Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nav display

Views : 986

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2018, 13:31   #1
Roosterb

Default Nav display

Thought our Volvo's were pretty much up to date with technology, but now noticing how many much lower cost cars are really pushing things forwards. I had a bog standard Audi A3 hire car last week in Germany. The display covered the complete instrument panel and the gauges could be re-sized, moved etc. The maps were also using Google maps in Satellite mode. OK the attached picture doesn't show this as I'd just started the engine and realised afterwards that they hadn't loaded yet.
Now.. I wonder whether they've fitted that to the Q7 yet :-)
Made Sensus seem a bit dated. Things don't stand still for long these days...

IMG_0964.JPG
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 13:38   #2
Milliner

Not sure that would be a bog standard A3 in the UK - the display is an option.

I was saying pretty much the same thing a little while back though. I think the 'themes' are already little dated now.

More than that though, I find it odd that the driver display is so restricted that you only have the choice changing the centre to show a small-ish map, the current media output or - well - nothing.

Then, to make those changes, you need to dig into two or three submenus to find it. I test drove the Q7 and you could make changes to the driver display using the instrument stalk.

Commuting to work and back, I don't need the map and would prefer the media display, but if I'm out and about using the nav system, I prefer the map in the middle. This really should be the push of a button (the reset button would do).

It wasn't a dealbreaker, the car is great in all other aspects, but it's a key part of the user experience and being simply software, easily accomplished.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 20:07   #3
Ukwide

Default SatNav

Being old school, I have to disagree with both of you, iPads stuck on dashboards, do they still call them that or are they now media display shelving, is horrid to look at and to stick a map across the speedo etc, even if it is still visible at the bottom of the screen, isn’t aesthetically pleasing to my minds eye. Can’t see me buying a new car again, if they all go down the iPad stuck on car look........
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 21:39   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
Being old school, I have to disagree with both of you, iPads stuck on dashboards, do they still call them that or are they now media display shelving, is horrid to look at and to stick a map across the speedo etc, even if it is still visible at the bottom of the screen, isn’t aesthetically pleasing to my minds eye. Can’t see me buying a new car again, if they all go down the iPad stuck on car look........
I agree with you , imagine that thrust in your face , Car navigation is 80% about listening to voice guidance , you really cant be studying maps on the move from a screen , It is still illegal to watch a TV In a car ..
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 11:05   #5
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
If you look through some brochures, most (all?) cars are going this way now. Analogue dials and buttons, are on the decline, especially in the premium sector. I personally much prefer touch screens and fewer physical buttons, but then I am a tech fan.

Quote:
...imagine that thrust in your face , Car navigation is 80% about listening to voice guidance , you really cant be studying maps on the move from a screen , It is still illegal to watch a TV In a car ..
I personally think Audi's virtual cockpit is pretty cluttered, but when I test drove the Q7, it wasn't distracting. I don't get the 'TV' comment - you don't stare at it, that would be crazy. Personally, if I do need to look at the map, I'd rather it was large and right in front of me and so I could see a couple of turns ahead if I'm in a town. I wish I'd specced the HUD though...

My main point though was that you have little customisation of the driver display and what little there is, you have to pull over and go through the settings menus to amend. My last 3 cars have had driver information displays between the dials that you can easily change using the stalk to show what you need (nav arrows/map, trip computer, media or simply 'nothing' if that's what you want.

All this is just software on the Sensus and could be easily voice controlled: "driver display large map', 'driver display trip computer', 'display nothing' etc..

It all feels a bit half baked to me. Let see what the next-gen brings in 2021.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:09   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
If you look through some brochures, most (all?) cars are going this way now. Analogue dials and buttons, are on the decline, especially in the premium sector. I personally much prefer touch screens and fewer physical buttons, but then I am a tech fan.

I personally think Audi's virtual cockpit is pretty cluttered, but when I test drove the Q7, it wasn't distracting. I don't get the 'TV' comment - you don't stare at it, that would be crazy. Personally, if I do need to look at the map, I'd rather it was large and right in front of me and so I could see a couple of turns ahead if I'm in a town. I wish I'd specced the HUD though...

My main point though was that you have little customisation of the driver display and what little there is, you have to pull over and go through the settings menus to amend. My last 3 cars have had driver information displays between the dials that you can easily change using the stalk to show what you need (nav arrows/map, trip computer, media or simply 'nothing' if that's what you want.

All this is just software on the Sensus and could be easily voice controlled: "driver display large map', 'driver display trip computer', 'display nothing' etc..

It all feels a bit half baked to me. Let see what the next-gen brings in 2021.
Totally agree with the above comments and am also very much into Tech.......
BUT I would still prefer to have say "Two Physical Buttons" that the user can assign a specific option for frequently used tasks that are relevant to them
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 13:12   #7
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Totally agree with the above comments and am also very much into Tech.......
BUT I would still prefer to have say "Two Physical Buttons" that the user can assign a specific option for frequently used tasks that are relevant to them
Yes, I agree with the shortcut button but I wouldn't mind virtual buttons on the Sensus screen. I posted an idea about even using the 'OK' button on the RHS of the steering wheel, which is mostly redundant. Short press, long press, double click etc could all be assigned.

Better voice recognition is the way to go though for me though. Using Alexa at home to search Spotify (or whatever service) has changed how I listen to music now - this should be as standard in a car surely. Even changing a playlist is distracting.

Apparently Volvo are partnering with Google for future software, so lets see where that takes us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milliner For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:57   #8
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
Apparently Volvo are partnering with Google for future software, so lets see where that takes us.
It could lead to a path where Google know even more about you. Let's hope Volvo keep a lid on that.