Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor running 98 V70R

Views : 2617

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2019, 19:17   #11
Redskiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
The codes point to the crank position sensor. Plugs in to a connector near to the cam sensor connector and bolts into the top of the gearbox with 1x bolt (10mm from memory).
sounds like timing issues...cambelt slip or just timing off...
when was the cambelt done last time on that v70r?

edit: one of my colleagues is a trained mechanic and he always says, that if all of the sensors are malfunctioning, then none of them does... so look for the stuff between the malfunctioning sensors...

Last edited by Redskiies; Apr 19th, 2019 at 19:45.
Redskiies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 19:19   #12
Redskiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
And Skies most of my driving is non London- breaks my heart to get 19mpg when you can almost fly out of town and still return 26 !
im doing 17 in town (yeah, im a bit heavy footed, but the car just wants to go!) done 33-36mpg to dungeness and back...so out of london makes sense
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 23:00   #13
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cheers Reds

I suppose it is possible some dope has put the belt on without lining up the marks - but unlikely ? Really is not that difficult is it ?

Timing belt replacement is top of the list of priorities for next week or so

Where about in town are you - me Forest Gate ?

As the diz rotor and leads need doing in any event will be interesting to see where we stand post replacement

I have limited road time as well - alternater knackered - booked in on Tuesday, as I could not do it any cheaper myself. Garage might have a view on poor running also
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 23:13   #14
T5Sweep
Master Member

Have you checked for air leaks? Even the smallest vacuum leak can cause annoying problems.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 23:44   #15
Redskiies

Quote:
Cheers Reds

I suppose it is possible some dope has put the belt on without lining up the marks - but unlikely ? Really is not that difficult is it ?

As the diz rotor and leads need doing in any event will be interesting to see where we stand post replacement

I have limited road time as well - alternater knackered - booked in on Tuesday, as I could not do it any cheaper myself. Garage might have a view on poor running also
the garage will check on it for you then. I mean, theyll hear the car going in that something isnt right, so theyll look at it, and hopefully give a proper diagnostics. Honestly, I wouldnt even mess around until you get to the service.
It is unlikely, but belt slippage is always possible, that would delay timing after the timing has been set.
im in catford, the other side of the river, but not that far
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 08:59   #16
PNuT
MaDMaN

What is the history behind this car? is it FWD or AWD? Manual or auto?

Was it auto & now manual? vehicle speed sensor is a fault code I have seen with a auto ecu in a manual....
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 10:39   #17
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Reading your mail with some interest Big F- sorry the beast isn’t up to par just yet but I know you expected some initial problems – I’m sure you will sort it so the best of luck.
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 12:05   #18
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Asch

What makes you think crank PS ?

My recollection on reflection is that if this is faulty the classic symptoms are non start ? Which I do not have she starts on the button every time - albeit limited given I have a knackered alternator as well, just to add into the mix !
Errrr the fault codes....

If you have another car that is working fine then it should ony take 10-15 mins to swap a known working sensor over to test it.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 12:33   #19
stuarts

Quote:
Cheers Reds

If cap, rotor and leads are due replacement, i reckon that will be it. Btw, how's it going and did all the cd changers work out ok?
I'm back in a Volvo again, V70r AWD- i'd stick a picture up but still can't make it happen!
Stuart

Last edited by stuarts; Apr 20th, 2019 at 12:36.
stuarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 16:37   #20
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Stuart good to hear from you and yes worked good I still have 1 dud I buy 2 or 3 from you ?

P she is an unadulterated manual AWD with prop disconnected of course but intact

Just. Back from test drive following replacement diz rotor and leads

Started her up and she immediately started purring at just under 1000 rpm as she should do. Thought great problem solved, however a mile later did just what she did on the M6 sudden loss of power and then stall.

Would then not start

Dusconnet MAF she started and I crawled home. Nit looked for any DTC as I have roasted my bits off already

Any further suggestions ( apart from charge the battery yet again ) gratefully received !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote