Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement keys and recoding?

Views : 811

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2014, 21:01   #1
2003bhoy

Unhappy Replacement keys and recoding?

How much does it cost for a replacement key, new barrels and recoding for a 2008 V70? I've had the week from hell starting with someone entering the house and lifting my car keys and a watch. Had the Police out who eventually gave me an incident number and told me to claim the house insurance. I'm insured through IGO4, who turned out to be brokers that took all the details on 3 separate occasions then said "The Insurer, Direct Group" will be in touch within 24 hours. After 48 hours I had to chase the insurer up and was dealt with by the worst phone manner ever. After repeating everything 4 times she told me they do not cover for car keys stolen from the house and to contact my car insurance. ( I am awaiting my policy documents to check up on this). I contacted Tesco my car insurers to be told that the loss or theft of keys is an optional extra which was not taken out on my policy. If the house insurance wont pay out it looks like I will have a hefty bill to pay. I have removed all valuables and am using my spare keys at the moment and have a large steering wheel lock with flashing LED as a visual deterrent.

Last edited by 2003bhoy; Oct 17th, 2014 at 21:14.
2003bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 21:42   #2
GrantA
Master Member

Oh dear what a bummer, I believe the only way you will get this done is through your nearest Volvo main stealer as the keys etc are linked through the car's computer system so I suggest you give them a ring - and sit down when you make the call in case you faint at the answer!!

As for the response you have had from your house and car insurers time to change them methinks. I bet every one who reads your post will now be checking their house and car insurance policies!!!!!
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 22:23   #3
kenny
Master Member

Sorry to hear your news, been burglad myself a few years ago.

Each key is coded to the car so you could get your local dealer to deactivate the stolen key, the little ####s could still open the car but the alarm would go off and they wouldn't be able to start it.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 08:52   #4
volvo145
Premier Member

That's a bummer and can appreciate what you are going through having been broken into couple of times a number of years ago.
It would appear that this company have a lot of stuff that is not covered unless you pay extra. Maybe they charge less for cover because of this but if you counted everything up they might not be so cheap in the end.
I don't use internet companies at all as I can get a better deal with a local insurance broker . If you have a problem he deals with it.
If you are to change everything at the dealer it might be cheaper to change the car for peace of mind. That's just a thought and worth investigating to compare costs imho.
I hope you get this sorted out as quickly as possible .
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 21:44   #5
generaldukes

Hello there,
Sorry to hear your bad news,
I have just had a new replacement key fob made up for my xc70,
I had it done at a volvo independent at a cost of £140.
It's the cartridge type that slots into the dash board and opens and locks car etc
generaldukes is offline   Reply With Quote