Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Progressive Lowering Springs

Views : 6487

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 17:06   #21
Bristol603

I had an email exchange with John Parker and his view was that my springs were not faulty as the free length had not changed.

Last edited by Bristol603; Mar 29th, 2013 at 18:27.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 20:45   #22
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would be inclined to agree with him if it was not for the fact that the car sat much lower on one side and fitting a new set of springs cured the problem. I suspect the one of the springs has just gone soft . On the up side at least you did get a reply from him.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 23:14   #23
Bristol603

Dai,

I did make exactly that point to John, but he was of the view that it wasn't possible for the spring rate to change if the resting length hadn't changed.

I wondered if the metallurgy of the spring wire had changed and so changed its torsional stiffness, e.g. It had lost its temper. However, I'm not a metallurgist either!

In the end, if you buy something from someone on the other side of the planet, then your options are limited if something goes wrong.

Caveat Emptor.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 23:28   #24
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I will pose the question to my spring manufacture. I'm sure they would be able to explain the cause acuratly.

It would have been a good idea to have put them in a spring tester. I am certain they would have come up with differnt rates.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 02:25   #25
tdz840
VOC Member

Can't you test that easily?
Springs off the car and on a flat surface. Known weight on top and measure the deflection.
Do the same for the other spring and note any difference.
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 20:19   #26
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

To do it acuratly you need something like this
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deco-H...0-Lbs,231.html
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 02:49   #27
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
To do it acuratly you need something like this
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deco-H...0-Lbs,231.html
That's what I was thinking Dai, uses the same principle when you check spring rates on valve springs. That's a nice bit of kit but pricey for what is something that will sit in a corner most of its life!
However here you are not looking for an accurate assessment of the spring rate at a given ride height. Just a difference in spring rates between coils from each side of the car.
A 20 kilo weight on the spring should deflect it a measured distance, check the other one and if its different then their is a difference of temper in each spring.
your not looking to accutately measure this just determine if there is a difference.
the heavier the mass the more change in rate will be noted.
If you can detect a difference then you have something to show Mr Parker
Russ
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 03:00   #28
tdz840
VOC Member

Bristol603
It will probably be a waste of time as this particular vendor doesn't appear to hold customer values in high regard.
This is not from experience just general consensus.
However despite selling what appears to be unique kit, there appears many instances where the kit isn't up to standard or just doesn't arrive.
More people need to be aware of actual issues and therefore if you could determine these springs were not of marketable value and JP refuses to deal with it then this forum and the general volvo community need to be aware.
Two things will then change, JP and lack of sales
Doesn't help you're situation but could for some other person down the line
Russ
PS Dai is a valued member and provides springs at multiple ride heights-good value too
http://www.classicswede.com/amazon-p1800.html
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 20:37   #29
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Yes just putting something heavy on them and measureing should do the trick. You would need about a 600-800lb weight to get enough compression to give a reasonable idea of any differnce.

As the spring is progressive it will most likely be the softest part that has gone weak but there is a small chance that somewhere further up is where the problem is.
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 14:01   #30
suneilx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol603 View Post
Dear All,

I am new to Amazon ownership and I have been spending the last few months working on my 1966 122S. One of the jobs I have done is fitting lowering springs. The fronts are progressives and the rears are single rate. They are 40mm lower. I had previously fitted a Simonz sports exhaust and so I was a little concerned about ground clearance when lowered.

In case the information is of any use to others, I can report that after fitting the 40mm lowering springs the ground clearance is 19cm at the sills and 10cm at the lowest point of the exhaust (mid section). I have been driving on the lowered springs for about 600 miles now and I have not had any clearance issues even over the many local speed humps and pot holes.

I fitted new Bilsteins at the same time and I had previously polybushed the whole suspension. The car is running 5.5 inch Minilites and 195/65 15 tyres. The front antiroll bar is standard.

I am very impressed with the new springs and shocks. The ride is vastly improved and puts many modern cars to shame. Roll in the corners is also reduced. I have not yet been brave enough to get to the limit of the grip when cornering.

I was a bit concerned about how the car would look when lowered. I didn't want it to look silly. I attach a photo so you can judge for yourself.

Best Wishes,

Nigel.
hi nigel, i know this is an old post but i am planning on doing pretty much this exact thing.. but the link to the photo no longer works. are you able to repost how your amazon looked with this set up? i just want to make sure the 40mm and 195/65's come together as i hope they would look. thanks..
suneilx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suneilx For This Useful Post: