Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non-Forum Events

Views : 3794

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 23:29   #21
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
But Ian - this is not an "official" other forum meet (do such things exist) this is a meet I organised and just happen to be collecting a list of names on the forum I use most of the time. It's not restricted only to that forums members so I don't understand your logic. I'm a member on every volvo forum because I believe in bollox to the politics it's about the people and the cars and every one of my meets is open to everyone and trust me no one restricts them.

I think what you are doing in this particular case is restricting things which supprises me cos we've chatted in person and I see you as a very intelligent guy hence this whole thing has confused me.

I wonder then if I wasn't a VOC member would I be welcomed at your monthly meets?

*scratches head*

Hey your the mod - if you want to implement this rule it's up to you. I personally just think it's going to work against the community and your members.

I've had my say - I won't say any more but this isn't very welcoming behaviour from a leader in the Volvo community such as yourself. I hope there's some good reason behind it somewhere.

Goodbye and goodnight...

Andrew.
Andrew, I've already mentioned to you in the last post that I PMD arbee telling him that the post was saved. The whole situation regarding the posting of events has to start from a clean base, that is why I took the post down for moderation. You know that anybody is welcome at our meets much in the same way in that you made me welcome at the event that you organised earlier this year. Arbee knows that I will contact him this weekend about the post.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 23:34   #22
AndrewC

damn - ok promise last post then I'll let it go.

The point I was trying to make was

a) it was an open meeting - your policy stated you didn't want other forums to benefit from VOC popularity. Our meeting wasn't promoting any other forums it was for the benefit of *all* members.

b) I believe the policy in general will restrict things by it's very nature. If people can't post meets freely and have to have them policed what's the point. ? the members here could simply loose out, members of other forums stop offering hands of friendship and it degregates to them and us.

BUT as I said your forum your rules just adding my £0.02

EDIT: Yes Julie the post was removed (although saved and may reapear at a later point)

Last edited by AndrewC; Oct 13th, 2006 at 23:37.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 23:38   #23
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDMeanor View Post
Hi AndrewC & Arbee

So, what's going on here if you don't mind me asking. From what I can gather, you posted up about a meet inviting VOC forum members and it was deleted???
Julie, the thread read " A kind fellow Volvo sole has invited us to his pub in King's Lynn on 12th November. Got a descent number allready -care to join in". Here's the link that was posted in the thread: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14359

</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Oct 13th, 2006 at 23:42.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 23:38   #24
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Quote:
Hi AndrewC & Arbee

So, what's going on here if you don't mind me asking. From what I can gather, you posted up about a meet inviting VOC forum members and it was deleted???
Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what appears to have happened. If I'm wrong, I will apologise for what I'm about to say.

I joined the VOC because it was run by good, honest people and provided a safe place for freedom of speech. I've had a rough trot from different forums and this one was the one that was fundamentally placid, accepting, open-minded and open-spirited.

This has changed of late and this latest occurence is the last straw for me. I am fed up with deletions, editing and bad judgements. I feel that my safe haven and representation of the strong structure of the VOC has gone.

I no longer wish to be a part of it. Please sort yourselves out.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 15:21   #25
Bob
Club Director

Smile Business as normal.

I have been ill in bed for the past few days so this thread could not be re-opened in the time span previously promised.

All events organised by any other party, organisation, etc., will continue to be freely advertised on this forum without any need for approval. This has worked well in the past and hopefully will continue to do so.

There was a valid reason why the thread was removed and this has now been resolved. So let's continue with what we all enjoy most - our Volvo's.

Bob

1995 850 T5 auto estate. 280hp 289K miles and purrrs
2009 Jap import V70 2.5T 200hp 51K miles
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 18:57   #26
Grizlyadams
RWD FTW!!!

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what appears to have happened. If I'm wrong, I will apologise for what I'm about to say.

I joined the VOC because it was run by good, honest people and provided a safe place for freedom of speech. I've had a rough trot from different forums and this one was the one that was fundamentally placid, accepting, open-minded and open-spirited.

This has changed of late and this latest occurence is the last straw for me. I am fed up with deletions, editing and bad judgements. I feel that my safe haven and representation of the strong structure of the VOC has gone.

I no longer wish to be a part of it. Please sort yourselves out.
Im with you julie, im off to hide at the friendlier and better modderated turbobricks forums. Im sick of all the hate and politics going on here. Good luck and good bye.
Griz
Grizlyadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 21:40   #27
AndrewC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I have been ill in bed for the past few days so this thread could not be re-opened in the time span previously promised.

All events organised by any other party, organisation, etc., will continue to be freely advertised on this forum without any need for approval. This has worked well in the past and hopefully will continue to do so.

There was a valid reason why the thread was removed and this has now been resolved. So let's continue with what we all enjoy most - our Volvo's.

Bob
Bob/IC glad to hear that whatever caused the problem has now been resolved and common sense has prevailed. Thank you.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 21:20   #28
MissDMeanor
Corruption rules

Thanks for that Bob.

Please could we have it back to how it used to be.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 21:19   #29
JUDGENINJA

IC - So what's the score with me mentioning that I'm attending an event organised by another member of another forum..? Can I post a link to the event..?.... just thought I'd ask....

I read this the other day and after thinking ....then having to go and lie down.... I had a cunning Idea rather than restricting people informing others about events, collecting lists and doing the usual forum rubbish, maybe VOC supported events could carry a thread tag or have a special VOC watermark of approval given it by the moderators. Then if they are gathering momentum then it could be made sticky to stop it from tumbling down the list by all us reprobates posting up that we are going shopping if another Volvo member is within 100miles.. I know that the moderators are very active here and would be able to turn off the sticky status to keep all active events current..

If I was to invite everyone to my house or mention that I'm doing a track day and can help out with booking and information. I'm going to be deleted...?

Right I'll go back into my box now.....!!!!
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 21:30   #30
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA View Post
IC - So what's the score with me mentioning that I'm attending an event organised by another member of another forum..? Can I post a link to the event..?.... just thought I'd ask....

I read this the other day and after thinking ....then having to go and lie down.... I had a cunning Idea rather than restricting people informing others about events, collecting lists and doing the usual forum rubbish, maybe VOC supported events could carry a thread tag or have a special VOC watermark of approval given it by the moderators. Then if they are gathering momentum then it could be made sticky to stop it from tumbling down the list by all us reprobates posting up that we are going shopping if another Volvo member is within 100miles.. I know that the moderators are very active here and would be able to turn off the sticky status to keep all active events current..

If I was to invite everyone to my house or mention that I'm doing a track day and can help out with booking and information. I'm going to be deleted...?

Right I'll go back into my box now.....!!!!
Hi, thanks for your thoughts. Your post won't be deleted! Arbee's post was only temporarily deleted being put back up on the Saturday. I take your point about making a post a sticky - people just need to ask, however all the events would have to be a sticky to be fair to everybody. There are a fair few events going on! Maybe we can have a calendar listing each months events so that people can see what's going on? What do people think?

</font></font>