Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo models across Europe to warn each other

Views : 2916

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 07:55   #31
spitz

Default Waze?

Anyone familiar with the Waze navigation app will already have access to this type of information sharing while driving, with the advantage that it works irrespective of the brand of car you are travelling in.

I’m not knocking Volvo (I’ve been loyal to the brand for many years) but this does not feel to be anything revolutionary.
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 08:45   #32
Fursty Ferret

I suppose it's possible that your car would detect a bit of wheel-slip that the driver doesn't notice, Waze couldn't do?
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:55   #33
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
I’m not knocking Volvo (I’ve been loyal to the brand for many years) but this does not feel to be anything revolutionary.
If you don't use a connected Map/Phone (Google/Waze) and rely on Volvo maps, this is a decent improvement - as the process works from you and for you, irrespective of your own tech setup.

As it's a Volvo alert, it will presumably appear on the driver's dashboard console as well as the Sensus.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 14:15   #34
bigx86

Quote:
Anyone familiar with the Waze navigation app will already have access to this type of information sharing while driving, with the advantage that it works irrespective of the brand of car you are travelling in.

Your absolutely wrong my friend. Waze can´t share this type of information unless you have the phone glued on the tyre and a sensor checks when the wheels slip
bigx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 16:31   #35
Polestar08

Quote:

Waze allows you to report dangerous situations so other users get a warning... however it does imply an action by the driver (or cooperative passenger)... and I’m not 100% sure Waze forwards any report immediately or waits for recurring reports as a check...
Anyway, when an icy road gets you to hit a tree I’m not sure if the first thing you’ll do is pushing that button to warn others
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 16:52   #36
spitz

Default Waze

Interesting comments re Waze, which I accept and I am certainly not suggesting what Volvo are doing is a bad thing.

I am however in the camp that is concerned how complicated modern cars are getting, especially as regards software. My car is a 2012 vintage and for me has more than enough ‘bells & whistles’. But then maybe that is a whole separate discussion
spitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 23:17   #37
Fursty Ferret

Just got this in my V60. It asks you to confirm the sharing of location info and mobile data usage when you activate it. Presumably at this point it just sits in the background.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 18:53   #38
huib berger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatss60 View Post
Volvo models across Europe to warn each other of slippery roads and hazards

Free?

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ds-and-hazards
My 2nd-hand 2017 xc90 imported from Sweden has this feature already. I only just recently switched it on after Volvo Netherlands announced it for new models. I have not had any warnings yet (probably because very few othercars have this to date)
huib berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 11:09   #39
theronin

my19 xc60 went in for its service last week and was updated with this feature.
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote