Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake cable Grommets

Views : 1399

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 17:36   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
None of the 700/900 series (including IRS) have these threaded adjusters on the opposite side of the shoes to the actuating mechanism. If some of you have seen them before then it'll be on 140/164 or 200 series. They were also reintroduced for the 850 but not sure what models after that have them. Why they were left out for the 700/900 is quite beyond me!!
Thanks for the clarification Kev, if i've seen it on a Volvo then it would be the 140 series but that would have errrr years ago but thinking about it, i've seen it more recently than that and it's just occurred to me where - on the Jeep Cherokee i had between my current 760 and my last 740 so sort of explains (bot not excuses!) me getting confused!

Given that most of the time the handbrakes work well enough on the 7/9xx and the fact the handbrake is only used (usually) for parking or once a year at the MoT station in my case the chances of it going out of adjustment are pretty small. Something less to go wrong so fair play to Volvo for omitting it on the 7/9xx in my book!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 19:52   #22
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Today I made a few experimental "cable shorteners" which I will try tomorrow morning at the garage.

Wish me luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 19:55   #23
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Was the handbrake more or less equal before the replacement cable? .
No. The right side was weak for a year, then failed completely,
hence replacement.

I shall study the gubbins on the left for compensational possibilities before applying my new devices *muhahahaha*
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 23:05   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
No. The right side was weak for a year, then failed completely,
hence replacement.

I shall study the gubbins on the left for compensational possibilities before applying my new devices *muhahahaha*
That does point to the compensator/balance mechanism on the axle housing stopping the R/H cable moving. Or possibly, it's moving but not enough or in the right place.

It could even be it's the L/H cable has stratched so it's getting tight enough to operate the L/H brake but not enough tension in the cable to pull the R/H at the same time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 09:21   #25
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default What Dave says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That does point to the compensator/balance mechanism on the axle housing stopping the R/H cable moving. Or possibly, it's moving but not enough or in the right place.

It could even be it's the L/H cable has stratched so it's getting tight enough to operate the L/H brake but not enough tension in the cable to pull the R/H at the same time.
That’s what I was thinking when I suggested watching underneath whilst handbrake being operated.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 17:25   #26
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

After spraying and wiggling the left gubbins and checking the right brake's internal pivot stuff, cleaning etc
I fitted a sturdy plastic grommet and rejoined everything.

The split-pin bit was easier to fit today, so something's become more free in that area.
I'm letting various sealant reinforcements dry overnight, cracking on with it tomorrow.

All the help has been helpful, thanks fellas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 17:38   #27
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Thanks for all the help,
passed MOT.
Handbrake's not completely even yet but good enough,
I shall carry on tweaking it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 21:19   #28
Ian21401
Premier Member

I don’t know whether you are one of the people who hardly ever actually apply the handbrake. I subscribe to the view that using it regularly not only prevents things seizing up, it becomes apparent when something is not quite right.
On the other hand. I use my handbrake regularly. When car is parked on our drive, which has a slight slope, I leave car in a gear opposite to the slope but still apply the handbrake. When about to pull off the drive I release the handbrake whilst still having the clutch depressed just to ascertain whether the handbrake is releasing correctly. If it is the car will roll down the drive. It only takes a moment. In the recent past, all of the above was normal but the car had developed a rattle when the rear wheels were going over speed humps in our local Asda car park. An inspection underneath revealed that the A frame part of the compensator gubbins which attaches to the bracket on the axle casing had disappeared so the compensator was rattling against the axle casing. If it had not rattled I would not have become aware of the missing item until the next rear brake inspection/service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 21:52   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I rarely if ever use my handbrakes Ian. There is a school of thought that says if you don't use it, it won't wear out or have other problems and then there is another that if you don't use it, it will seize up.

In practice, once every 3-4 months i check it's working as it should be, other than that, i don't use it except forthe MoT test and occasionally if i need to jack the car up.

It could be argued that if you didn't use yours so often, the A frame wouldn't have been subject to bending and moving and not broken.

The flip-side is it could have rotted through and fallen off and you'd have been none the wiser until the MoT or next brake check as you point out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 09:37   #30
Ian21401
Premier Member

Dave,
I prefer my method, you prefer yours and we are each happy with the method we use. So be it.
Curious thing about the missing A frame on mine was, the whole thing had disappeared, A frame, clevis pin and split pin yet the bracket welded to the axle tube was and is still sound. I would have thought that if the A frame had simply corroded and broken, some part, the clevis pin or the split pin or the part of the A frame attached by either of those would have still been present. It was as if I had removed it and forgotten to replace it. Which I know I had not.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 18th, 2019 at 09:43. Reason: Add text.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: