Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

oil filter change

Views : 759

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:35   #1
marco24v

Default oil filter change

Hello all. Im looking at servicing my car myself and was wondering where do I purchase the oil filter tool from? its an s60 t5 2002 model.

Thanks Marc
marco24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 13:53   #2
oragex
Premier Member

86mm 16 flute
Ebay, Amazon.. look for a quality one and tighten just slightly, no forcing
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 17:09   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Even though there are umpteen thousand videos on the subject, do remember:

1) Don't scratch the plastic housing (the thing you unscrew which houses the filter) when removing the large O-ring. Use a plastic pick of any sort. Don't just dig away madly with a screwdriver.

2) Make sure you set the new O-ring in its groove not next to it.

3) DO NOT forget to oil the O-ring before installation.

4) As oragex said DO NOT over tighten. You'll feel the housing bottom out when the shoulder lands. Just a touch of tightening is needed.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 21:40   #4
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile oil change

You can also use a 36mm socket, on the oil filter housing (but with an extension bar so you have some room to use a ratchet) google 'oil filter socket low profile'. The location of the filter on the D5 engine makes it so much easier than many engines where the filter is hard to get to and you endup with oil running down your arm as you unscrew it. So it really is an easy but messy job, i would invest in a drain pan with a spout so you can easily pour the old oil back into a 5L oil can. Biggest faff is taking the under tray off (10mm bolts) before you can get at the drain plug.

George n k.. makes some great points, you might also want to get a spare washer for the drain plug as these often end up falling in the oil drain pan. oops just sww yours is a T5, so might be slightly different..

Last edited by Thassos; Apr 26th, 2019 at 21:42. Reason: t5 not d5
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 00:08   #5
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

you dont NEED the tool but it does of course mean your wont screw the plastic body up that contains the oil filter.

you could gently nip a clamp on their and rotate, or use the strap type oil filter tool if you already have one
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 05:51   #6
kymg

Just changed my oil this morning. I reckon it took about twenty minutes.

My advice would be to buy the correct bit. FCP or IPD sell 'em. And you can probably get one off EBay.

Oil changes are simple.

Wear gloves, keep an oil tray under the filter when removing it.

Have a spare sump plug that you can use when bunging up the hole. That way you don't have to fish around in the oil to find the one you just took out. Always change the sump plug washer.

Ramps make the job so much easier. Get some.

Put a decent sized sheet of cardboard on the ground to catch the spills.

And use decent oil. I use full synthetic in my NA 2002 V70. Change it every 7,500km. I know it is pretty frequent but I figure it is cheap insurance.

Good luck.
kymg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kymg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 11:41   #7
oragex
Premier Member

When switching the first time from mineral to synthetic oil, it is good to keep a close eye on the oil level for the first days/weeks, and maybe also replace the filter only sooner, as the engine may start consume oil for the next 5-10k miles, and the filter will also get clogged quickly as synthetic oil removes a lot of oil deposits having a higher detergent content
Old May 3rd, 2019, 16:20   #8
marco24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
86mm 16 flute
Ebay, Amazon.. look for a quality one and tighten just slightly, no forcing
I've just bought one from GSF 86mm 16 and it doesn't quite fit. Any suggestions?
Old May 3rd, 2019, 20:34   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Too tight, too loose?

If it's loose you can put tape on the filter housing to shim it out. Leave the tape in place when you're done.
You can add a filler (piece of an old belt or inner tube) into the cup to eat up the slack.

I always used my old metal strap wrench. The clearance only allows for a 15º swing but 2 or 3 such nudges is enough to free the housing so you can unscrew it by hand.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2019, 20:59   #10
marco24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Too tight, too loose?

If it's loose you can put tape on the filter housing to shim it out. Leave the tape in place when you're done.
You can add a filler (piece of an old belt or inner tube) into the cup to eat up the slack.

I always used my old metal strap wrench. The clearance only allows for a 15º swing but 2 or 3 such nudges is enough to free the housing so you can unscrew it by hand.
its too small. need a slightly bigger one.