Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

yaw sensor and spline sleeve

Views : 1215

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2014, 22:42   #1
Neilfinlay123

Default yaw sensor and spline sleeve

Hi there, just been to my Volvo dealer today and been advised that my yaw sensor has an internal fault (anti skid service on dash) and needs replaced also my spline sleeve on Angle gear is badly worn and also need sorted. I understand these seem to be common faults. I have purchased a yaw sensor from breakers yard and ordering a spline service kit tomorrow from Volvo. Does it matter if I install yaw sensor first or would I be better getting spline sleeve sorted then replace sensor?? Just wondering are they linked somehow??
Neilfinlay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2014, 22:49   #2
Chesney46

Any order you like. The yaw sensor is located under the drivers seat and detects fore and aft movement of the vehicle, and sometimes roll depending on the vehicle set up.
The splined sleeve is responsible for transmitting driving force to the propshaft to drive the rear wheels.
They are in no way linked so can be done in whichever order you fancy.
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 06:59   #3
Neilfinlay123

Thanks chesney46. Hopefully get sleeve service kit ordered today. The dealer mentioned that the shaft was turning in the coupling and the teeth had worn. Is it normal just to replace sleeve or does shaft or angle gear give problem s too? I have read a few threads and replacing sleeve service kit seems to be a real nightmare!
Neilfinlay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2014, 19:53   #4
Chesney46

As far as I know it's just the sleeve kit needed. I'm hoping they're not too bad to do as I have a kit in the boot of mine waiting for me to fit it! Just waiting for a break in the weather.
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 11:32   #5
Acer
Master Member

Is the spline sleeve issue more of a problem on higher torque models like the D5?
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 19:16   #6
Chesney46

I don't think it matters on the engine. The part is a common failure, looking at the size of the splines I'm not surprised. They are very shallow and quite thin for what it's supposed to do.
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 19:39   #7
Acer
Master Member

You have to wonder who is designing these parts! How much does it cost to replace?
Old Nov 27th, 2014, 22:03   #8
owenfackrell
Premier Member

The spline shleve is only a problem on the pre 185 d5 and the 2.5t of the same vintage. They redesigned it after this. The t6 has a chain drive instead so doesn't suffer this problem. The shleve kit is around £100 but not sure on fitting as I did mine my self.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 11:53   #9
Acer
Master Member

That is one thing the T6 has going for it then. Shame they couldn't give it a transmission to match .

How long does it take to change? Apparently the easiest way of assessing if the splines have gone is to try and wheel spin the car in slippery conditions. I have done it a few times and have not noticed any spin. Also it feels as if something catches and you get a push from behind. Hopefully it isn't bust quite yet, but I will expect it!
Old Nov 28th, 2014, 13:11   #10
owenfackrell
Premier Member

If it has gone you will also get will spin pulling out of junctions in the damp.
It takes about 4 hours if you are handy with the spanners. I can offer some tips that I lernt doing mine that makes things easier.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote