Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Charging Voltage improved

Views : 212

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 13:01   #1
TonyS9
Premier Member

Default Charging Voltage improved

So with a nice warm holiday day I decided to give the 1995 940 some attention, started with swapping the wheels front to back, found I needed new rear pads changed those and then hoovered the car (full of dog hair), This prompted the battery to die with the doors open all day so I then decided to to check the charging voltage, which I had noticed problems with before.

Warm running with headlight (dipped)
Alternator = 14.1V
Battery=13.2V (idle), 13.4V (raised)

Losing nearly half the charging voltage at idle, wasn't too impressed. I have previously found and rectified problems with the main + battery terminal crimp (losing near 1V through the + battery crimp).

After probing around with the multi-meter I found most of this was being lost via the connections near the alternator. On the blue earth cable (attached to the inlet manifold) and the main output red wire to the starter (in-turn linked to the battery by the heavy starter cable). These crimped cables are looking sorry for themselves with the connectors fairly white with corrosion and the stranded copper fairly black. Ideally the correct thing to do is get a new cable/connectors, but I wanted to get an immediate improvement and couldn't easily find the cables or right connectors on-line. I wanted to confirm my theory, so after some experimentation I came up with a solution.

Soldering is a good way to improve these things (if you can avoid solder creeping into the cable), but with these old dirty corroded connections it wasn't taking. I also didn't want to removed the crimps and potentially weaken them.

The solution was to either scrape the area around the end of the copper wire and the copper wire itself with a sharp screwdriver, or use a power file to grind it down to shinny copper and connector (powerfile worked well for the + alternator connector). Then you can place a solder 'cap' over it. Its not ideal as you aren't getting solder into the join and could delaminate off eventually, but it works for now.

After cold restart with lights
Alternator = 14.4V
Battery= 14.1V

I have a dash volt meter for the battery, and this now shows mostly around 14V with the lights on or off (have DRLs).

Next time I'll try the big earth cable that goes to the block and chassis.

For a longer term solution the alternator ground cable is easily replaceable, but the other cables are a bit more integrated, requiring fresh cable + joiner or a soldered sleeve to the cable and connector somehow.

The connectors at the starter seem in much batter shape that the more exposed ones at the alternator and battery.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post: