Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VOC Speed Challenge

Views : 2088

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 00:49   #11
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

rupert , i got sound checked at loton park - and was easily ok .
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 02:25   #12
JUDGENINJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Man View Post
Bother! That rules me out then.............
I saw a few cars running muffler inserts borrowed from the organisers (I think)at Japfest (or some japanese car show) at Castle combe last year, so you may not be ruled out...
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 02:33   #13
JUDGENINJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC View Post
Hi, there's sprints all over the country! If you want any help just let me know!
Iain - On your shedule the only one that is close for me (within 100miles) was the Cheshire on) if you can find Sprints up here (North Wales/West England) then I'll be up for getting some competitive experience next year...

who do you write to to get the Licence ( for next year )..?
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:30   #14
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA View Post
Iain - On your shedule the only one that is close for me (within 100miles) was the Cheshire on) if you can find Sprints up here (North Wales/West England) then I'll be up for getting some competitive experience next year...

who do you write to to get the Licence ( for next year )..?
Hi, here's a link to a PDF file of the application form for a competition licence so that you can have alook at the form. It's a National B Non-race Licence that you need. This is for a current '06, licence. Licences are renewed every January so there is no point in paying just for the last remaining months as there are no events.
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...pplication.pdf

The MSA site is: http://www.msauk.org/site/custom/hom...asp?chapter=22

I'll get back to you about events and to give you more information. I did Llandow in south Wales in May and that was a 340 mile round trip!

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Oct 25th, 2006 at 11:32.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 13:59   #15
JUDGENINJA

Cheers. apart from Ty-Croes (Anglesey) track which is on my door step (literally), Aulton and the one down in mid wales are my closest tracks, so I would be looking at a 200-300mile round trip for most events. s long as I can budget correctly it shouldn't be an issue.... OK task added to my Outlook - "Get B-licence" so expect a load more questions then......

Oh yeah and I suppose I'd better better join up to the VOC then....
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 14:13   #16
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGENINJA View Post
Cheers. apart from Ty-Croes (Anglesey) track which is on my door step (literally), Aulton and the one down in mid wales are my closest tracks, so I would be looking at a 200-300mile round trip for most events. s long as I can budget correctly it shouldn't be an issue.... OK task added to my Outlook - "Get B-licence" so expect a load more questions then......

Oh yeah and I suppose I'd better better join up to the VOC then....
Hi, it's been a bit of a trek for me to get to events as well - especially the Llandow meet. I've recently moved so Castle Coombe is only about 75ish miles away. There are sprints held all over the country - I'll do some research and see what's going on next year and get back to you! Good to hear that you're joining the VOC!

</font></font>

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 00:51   #17
JUDGENINJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC View Post
...... Good to hear that you're joining the VOC!
It's doesn't mean that I'm going to turn all sensible..!!!!

no doubt i'll be stalking you soon...
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:36   #18
Sprintman
VOC Member

You will need a National B Non-Race licence which you can get from the Motor Sports Association for £35. You will need a fireproof Nomex suit and a crash helmet that has been passed by the MSA. Cars have to have a piece of yellow tape on the negative terminal of the battery and a directional on/off sticker beside the ignition so that in the case of an accident a marshall knows which way to turn the ignition off. You will also need a timing strut which is a rectangular piece of metal that fixes on your car's number plate that breaks the laser at the start and finish of each run. If you have a battery inside the car it will have to be a dry type due to new regulations. Your car will need to pass scrutiny by a simple safety inspection by the marshalls, there will also be a sound check on the exhaust.

Hi all, I can confirm that sprinting is exciting and b****y good fun. The entry fee for many 'local' sprints on old airfields and the like is only about £40 - £50. You can join a local or an area association Sprint championship for about £7 - £10 and you should automatically receive all the 'Regs' [the Supplementary Regulations which give you all the information for the event] for the events which count toward the championship. For National 'B' status events I think you can still get away with Proban race suits which are cheaper than Nomex, however when talking about your personal protection it's always best to get the best you can afford! Helmets must be to A/FR standard I think it is - don't have a Blue Book in front of me. Battery can be under the bonnet or inside the car - if inside the car must be a dry cell or if a wet cell it must be enclosed in a battery box.

If you go to the MSA website you should find in there somewhere a link to discover your local motor club, then you can contact the club competition secretary who'll be able to tell you more about that club's activities.
'98 V70 AWD. '98 V70 SE.
'96 855 2.0 20v - Gone. '82 244 GLT- Gone, but not forgotten. '61 122S - Long gone!!
Sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 19:41   #19
AndrewC

IC : As I'm tinkering with an old S70 for track day fun - this might be a nice introduction so I'd be interested in hearing more. Dyou you know who does those race suits for fat blokes then ?
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 19:53   #20
IC
S60R/V70R

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
IC : As I'm tinkering with an old S70 for track day fun - this might be a nice introduction so I'd be interested in hearing more. Dyou you know who does those race suits for fat blokes then ?
Hi Andrew, I'll post info about next year's sprints later on when I get the information. Well I got a suit with ample room so there's no probs with sizes, I borrowed a suit for my first race and had to lose weight to fit into it - lol!
I've got a Sparco two layer now - if you want any advice on suits just let me know! It would be great to have a few more Volvos racing next year - I look forward to seeing your racing S70 on the track!

</font></font>