", The R Design Pro has 22", Inscription Pro 21" - the rest of the range 20".

Seems to be emission related - all the 20" D5's now show CO2 at 163g/km, with 19, 21 & 22 inch wheels at 173g/km.
Previously all D5's were at 149g/km.
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 06:08   #1204
jasz1156

Default S90 too

I have written on several threads about my continuing problems with road noise.
I have an inscription with 20 “ airsuspension etc.
I have escalated the noise and the importers are working with the factory for a solution. They worked with Michelin to see if they could get a 19 “ that was quieter. I have Pirellis now but they’re was no improvement particularly on our coarse chipseal here in NZ.
Currently there is some B pillar insulation just about to be installed but I hold no real hope for this.
I have used dynamat in the rear and it did improve the reduce the noise by 3-4 dBA . However the roar is now coming form the from and seems to be propagating through the suspension mounts firewall and passenger floor.I am going to suggest Volvo also install dynamat under the carpets in these areas.

I agree the car is much noisier than my previous xj Jaguar and even the Fpace and XF Jaguars.the Volvo’s are more like Mazda’s or Honda’s when it comes to refinement.
I just came back from a 300 mile trip and I had the B&W up to around 60% to cover the road roar. I now have a headache from the noise.

I am coming to the realisation I may need to change the car after 6 months . This is disappointing as the car has many good features.
It is curious they seem to be in denial about this issue when they are clearly looking for conquest sales to people like me.
jasz1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 09:34   #1205
neon
Premier Member

Not sure if it makes any difference, but the other common is the side of the road we drive on and the steering wheel position for those that consider the road noise to be excessive.
The Mazda point above is a good one and what has been my argument. This may be acceptable in a £30k car but not what we should expect from a £50-£60k car marketed and priced as a Luxury SUV.

Last edited by neon; Oct 8th, 2017 at 09:39.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 10:04   #1206
Zoo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasz1156 View Post
. I have Pirellis now but they’re was no improvement particularly on our coarse chipseal here in NZ.
Currently there is some B pillar insulation just about to be installed but I hold no real hope for this.

I am coming to the realisation I may need to change the car after 6 months
Way back in Oct 2016 - page 52 and post #514 on this thread, I added some pics of the ContiSilent tyres that the Swedish factory supplied to my dealer. The 'B' post insulation was also carried out by the dealer - despite the fact that the factory claimed, the upgrade had already been done (I believe the car was assembled in Finland, although I will no doubt be corrected).

The rear windows (which had a lateral movement of at least 3mm) were also replaced and padded seals added. Overall, it made a difference but after three months of ownership, I returned the car, received a full refund with compensation and have subsequently discovered that over 63 XC90's (at March 2017) have been returned/exchanged/uprated in the UK/GB.

Totally amazed how some owners have just accepted their lot with this car and not remonstrated more.
I believe it's Volvo's dirty little secret and needs a class action raised.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoo21 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 16:37   #1207
ulstrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Not sure if it makes any difference, but the other common is the side of the road we drive on and the steering wheel position for those that consider the road noise to be excessive.
The Mazda point above is a good one and what has been my argument. This may be acceptable in a £30k car but not what we should expect from a £50-£60k car marketed and priced as a Luxury SUV.
I can't believe that. how a change in the wheel assembly position could generate more noise?

harmonics in a vibration could be changed easily if only one of the parameter changes.must be something specifically related to the D5.It could be anything thus the problem Volvo have to address it.

what surprises me is that the engineers did not found something amiss during the myriads of tests the cars are going through.
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 09:08   #1208
jasz1156

Zoo I am very interested in your comment about right hand drive. I’m on swedespeed and they don’t seem to have the same problems in the US.
I too am pretty positive the noise is generated from the passenger footwell.
I wonder if they have holes in the firewall that they plug up for right hand drive cars.alternatively it could be the engine well layout means noise is not screened by the drivers wheel and instrument pod?
My car is with importer now and they have installed the B pillar insulation and are struggling to install the latest sensus update.
I am hoping they can have a look at the footwell and install dynamat..If they can’t nail it I think I’m back to Jag
jasz1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 12:42   #1209
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstrup View Post
I can't believe that. how a change in the wheel assembly position could generate more noise?

harmonics in a vibration could be changed easily if only one of the parameter changes.must be something specifically related to the D5.It could be anything thus the problem Volvo have to address it.

what surprises me is that the engineers did not found something amiss during the myriads of tests the cars are going through.
The muppets tested it in Spain. Are you surprised they found no road noise?
Old Oct 10th, 2017, 15:28   #1210
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasz1156 View Post
Zoo I am very interested in your comment about right hand drive. I’m on swedespeed and they don’t seem to have the same problems in the US.
I too am pretty positive the noise is generated from the passenger footwell.
I wonder if they have holes in the firewall that they plug up for right hand drive cars.alternatively it could be the engine well layout means noise is not screened by the drivers wheel and instrument pod?
My car is with importer now and they have installed the B pillar insulation and are struggling to install the latest sensus update.
I am hoping they can have a look at the footwell and install dynamat..If they can’t nail it I think I’m back to Jag
I am just quoting the common factors, no idea what is or if they are the cause.