Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A £1.50 engine upgrade for D4 VEA owners

Views : 20595

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2016, 07:28   #31
LF1991

I don't see why it would. I discussed it with my dealer yesterday because the rep noticed it was smoother than his to drive. The techs at the garage thought it was a good idea.
Also if anyone has the new D4 AWD, I had one yesterday whilst my car was in getting polestar. The pipe on that is even tighter than than mine was.
2015 S60 D4 SE Lux, Inscription White, Driver Support Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Titania wheels, Active 4C chassis, Cream Leather, Power driver + passenger seats, rear boot spoiler, bodykit, polestar + K&N filter.

Last edited by LF1991; May 20th, 2016 at 08:59.
LF1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LF1991 For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2016, 19:04   #32
Robbiefen100

Just fitted a 200mm length of hose, easy job.

I removed the rubber engine cover as its simple to do and does give a little more room for the fingers. Mine had wire around most of the hose length, so I slipped it off and put in the middle of the new one so it looks ok / authentic

Only had a short drive so will know any difference once next week's commuting starts so will add any comments later
Old May 23rd, 2016, 17:45   #33
Robbiefen100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiefen100 View Post
Just fitted a 200mm length of hose, easy job.

I removed the rubber engine cover as its simple to do and does give a little more room for the fingers. Mine had wire around most of the hose length, so I slipped it off and put in the middle of the new one so it looks ok / authentic

Only had a short drive so will know any difference once next week's commuting starts so will add any comments later
The one that came off was 158mm by the way
Driving today = there is a difference!
Not sure how to describe it other than a slightly more responsive / eager engine. Maybe the first smaller turbo starts sooner now, or is already spinning whereas before was idle?
I need to drive a bit more to know I'm not just imagining it, but the engine is smoother somehow?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 18:25   #34
cheshired5
Premier Member

Has anyone put a vacuum tester on this pipe before and after replacement to measure if this actually improves the vacuum available or monitored and compared MAP values at low revs?
Old May 25th, 2016, 20:47   #35
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Has anyone put a vacuum tester on this pipe before and after replacement to measure if this actually improves the vacuum available or monitored and compared MAP values at low revs?
Reading the MAP values before and after a pipe swap is probably the only way to test properly. Plumbing a vac gauge into the pipe will change the length, internal diameter and flow characteristics of the pipe anyway, which would skew results ...
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 08:25   #36
gavsteryoung

I just took at quick look at mine, its an older 2015 181hp version and the pipe does not look all that tight to me....

Do you think this engine would benefit from the cheap mod?

The tiny little pipe to the right of the braided one (you can just see it) looks to be a much tighter angle, although maybe not providing such a critical role!

gavsteryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 09:35   #37
craigv60
Master Member

It's hard to say without pushing back the mesh cover on the hose to have a proper look.

The smaller-diameter hose you mention is the vacuum feed into the solenoid from the main vacuum manifold, so that's important too - just check its run and curves to make sure it isn't kinking / folding too much.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 10:23   #38
Fursty Ferret

Changed mine this morning - didn't notice any difference but I tend to leave in the somewhat asthmatic ECO mode most of the time anyway.

The original hose on mine was about 170mm (2016 model year) so it could be that Volvo have twigged in the factory. Replaced it with one that's 200mm.

Considering how hard it was to get the old pipe off this one went on remarkably easily, so if I get the Tortoise of Despair™ on the drive into work tomorrow I'll know what the problem is...
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 18:43   #39
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I wonder what Volvo would say if there was an engine issue which was being rectified under warranty and it required them to look in the area where your have replaced this pipe and they noticed that it had been changed?
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 20:10   #40
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I wonder what Volvo would say if there was an engine issue which was being rectified under warranty and it required them to look in the area where your have replaced this pipe and they noticed that it had been changed?
Not much, as they would have a hard time proving altering the pipe length 30mm would have ill effects or be classed as a significant change to standard specification to void a warranty.

Now altering the software for more performance, or the air filtration, after market lowering etc these things may cause issues as you have potentially altered the specification significantly.

It is still something to consider.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote