Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ventilation fans for V70/850 estates

Views : 794

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:16   #1
sarge
Master Member

Default Ventilation fans for V70/850 estates

Hello all,

Has anyone else out there any experience of Volvo's ventilation/extractor fans which fit under the floor of the boot of the 855 and V70? I recently had them installed by my local dealer, hoping that, as advertised, they would help reduce the misting up of the rear windows. But despite a £400+ bill I am extremely disappointed with their apparent ineffectiveness. Is it just me? Or have others fitted them and found that they haven't made a huge difference. I'd be interested in taking this up with Volvo, because if they don't do what they're advertised as doing .... So any feedback welcomed.

Thanks.
Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 13:00   #2
twinturbo

Default RE: Ventilation fans for V70/850 estates

£10 Dehumidifying box from Homebase works reasonably well.

TT
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 13:03   #3
twinturbo

I don't have any problems with my 855 Misting up, from all the threads it seems to be worse the later the later the revision.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 18:16   #4
KeatV70D5SE

Never heard of these - is there anywhere online that I can see a FULL accessory catalogue, not just the one on the website.

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 18:54   #5
Will

My 97 P reg 855 T5 is really misty. "Glad(!)" to know it's not just me.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 20:48   #6
KeatV70D5SE

I don't know whether the 850s have these but the V70 now has vents in the B pillars to direct at the rear passenger windows - maybe they recognised a problem....

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:11   #7
sarge
Master Member

Yeh, the new V70s do but not the classics or the 850. Never found a full on-line accessory brochure. I use the catalogue that the dealers have - I just trawl through it when the car's in the garage. The fans are advertised as helping to reduce misting on the rear windows, supposedly particulalry useful if you carry wet gear in the back or a damp dog. I originally thought that the fans would work by pushing air into the back through the small vents next to the cargo area windows just behind the back seat, but they don't. They actually work as extractor fans fitted over vents which are hidded under the floor behind the sides of the rear bumper. These vents are used to help even-out the air pressure in the car and the extra fans just push air out of these. The theory is good, but I'm less convinced about the practical application.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:51   #8
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

If you have air con, then switch it on and open the rear windows a crack - once you've cleared the mist, you should be able to close them

I'm shocked at the £400 bill though - that seems excessive even for a main dealer.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote