Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

m.o.t pass

Views : 360

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2019, 18:30   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default m.o.t pass

hi all my 1995 tdi estate passed mot today only advisory was both rear dampers may be showing signs of failing . these are Nivomat self levelling . so i explained to the tester that they are softer and i have replaced mine over the 20 years of ownership . those of you on here will know that these fail by leaking oil from the damper whichich shows up on the bottom of the damper mount if no leaking which mine do not leak then all is fine i have had various views on these dampers over the years !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 19:11   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the pass Jim!

Keep an eye on those Nivos though, if they start leaking, get a pair of standard 7/945 rear springs and shocks and fit those. You'll be amazed at the improvement in the ride quality and can throw away the sea-sickness tablets!

You'll need to get your headlamp aim reset after as well, unless you do the front springs and shocks as well but even then, you'll need to get your headlamp aim checked.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:43   #3
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi all my 1995 tdi estate passed mot today only advisory was both rear dampers may be showing signs of failing . these are Nivomat self levelling . so i explained to the tester that they are softer and i have replaced mine over the 20 years of ownership . those of you on here will know that these fail by leaking oil from the damper whichich shows up on the bottom of the damper mount if no leaking which mine do not leak then all is fine i have had various views on these dampers over the years !
Spot on .. well done. I like Nivos!!

Just so many Testers haven't got the faintest about Nivos and think they will react to the 'bounce test'!!

What you have to do is keep looking out amongst the breaking ads etc, and find yourself a good pair (or just one) ... and, as long as the are not leaking (as you so rightly say) they should be fine for continued use (how long is a take-away!!). Of course, you can put new gaiters on them and give them a new lease of respectability. Bob

Last edited by bob12; Apr 20th, 2019 at 21:46.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 21:58   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Spot on .. well done. I like Nivos, as long as the are not leaking (as you so rightly say) they should be fine for continued use (how long is a take-away!!). Bob
They do get weak with age before they leak though Bob and it's like being a passenger on the Herald of Free Enterprise. There is an inherent design fault in them though as they only restore the ride height to within 30mm of original ride height.
In other words, they are not self leveling as their description suggests they should be.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 22:26   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
They do get weak with age before they leak though Bob and it's like being a passenger on the Herald of Free Enterprise. There is an inherent design fault in them though as they only restore the ride height to within 30mm of original ride height.
In other words, they are not self leveling as their description suggests they should be.
I wondered why mine didn’t quite bring the rear back up to the usual ride height with the caravan hitched up. I thought they must just be tired. I spotted them a few years ago on a 940 in a breaker’s yard.They looked virtually brand new. Paid £50 for the pair.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 23:04   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I wondered why mine didn’t quite bring the rear back up to the usual ride height with the caravan hitched up. I thought they must just be tired. I spotted them a few years ago on a 940 in a breaker’s yard.They looked virtually brand new. Paid £50 for the pair.
Well now you know Ian!

Did yours already have Nivos on or did you add them to a car that had "normal" springs and shocks?

I've had them on many cars over the years and on one car, a brand new pair was fitted a few months before i bought it. That didn't ride/handle any better than the ones i'd had where the Nivos were barely hanging onto life by a tiny thread. That said, they did "wake up" a bit quicker each morning so i wasn't sea-sick before i got to work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 12:37   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Dave,

I didn’t know what Nivos were when I bought the car, as seen, from the corner of the main dealer’s garage, waiting to go to auction, having been traded in. There was a creaking noise from the rear nearside which I suspected may be the shocker or some bushes and fairly easily remedied. Upon inspection found that the shocker was seized. Contacted the dealer to check out cost of replacement. Search via vin revealed car was fitted with “self levelling” rear shocks and replacement would cost £400 for one. I couldn’t afford that at the time. I had fitted spring assisted Monroe shockers to my Marina when towing so researched that but couldn’t find any to fit the 940. Eventually fitted a pair of standard Monroe shocks which passed the MOT but the rear end was a bit low and soft. Ran like that until I obtained the aforementioned nearly new Boges from the breaker.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: