Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying new XC90 D5 2011

Views : 443

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 15:16   #1
na13zz

Default Buying new XC90 D5 2011

Hello all,

I am looking at a couple of XC90s to purchase from the year 2011. I see one with the picture of armrest box and it only has "AUX". Do XC90s not have usb playback option? The models i am looking at, have screens for the rear passengers so i am guessing that they have the higher version of stereo provided by volvo? I was hoping for carplay or usb playback option to be in these cars since my 2010 BMW 3 series all these.

Any tips or anything to look out for, will be appreciated.

Cheers
na13zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:24   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) is independent of the type of stereo system fitted. Standard Euro RSE is a single DVD player in the center console, with RCA AUX IN on the center console facing the rear seat.

RSE can play through AUX channel to have sound through speakers

If USB interface is fitted, check for USB socket in glovebox

No carplay options exist for these cars.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:32   #3
na13zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) is independent of the type of stereo system fitted. Standard Euro RSE is a single DVD player in the center console, with RCA AUX IN on the center console facing the rear seat.

RSE can play through AUX channel to have sound through speakers

If USB interface is fitted, check for USB socket in glovebox

No carplay options exist for these cars.
Thanks for the reply. What can you do with the USB? Can it read off an iphone? Also is it used to update navigation maps as well (this is what my BMW used to do with the USB in glovebox). What about the bluetooth streaming audio?

Last edited by na13zz; Apr 23rd, 2019 at 16:46.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 16:50   #4
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

The 2011 model will play from usb and an iPhone/iPod when connected to the usb socket via the appropriate lead to the usb socket in the glovebox. It has Bluetooth but not audio over Bluetooth (2012/13 cars had this). Apple car play came many years after 2011. The sat nav is updated by a dvd that loads onto a hard disk this is located under the drivers seat. The rear screen entertainment was optional and played via a dvd in the central arm rest.
The 2011 models were the first to have the Euro v diesel (200 PS)
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 22:07   #5
Odysseus

I didn’t think Apple CarPlay was a BMW option until 2017!

The bluetooth and USB steaming in the XC90 works pretty well - it’s what I have in my 2012 model. You can adjust the volume and advance through tracks all from the steering wheel, from Amazon music as well as Apple music. I haven’t tried with Spotify.

Aside from muting the volume during directions there’s no interaction between the navigation and stereo. They aren’t integrated units as they might be in Mercs or BMWs or later Volvos.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 23:11   #6
na13zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I didn’t think Apple CarPlay was a BMW option until 2017!

The bluetooth and USB steaming in the XC90 works pretty well - it’s what I have in my 2012 model. You can adjust the volume and advance through tracks all from the steering wheel, from Amazon music as well as Apple music. I haven’t tried with Spotify.

Aside from muting the volume during directions there’s no interaction between the navigation and stereo. They aren’t integrated units as they might be in Mercs or BMWs or later Volvos.
Sorry, i meant usb playback. I see other '11 and '12 volvos with Carplay (S60, XC 60 etc) though so i thought they'd have it in XC90 as well
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 06:07   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
There's a reasonable amount of interaction between nav and stereo:

The nav reduces the volume (doesn't mute it) of the front speakers during voice instructions

The voice comes out the driver's door speaker only, (or center speaker if a surround system is fitted). This way the passengers are less bothered by the voice.

The nav also issues a Ding if other higher-priority audio signals such as Telephone or Traffic Announcements are occurring.

The nav voice comes through even when the stereo is turned off.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:16   #8
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The nav reduces the volume (doesn't mute it) of the front speakers during voice instructions.
Not on mine. If I'm streaming music from my iPhone and the stern navigation lady gives directions or has something to say, it pauses (essentially muting) the playback during the issuing of instructions.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 11:52   #9
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Not on mine. If I'm streaming music from my iPhone and the stern navigation lady gives directions or has something to say, it pauses (essentially muting) the playback during the issuing of instructions.
My 2005 does this on CD play back (I use a Dennison so iPhone) but when on radio it does just reduce the volume as Swiss states above. It can’t really pause radio where as it can with the other functions.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 14:25   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Great feedback

So the nav:
  • Pauses inputs that it can pause (iPod, iPhone, CD) when issuing voice instructions
  • Reduces volume on inputs that it cannot pause (Radio) when issuing voice instructions
  • Issues a DING on inputs that have higher priority and are currently active (Traffic Announcements, Telephone)

I must verify the pausing vs reducing volume on my car, I've never noticed the difference (and now I feel like I've missed something...)