Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Kerboom goes the exhaust - advice wanted

Views : 1806

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:37   #1
scooters

Default Kerboom goes the exhaust - advice wanted

Gringos,

Well I've clocked up 4500 motorway miles in the 940 Sport over the last month and last night had the first wear and tear issue.

M1 9.00pm just outside Luton floored the engine to hear an audible ping/bink/bang from under the car followed by an exhaust tone like my old Westfield.

Anyway I took the car to KwikFit this morning and sure enough a hole the size of a 2p has literally been blown out the side of the front pipe about 3 inches forward from the Cat.

The Cat looks nasty so I asked for a quote from Kwik Fit - £200 including fitting seems OK. However, the front pipe is coming in at a whopping £230 including fitting - now this is a HPT with a Turbo + but this seems pretty steep - any suggestions or do I bite the bullet?
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:43   #2
James_N
VOC Member

go anywhere but Kwik fit. they are muppets.

It will be much cheaper elsewhere.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:49   #3
scooters

another question - if I drive the car from London to Edinburgh tomorrow with this hole will it cause any issues other that the Spitfire exhaust tone - I am aware fuel consumption will go up - I haven't noticed any significant change in turbo boost
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:02   #4
minstrel
VOC Member

Smile exhaust blown

if you can afford it go for Volvo parts, they are much thicker and will last a lot longer, and it will fit. The price looks OK for the front pipe if it includes the cat. My 960 pipe cost that recently.

Minstrel
minstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:13   #5
SteveP
300 Maniac

Is it maybe worth considering a custom 3" downpipe and 3" cat, I don't think there'd be much difference in price if you go mild steel.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:43   #6
scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Is it maybe worth considering a custom 3" downpipe and 3" cat, I don't think there'd be much difference in price if you go mild steel.
any ideas where i can get one?
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:48   #7
SteveP
300 Maniac

Not entirely sure, don't think you can buy them off the shelf for 940s, in the UK atleast - you could do with finding somewhere like Longlife exhaust systems.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 11:58   #8
scooters

what about driving with a blowing exhaust - I'm new to turbo engines especially HPT with turbo plus.

if I were to drive the car 400 miles would it cause any probs?
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:01   #9
ivor940
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooters View Post
Gringos,

a hole the size of a 2p has literally been blown out the side of the front pipe about 3 inches forward from the Cat.

The Cat looks nasty
Why not get the hole patch welded prior to the journey home? Just because the Cat looks battered does not mean it is faulty. AFAIK there is a blanking bolt forward of the Cat. Did this blow off and result in the hole? As regards driving with the hole, there are 2 issues. One is there anything nearby which could be damaged by exhaust. Second is the possible ingress of exhaust fumes into the car. It may also be possible to do a temp repair with a beans can / exhaust sealant and 2 jubilee clips if the hole is on a straight part of the exhaust.

ivor940

Last edited by ivor940; Mar 19th, 2008 at 12:06.
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 12:10   #10
scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor940 View Post
Why not get the hole patch welded prior to the journey home? Just because the Cat looks battered does not mean it is faulty. AFAIK there is a blanking bolt forward of the Cat. Did this blow off and result in the hole? As regards driving with the hole, there are 2 issues. One is there anything nearby which could be damaged by exhaust. Second is the possible ingress of exhaust fumes into the car. It may also be possible to do a temp repair with a beans can / exhaust sealant and 2 jubilee clips if the hole is on a straight part of the exhaust.

ivor940

Hi - thanks for that.

The hole is literally just above the cat and is on a straight part of the exhaust. Because I will be driving at speed (over 60mph) then the fumes aren't too much of a problem - there is nothing else around that could cause the problem. The beans tin and gungum solution sounds like a good temp stop gap however, with the pressure from the exhause going into the cat would the repair last the 400 odd miles I will have to drive?