Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I was run off the road by a van last night!

Views : 12957

Replies : 130

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 12:40   #1
tt82
Forum Support Team

Angry I was run off the road by a van last night!

Last night on my way home, I had a van change lanes on the motorway whilst I was nearly along side him. Had to brake and take to the central reservation in order to avoid him. Unfortunately I didn't do enough as when I got home I noticed that Jeade'en has picked up a few scuffs on the front bumper and wing. There's some tyre marks on my alloy (the one I buckled the other week!) but I'm not too fussed about that.

At this moment the company involved shall remain nameless, but all credit to them, they've had hauled the driver in and given him a bollocking. They've asked me to get a quote for repairs so they can sort out the damage.

I've reported the guy to the Police and I'm just waiting to hear back from the Road Traffic Collision Investigation Unit. When I do they'll be sent the video footage. I think they'll be pursuing him for Failing to Stop and/or Careless/Dangerous Driving.

The video is private on Youtube so can only be viewed by the following link.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Added to this post rather than doing it another!

One thing thats been debated in our house at the moment is how far do push this? I mentioned that when I spoke to the company this morning and informed them of the damage, they said the driver had been hauled in before the MD and whilst it wasn't a disciplinary and he won't lose his job, he has been left in no uncertain terms of what the MD thinks of his driving! It is the opinion in my house that for what happened, he shouldn't lose his job over it.

But what happens when the Police see the video? Failing to stop has 3 different offences -
  • AC10 Failing to stop after an accident 5 to 10 points
  • AC20 Failing to give particulars or report an accident within 24 hours 5 to 10 points
  • AC30 Undefined accident offences 4 to 9 points

and there are a few different Careless/Dangerous driving offences
  • CD10 Driving without due care and attention 3 to 9 points
  • CD20 Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users 3 to 9 points
  • CD30 Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users 3 to 9 points
  • DD40 Dangerous driving 3 to 11 points

If he already has points on his licence then he could be banned under totting up. Also if his company have their own maximum amount of points allowed, ie 6, then he could also lose his job.

Should this really be something that I should worry about? Personally I think he knew what he was doing and deserves to be reprimanded for it. If you watch the video, at 23 secs you can see a small dark hatchback fly along the slip road to the very end. At 27 seconds you can see the van joining Lane 1 from the same slip road. He then disappears out of camera view but reappears at 40 secs when he has rejoined the slip road to drive to the end like the small hatchback did, effectively undertaking the queuing traffic. At 54 secs you see brake lights in lane 2 as he pushes into lane 2 from lane 1. He then drives me off the road.

I followed directly behind him for a few miles after the incident, from Jc7 to about Jc 14/15. I then moved to lane 2 as traffic eased off and a few cars got in between us. I moved back into lane 3 and remained there until Jc18 at which point the van moved to lane 2 as he was coming off at that junction. As I passed I had a good look at the driver only to see him looking for me. I suspect that by that time, the head office had phoned him and made him aware of the complaint against him. The only way I could describe the look on his face, is by saying it was a look of angry accusation, as if me complaining about his actions were wrong! He also seemed to know exactly what car to look for as well which makes me even me furious at his casual flash of the hazard lights after I had blasted my horn. He clearly knew which car to look for which makes me think he knew exactly where I was when he pulled out on me!

It says to me that he has an attitude problem and that I am doing the right thing by reporting him to the Police. I don't want him to lose his job but if that is the consequences of his actions then he only has himself to blame! Am I right in thinking this?

Last edited by tt82; Feb 19th, 2015 at 13:59.
tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 12:49   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Another example of why everyone should have dashcams! Glad it wasn't anything more serious, and I'm sure it'll be resolved appropriately due to the video evidence.

Good luck!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 12:55   #3
miltski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Another example of why everyone should have dashcams! Glad it wasn't anything more serious, and I'm sure it'll be resolved appropriately due to the video evidence.

