Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing handbreak shaft

Views : 332

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 21:55   #1
AmazonViking

Default Removing handbreak shaft

Finally got close to getting the body media blasted but I can't get the flipping handbreak shaft off... The handle is inside the car and I can't see any screws or anything neither on exploded view of the mechanism online nor on the actual car.

Feel completely stupid but the body has been sprayed over many years with what we call "Techtyl" so there is a thick layer of asphalt - ga -ga like all over the underside of the cars.

Picture not shot due to the mentioned problem, just the closest one I have to show the mechanism on a picture. Guess all of you see the stuff in the middle ;-)

Any help would be appreciated if possible.

Not sure if there is 100s of rebuild threads up here but considered one with a lot of pics if allowed and any interest.

Happy Easter.

:-)

EDIT: Added modified pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5684.jpg (94.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5684_Mod.jpg (95.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by AmazonViking; Apr 15th, 2019 at 22:12.
AmazonViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 12:26   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

The shaft is actually a tube. A bracket with a short axle stub fits into each end. Brackets need to be removed to allow the tube to be dropped out. There are some bushes etc which can be renewed but if there isn't any out of the ordinary play, probably best to leave it as is. From what you say, you might have to dig around to uncover the brackets.
https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/art...92/4-handbrake
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 09:28   #3
AmazonViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The shaft is actually a tube. A bracket with a short axle stub fits into each end. Brackets need to be removed to allow the tube to be dropped out. There are some bushes etc which can be renewed but if there isn't any out of the ordinary play, probably best to leave it as is. From what you say, you might have to dig around to uncover the brackets.
https://www.cvi-automotive.se/en/art...92/4-handbrake
Thanks Derek,

I have removed the outer bracket and checked both ends of the rod/tube and there bushings is actually really fine. Problem is that I'm sending the car to be plastered as soon as I'm done with removing the wire harness and I think the hand break leaver would be nice to get out before doing so.

The tube is so full of gaga that it's hard to see if there is any magical set screws in the area of the handle - or further out on the tube, but it all locked up. So I was wondering if this was a shrink fit or similar. Might just leave it in place and then tape the handle with some electrical tape and ship it away ;-)
AmazonViking is offline   Reply With Quote