Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

WASHERS

Views : 1192

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 17:03   #1
deanrosc

Default WASHERS

hi all
my headlamp washers have packed in. the wiper is moving but no water coming out. can someone point me in the right direction before i make a pigs ear of anything?
deanrosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 17:15   #2
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: WASHERS

Its difficult to find but there is a T piece under the drivers headlight. It has a pressure control valve fitted within that gets clogged up with gunk.
Remove the T piece and either poke the gunge out or flip the top off it with a knife to thoroughly clear it out. Watch out there is a spring in there that can go flying.
Check all the easily accessible pipe work first.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 18:01   #3
pault5

got fed up with my headlight washers not working. took the motors and piping out. looks a bit odd with no wipers though!
paul
pault5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 09:14   #4
mraldonnelly

Just buy a new T-Piece from a main dealer. They're only £2 (which isn't a huge amount of money but is a bit extortionate for a little piece of plastic).

Regards

Andy
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 10:48   #5
highlander

i hear pressure washers can be quite effective at clearing blocked pipes deano!!!! only joking pal!;-)
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 13:03   #6
deanrosc

i'd try that but me not know which end the bonnet is on them car things. :-) cant for the life of me find a t piece. maybe it was disconnected by the previous owner.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 14:23   #7
mraldonnelly

Dean,

Open the bonnet.

Go to the drivers side headlamp and locate the washer tube that connects to the wiper arm. Trace this tube back through the bodywork and then keep going along this piece of tubing. The T piece is connected to this piece of tubing behing/under the headlamp.

It's fiddly and a real pain in the bum but you'll get it.

Regards

Andy
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 14:36   #8
deanrosc

right,
i have found two t pieces, a blue one and a green one. the green one has a ball bearing in it that stops the flow reversing by the look of it. i took them both off and have cleaned them thoroughly. The washers still aren't working. Does anyone have a diagram how they should be plumbed in? the blue one was behind the green one and was full of water.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 17:18   #9
mraldonnelly

Ah, the T-piece you're after has either a red or a white cap but I can't remember which. Sorry, I should've pointed this out.

Regards

Andy
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 17:45   #10
deanrosc

no need to apologise mate. it got me out of work for ten minutes. neither of them has a cap on. theres a little black cylinder in front of the washer bottle which is connected to the blue one and another tube which runs under the top of the wing (if you can picture where i mean)is connected to it. This is then connected by a short pipe to the green t piece which is connected to two pipes that run in the front of the car. one of them has a short pipe clipped to the top of it but this is not connected to anything. I'm confused. i can see the screen wash is getting to the blue piece but not beyond that. think i'll try a new green piece and turn it round make sure its plumbed to the correct pipes.