Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Consumption Issue......

Views : 1620

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 17:32   #11
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by austingipsy View Post
I think one of your carbs has a sticky plunger, maybe a rough spot on the inner face of the carb or the damper is making it hang up and your carb is drinking vast amounts of petrol because the needle's not sat at the right level......maybe, or perhaps your brakes are binding a bit, has there been a change in performance. If it's sounding a bit rough is it struggling to pick up as you drive away?
Yup, sounds rough when pulling away but then clears - I'll check the movement of the carb pistons when I get home from work.

Only change in performance is related to the rough running of the engine & I'm pretty sure that the brakes aren't binding as I can easily push the car.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 18:49   #12
Derek UK
VOC Member

If a dashpot piston is sticking, don't be tempted to clean it all up with Autosol. Petrol and a cloth only. The piston needs as little clearance as possible for it to work with the vacuum. If this is the problem it might also be the cause of your poor running and pinking a while back.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 19:13   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

what is the CO set to have you had it checked ? It is very easy to get it 12% and that will cause your problem , it should be around 2 or 3% CO when warm .( or less if the engine will idle ok )
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:05   #14
222s
Amazoniste

I've checked the movement of the damper pistons & they're fine. However the fuel level in the aft float bowl is about 10mm higher than in the forward one. Given the way in which the fuel reaches the carb, I think this might be a major part of the problem.....

Anyhow - turns out that the float needle valve is very worn (pronounced step in its taper) so although sealing properly (so not leaking fuel out of the overflow), it closes when the fuel level is higher so it looks like the 'lost' fuel is overflowing through the main jet & thus through the carb. I swapped the needle valves around & it's now running better (but will of course fit new ones as soon as they arrive). Smells a lot less of petrol now too.

Haven't checked the CO but am setting the mixture by lifting the damper pistons & checking the plugs. The front carb is running nicely so once the rear one is behaving, hopefully both running & fuel consumption will be back to normal!

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Oct 4th, 2007 at 10:08.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 16:59   #15
222s
Amazoniste

Took Friday afternon off work so would have more time to sort out the problems with the car. Still couldn't find any sign of fuel leaks, so turned my attention again to the carbs.

Turns out that the choke on the aft carb unit has become a bit tempermental and was sticking open. Combined with the float jet issue, it looks like this was the cause of the 10mpg fuel consumption.... The choke had been fine when the carbs were adjusted the previous weekend, so must have stuck again since - this time though I greased all the carb linkages / spindles etc so that both chokes move smoothly now.

Reset the mixture mainly on the at one, but the forward one also responded to a slight tweak, just using the lifting the carb pistons method (need to look at the plugs to check but haven't had time) & adjusted the idle screws. Now the engine idles very smoothly (also picks up without hesitation), and at the correct speed rather than a fast idle, which it hasn't done for as long as I can remember (always thought it was due to the D cam & that they were all like that).

Before it got dark, I also took the opportunity to redo the rear silencer hanger, which I had bodged previously with some jubilee clips. However when the exhaust is raised to the correct height, the centre silencer hits the new rear footwells (the old ones had been 'adjusted' with a BFH but I' mnot prepared to do that to these new panels). A quickly made extension piece fore the rear strap was made from a cut down Halfords exhaust bracket & it will do for the time being until I re-hang & re-route the exhaust properly.

At the end of all this, the car was running very nicely & the exhaust was quiet again as it wasn't hitting everywhere so I decided to use the Amazon to transport my gf & I to a weekend of sailing (just the other side of Poole) rather than taking her VW Lupo. I am pleased to report that the Amazon performed very well, with plenty of 'go' at motorway speeds and over 211 miles used just 34.5 litres of fuel (about 28mpg).

A big thanks again to all for advice etc.

Last edited by 222s; Oct 8th, 2007 at 17:01.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 19:11   #16
stumph

Glad it's all sorted! Nicely done Wish I had the skills/knowledge to give mine a checkover. I am improving - I know what a carb looks like now

Last edited by stumph; Oct 8th, 2007 at 19:20.
stumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 23:42   #17
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumph View Post
Wish I had the skills/knowledge to give mine a checkover. I am improving - I know what a carb looks like now
Until earlier this year, all I'd done with carbs was to top up the dashpot oil & change air filters, so it's never too late to start learning!!