Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key spins in door

Views : 582

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 17:15   #1
DeanH

Default Key spins in door

Ever since I bought my V70 the driver's door lock just spins and doesn't actuate the mechanism. Hasn't bothered me until now but my central locking is suddenly losing range so I don't want to get caught out.

I assume there's a grub screw type of thing in the side of the door which is no longer doing its job. Does anyone have a bit more information or some diagrams/photos before I tear everything apart?
DeanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 17:34   #2
petey
Master Member

Don’t quote me, but it should be a freewheeling lock.
Back in’t day a lock would be unmoving until the correct key freed the tumblers and allowed it to turn. However, chap with bad intentions would jam a screwdriver into the lock and force it to turn, opening the mechanism.
Peugeot (I think) came up with freewheeling locks whereby the outward components wouldn’t connect to the inners unless the correct key joined the two. As a result, the wrong key, or a screwdriver, would just spin, prevent this hardcore attack.

You may have the wrong key for the lock, or lack of use has lead it to ‘jam’. Lubrication is the first stage, or if you’re very concerned, remove it and work it in your hand.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 08:28   #3
DeanH

It still moves freely, lubrication isn't an issue. Interesting to know I may have the wrong key though.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 17:01   #4
petey
Master Member

Yes, but if the mechanism was jammed it would move freely!
I appreciate that doesn’t sound like it makes sense, but actually it does.

If the tumblers and springs are jammed, then they won’t release the mechanism that joins the outer part to the inner, and all you will do is freewheel the outer all the time, unconnected to the inner.

Like I say though, don’t quote me, I’ve not taken a Volvo one apart....
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 18:00   #5
DeanH

Ah, I understand what you mean. Presumably when you turn the net it actuates a rod which moves the locking mechanism on the side of the door.

I was fiddling with it earlier and noticed that my barrel sits diagonally when the key is removed. I assume it should be either vertical or horizontal.

Hopefully we get some good weather soon so that I can strip it down and have a proper look.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 21:46   #6
Danhere

My door barrel went limp like that aswell.
Got the garage to fit another one but they couldnt get the key to activate the central locking.(will open the door manually, so u can get in if the battery is dead).
Sometimes the rod that slots into the central locking falls out and wont activate the locking(its quite a loose part with a spade that slots into the central locking mechanism) (the mechanic could use a screwdriver but not get the replacement second hand key that came with the handle/ barrel, to operate the central locking).

I tried to see if i could remove the old barrel from the handle and noticed some of the casting which holds the rod in place, that operates the central locking, had broken off, rendering the rod too free to be able to get leverage to turn the central locking mech.( horrible light alloy casting, i broke off the other similar lug/bits while trying to remove the barrel).

So the old/new one works as a door handle and will open the car door but wont connect with the central locking.
Even though it seemed like a mechanical failure, the fact the new key wouldnt fully function, made me think it was possibly the chip in the key causing an issue.

U might have better luck than me getting the door mech to work properly but it sounds like it might be the same issue of the casting breaking.
If ur lucky, its just this, the rod has fallen out of its slot.

Think i read about people ordering car specific door barrels from volvo at the usually ridiculous price but not sure if they will stock anymore.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 07:15   #7
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhere View Post
My door barrel went limp like that aswell.
Got the garage to fit another one but they couldnt get the key to activate the central locking.(will open the door manually, so u can get in if the battery is dead).
Sometimes the rod that slots into the central locking falls out and wont activate the locking(its quite a loose part with a spade that slots into the central locking mechanism) (the mechanic could use a screwdriver but not get the replacement second hand key that came with the handle/ barrel, to operate the central locking).

I tried to see if i could remove the old barrel from the handle and noticed some of the casting which holds the rod in place, that operates the central locking, had broken off, rendering the rod too free to be able to get leverage to turn the central locking mech.( horrible light alloy casting, i broke off the other similar lug/bits while trying to remove the barrel).

So the old/new one works as a door handle and will open the car door but wont connect with the central locking.
Even though it seemed like a mechanical failure, the fact the new key wouldnt fully function, made me think it was possibly the chip in the key causing an issue.

U might have better luck than me getting the door mech to work properly but it sounds like it might be the same issue of the casting breaking.
If ur lucky, its just this, the rod has fallen out of its slot.

Think i read about people ordering car specific door barrels from volvo at the usually ridiculous price but not sure if they will stock anymore.
Still haven't got around to fixing this, thanks for reminding me it needs doing! Does the fact that my central locking operates the door rule out a problem with the rod?
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 18:30   #8
Danhere

No, the rod with the spade works for the key only
Mine still works with the fob also.

There is a brief video online somewhere, of a guy demonstrating the issue of the spade end having fallen out.
It really is quite a loose fitting thing.

Last edited by Danhere; Apr 24th, 2019 at 18:34.
Danhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 11:05   #9
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danhere View Post
No, the rod with the spade works for the key only
Mine still works with the fob also.

There is a brief video online somewhere, of a guy demonstrating the issue of the spade end having fallen out.
It really is quite a loose fitting thing.
Makes sense. What's the easiest way to remove the barrel to inspect the rod and spade? I tried to look internally when I replaced my door card recently but there was a steel guard in the way..
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 19:38   #10
Danhere

haynes manual shows that u can disasemble from the front of the door handle but the mechanic took the door card off aswell.
The barrel has a spring clip thing holding it in place in the handle assembly but in trying to remove the barrel i just ended up breaking off the other vital bits of casting and got nowhere.