Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sill or Roof-Mounted Roof Rack?

Views : 2114

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2011, 10:38   #1
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Question Sill or Roof-Mounted Roof Rack?

Hi-All,

I'm about to go on a road-trip of about 5000 miles. A major part of it will be a Geological Tour of America, as I travel from Calgary - Vancouver - S Francisco - NY. Although my Estate has room enough for everything, I'm going to be collecting rocks, and the bigger the better, as all good rock-collectors know (I'll be teaching a course on plate tectonics). Sooo, I have been thinking about a roof rack, but have been hesitating, because I don't like the idea of gouging the trim on the sills. The modern ones look a lot friendlier than what I used to clamp on there, but has anyone tried (and then regretted it)? Instead, I was looking at racks that mount right to the roof - drill 4 holes kind-of thing. I know that seems rather permanent, but if I take the cross-bars off when not in use.... Across the rails I'd mount a torpedo-type luggage carrier, for rocks and mounts for my mountain-bike. I-know, not very 'classic' but - hey - you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Volvo Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 11:21   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Canuck;

The gutter mounts are generally not too damaging, and a good way to go, but if your worried about it, I'd add a piece of gaffer tape to protect gutters from damage (better than duct tape in that it takes a lot longer to deteriorate...at the end of the trip, you will likely be able to just peel it away)...that's certainly a lot less violent than drilling holes, but if you could retrofit an OE rack, there's nothing wrong with that either...

Roof-top carrier is a great idea...it frees up the vehicle inside for more important things...or just plain room...so you're not up to your eyeballs in STUFF...

I caution against loading a carrier with high density items...like rocks!...unless you have IPD anti-sway bars, raising the vehicle CG by having 200lbs in the box will result in mega lean and a much worse roadholding manner than you are used to...BEWARE, if you need to make a sudden MEM (Moose-Evasion-Manoevre)! I suggest you keep your rock sample collection to small ones and stash them down low, like under the seats, while keeping your low-mass luggage up top!

Have a great trip!...it may be slightly out of your way, but suggest you don't miss the Black Hills of South Dakota!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:00   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 122 Canuck View Post
Hi-All,

I'm about to go on a road-trip of about 5000 miles. A major part of it will be a Geological Tour of America, as I travel from Calgary - Vancouver - S Francisco - NY. Although my Estate has room enough for everything, I'm going to be collecting rocks, and the bigger the better, as all good rock-collectors know (I'll be teaching a course on plate tectonics). Sooo, I have been thinking about a roof rack, but have been hesitating, because I don't like the idea of gouging the trim on the sills. The modern ones look a lot friendlier than what I used to clamp on there, but has anyone tried (and then regretted it)? Instead, I was looking at racks that mount right to the roof - drill 4 holes kind-of thing. I know that seems rather permanent, but if I take the cross-bars off when not in use.... Across the rails I'd mount a torpedo-type luggage carrier, for rocks and mounts for my mountain-bike. I-know, not very 'classic' but - hey - you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Where are you going to be teaching? My best mate from school teaches volcanology and geology at a uni in New York State. I know North America is a big place but you never know...
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:09   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

+1 to all that Ron has said. It's probably a bit late in the day to be thinking about putting on a set of rails from a modern car as the roof is a little flexi in places. You'll likely need 2-3 cross braces between the roof and the lining to bolt through. Means lining out etc. I've seen pics, unfortunately not on line of a pair added to a Dutch wagon which I think came from a VW Passat or an Audi wagon. Looked very neat and not out of place. If the spacing is perfect you can use all of the related accesories.
The wagon has a place to allow the spare wheel to be fitted upright against the rear side panel on the driver's (LHD) side. Actually for an extra wheel to allow a pair of snow tyres to be carried. I think it's only uses a hook bolt. If your spare is put there you're left with a good size compartment for your rocks if you put a protective layer of plywood on top of the tank.
Have a great trip. Tales from the road ,and pics, will be expected!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:11   #5
Quarterless
Master Member

I would think that direct roof mounted rails with that kind of weight might bend the roof. Gutter mounts seem a much better idea as the weight transfer will be distributed down the pillars.
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 12:51   #6
Alf ista
Premier Member

Sounds like a great trip. Expecting loads of tales with pictures and said wagon in all! Best of luck!
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:09   #7
asneddon
Master Member

I have used the Thule (sp?) ones for years on the gutter of my Range Rover with no issues. I have 4 little bits of leather I put between the clamps and the gutters though. The pads that sit on the roof have nice wide rubber bases. The clamps are painted with a sort of rubberised paint, but I wouldnt trust that 100% These roof racks carry two sea kayaks and related crap with no issue.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asneddon For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:21   #8
widget

Just throwing this out, but can't you get a hitch for these cars?

Maybe a hitch and a small trailer for your rocks? I kind of doubt anyone would steal rocks from a trailer while your sleeping in a hotel or whatever.

Just a thought. Carry on. =)
widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:37   #9
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Thanks - all-good! I'll go with the sills, some extra padding, and I like the idea of commandeering (sp?) the wheel-well for storage of at least some of said rocks - I wanted to get them out of the way, and thought "up" instead of "down" which makes a lot more sense. So, Derek, a little more detail on the "place" to put the spare wheel... It took me awhile to figure-out you meant INSIDE the car - hahahaha.

Yeah, I can imagine a few good shots of the car at various places will find their way on here. I'm actually moving down to NY to get a PhD in education, but I've also agreed to teach a few courses in earth sciences and chemistry at a private school nearby. I'll be using the school as one place where I can do research. The idea of a geological tour seemed pretty apt, as I'm a big rock-lover (my current job is drilling oil wells and involves examining rock-cuttings), so it would be a shame to miss the opportunity since I have to do the drive anyway. Mitch, I'd love to sit-down with your friend after the trip.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:48   #10
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hey Widget,

You must have posted while I was writing mine. That is a goood idea, but I won't have any time, I don't think - darn! A nice cool little trailer to match the car. I've only concocted this idea in the last few weeks, after thinking about what I wanted to do on the trip. After making the decision, I contacted a Geo friend about it, and he suggested a great book, basically about a guy who travels across the country with different Geos. The book won a Pulitzer prize even....

Back to reading - its 700 pages.