Good luck!
Plus one on that, I think its camera time for mine now!

Good luck, hopefully the repair will be paid out for swiftly enough!

Not sure I would have been able to keep as calm as you were in the video though.......
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 12:58   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

You should indicate what you're intending to do when it's safe and clear.
This is a case of the driver indicating and doing it all in one, regardless of whether it's clear and you have to adjust around him and unfortunately, this is the attitude for many drivers.
Pretty clear cut third party fault in my opinion and a good job you weren't a motorcyclist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 13:05   #5
kieran40
I've Been Banned

The main thing is youre okay Simon. Hopefully they will throw the book at him when they see the footage, was it a company van go for compo mate , how he didn't see you is beyond me I take it judging by everyone else around you you had youre headlights on guy in the van what a twit. You get that sort of thing all the time usually when you are barreling down the m/way at 90 they suddenly pull out if they looked in the mirror before hand they can see a car comming down the outside lane that is moving faster than their 60/70

Nice silver s40 I spied in the left hand lane aswell.

Last edited by kieran40; Feb 19th, 2015 at 13:15.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 13:16   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
The main thing is youre okay Simon. Hopefully they will throw the book at him when they see the footage, was it a company van go for compo mate , how he didn't see you is beyond me I take it judging by everyone else around you you had youre headlights on what a twit.

Nice silver s40 I spied in the left hand lane aswell.
He saw me all right, just looks like he didn't care. I'm happy with getting it repaired. As I said to they guy this morning, their insurance excess will probably be more than the repairs. If I can keep the insurers out of it then it stop my premiums going up next year as well. Also I don't do the whole compo thing as it just puts everybody's insurance up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 13:16   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

With the benefit of the video and replay you can see him zip down the inside lane at 41 secs then just cut straight across both lanes at about 55 secs, with driving like that he is an accident looking for a victim, as already said he was lucky it was you in a Volvo that he found not a motorbike.
Hope you get it resolved quickly and without too much grief.

If you're going for sorting it without insurance be sure to keep records of all communications with them, others have come unstuck later when they refuse to pay up.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Feb 19th, 2015 at 13:19.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 13:28   #8
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Good luck Simon his company should take some responsibility for employing a driver like that in the first place as others have said he's a accident waiting too happen do you know wether his company have installed CCTV in the van I wouldn't want too be in his shoes if they have and they see the footage. It's not a momentary lapse or mistake it's blatant bad driving and no proper control over the veichle he is driving, he would have looked back when he noticed you at the last minute and he also would have said something inflammatory too himself in the cab. All if which would have been caught on the CCTV. If installed of course most have nowadays.

Last edited by kieran40; Feb 19th, 2015 at 13:37.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 13:51   #9
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
With the benefit of the video and replay you can see him zip down the inside lane at 41 secs then just cut straight across both lanes at about 55 secs, with driving like that he is an accident looking for a victim, as already said he was lucky it was you in a Volvo that he found not a motorbike.
Hope you get it resolved quickly and without too much grief.

If you're going for sorting it without insurance be sure to keep records of all communications with them, others have come unstuck later when they refuse to pay up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
Good luck Simon his company should take some responsibility for employing a driver like that in the first place as others have said he's a accident waiting too happen do you know wether his company have installed CCTV in the van I wouldn't want too be in his shoes if they have and they see the footage. It's not a momentary lapse or mistake it's blatant bad driving and no proper control over the veichle he is driving, he would have looked back when he noticed you at the last minute and he also would have said something inflammatory too himself in the cab. All if which would have been caught on the CCTV. If installed of course most have nowadays.
I have amended my original post and that deals with some of the issues you boys raise!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 14:06   #10
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Don't feel guilty. What he did was dangerous, don't forget that. The consequences could have been far worse and that was more luck than skill on his behalf (well judged you by the way). If there are no consequences for him then next time who knows? The reaction you received sugggests he is unlikely to learn an easy lesson.