Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed MOT on emissions

Views : 4982

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2019, 13:03   #111
besidetheseaside

HI Stephen, I replaced the other drive belts last time as well as the oil seals, coolant change was done this year as well. As I said it was chaos at the MOT station as 3 staff had not turned in and the other two guys were running round like headless chickens trying to cope. My original booking at 2 was not cancelled as I requested so they were waiting for me to turn up which did not help when I rolled up at 3:30 having been told to just turn up .
I was only too glad it passed and did not question the lack of a print out as they were frazzled by that time so I made my escape quickly clutching my pass certificate in my sweaty palm.

Thank you for the tips, and yes I will enjoy doing it a second time.
besidetheseaside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 13:40   #112
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Bummer about the guy rejecting the claim although in fairness, i'm not sure the reg number would have made a difference.

If you can get hold of the correct belt from ECP and they're local, go for it, all the better to reject the belt on sight if it is wrong.

A little tip i've been meaning to mention is a mirror. If your good lady is about to throw out a make-up compact with a mirror inside, offer to dispose of it for her - you'll earn brownie points and gain a remarkably useful tool for nothing!
Many of them actually have magnifying mirrors which makes life even easier, simply use the mirror to "get your eyes" down to the level they need to be at to see what you need to see without straining your back.

Once used, it can be closed to protect the mirror itself and stowed neatly in your toolbox.

If no make-up compacts are available, an old door mirror glass is a good substitute.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 18:29   #113
besidetheseaside

I use a lot of mirrors, it helps with the illusion that I actually know what I am doing.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 20:37   #114
besidetheseaside

Test post

Last edited by besidetheseaside; Apr 24th, 2019 at 20:39.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 21:01   #115
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by besidetheseaside View Post
Test post
Last time i did that, the postie threw a sickie and went to Poland for 3 weeks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 16:45   #116
besidetheseaside

Well at least I have the right belt now, just waiting for the crank pulley holding tool to arrive and I can get it sorted.
For reference it is a Continental CT825, ECP part number is 325660085.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEE817E1-326A-4594-80A8-C20B05B5F0D4.jpg (56.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by besidetheseaside; Apr 25th, 2019 at 16:48.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 18:21   #117
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That looks a lot better!

Old Apr 28th, 2019, 20:50   #118
besidetheseaside

So, fit new cam belt.... Part Deux
At least this time I sort of knew what I was doing and it only took just over an hour. Bit perplexed at what I found before I took the old belt off, cam wheel was one tooth out advanced, ( see pictures ) so I had it right first time, or did I
Made sure of timing it up right by checking number 1 cylinder was on TDC, it is now spot on ( and fitted with the correct belt ) and running well. When I get a minute I will get another emissions check done.

Thanks again guys for all the help.
Don.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BELT 1.jpg (93.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BELT 2.jpg (76.2 KB, 17 views)
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 21:06   #119
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Great news Don!

I remember you said due to failing light and/or time, you held the cam belt under tension and moved it round the pulley clockwise one tooth, that would have retarded it one tooth so maybe it was two teeth advanced and then only one after and remained that way until you took that pic today.
Or it could have been you had it right but it didn't look right in the pics you put up, i'd have said at least one if not two teeth out as i think i said at the time.

Who knows? More importantly, who cares now? The new one is the right belt, it's timed correctly and the engine is running sweetly and you have a years MoT - just need to re-check the emisions to see if they've improved and Bob's your aunties live-in lover!

Don't forget to re-tension after 600 miles though!

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 12:08   #120
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by besidetheseaside View Post
So, fit new cam belt.... Part Deux
At least this time I sort of knew what I was doing and it only took just over an hour. Bit perplexed at what I found before I took the old belt off, cam wheel was one tooth out advanced, ( see pictures ) so I had it right first time, or did I
Made sure of timing it up right by checking number 1 cylinder was on TDC, it is now spot on ( and fitted with the correct belt ) and running well. When I get a minute I will get another emissions check done.

Thanks again guys for all the help.
Don.
The thing is you have a correct cambelt and the engine is running sweetly. Good.

An emissions check will be interesting. By the way I don't know, can a tester do those checks to MOT procedure wihtout doing an MOT that will show on your vehicle records?

There have been declaration(s) in the forum as to the cause(s) of the MOT emissions failure. I suspect this is one of those cases where there is sufficient multiplicity of "stuff" that we will never know.

The wrong belt might not have helped.

Enjoy the drive !!!!!

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote