Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo PV444 wins 1957 Petit Lemans at Lime Rock!

Views : 85334

Replies : 281

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 13:18   #131
csm22

Outstanding footage of a great race... you kept it close! Thanks for sharing with us.
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 13:07   #132
blueosprey90
Master Member

I've been puttering on the Volvo for the past few evenings, putting back the dash parts and re-connecting the ignition wiring. Big news is that the steering wheel went back on last night. The wheel was cracked and came off in March, 2018 for repair, so that is major progress.

I still need to install the passenger seat, double check and readjust my brake pedal and my rear brakes, shoot some grease in the right side fittings and readjust my carbs, as they were running much too lean. So maybe 3 hours max.

Then I can drop the car off of the jack stands, tighten the one rear wheel nut and take the car for a ride.

A few niggling problems will remain, and with still many remaining tasks on the horizon.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 18:30   #133
blueosprey90
Master Member

Criminies!

The electrical gremlins have taken up residence in the car, along with the spiders. I seem to have a short associated with my headlights, as well as a poor connection at the fuse terminal on that circuit. After much trial and error, and about 10 blown fuses, I think I have isolated the short to my dashboard rheostat - or at least the wire leading there. This makes some sense since I did do a lot of work under the dash last winter.

My tail lights are out, but signal and brake lights work. Have to sort that out and I'm hoping it is just dirty connections.

Heading out to see if I can get some fuses.
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 05:55   #134
blueosprey90
Master Member

Almost a month has passed and I am no closer to getting the PV444 on the road. I traced the short in my lights to a screw that I used to attach the piece of "trim" to the right front windshield/roof support. But in the meanwhile, the circuit is torn up and several splices, rubber bits and lenses need to be put right. I have the parts but not the time.

I went to Watkins Glen with the S2000 for two days running in an HPDE event and did fairly well.

Then last weekend, I took the MGA to Club Motorsports in New Hampshire for vintage racing. A fellow named Dan Scully was there to race this 544.

Unfortunately, just as I caught up to him in one of the first practice runs, he pulled off the track. When I wandered over to say hello, he was under the car opening up the rear end, so I left him to make his repairs with his crew. He got the car back out the next day for just a lap or two; and I never was able to connect and introduce myself. I met a couple of younger guys that came to visit him and later saw that they were driving a tatty 122.

For what it's worth, here is one of my runs in the MGA - no Volvos, but a Herbie VW Bug does pass me. The 029 that I'm racing with is a historically significant car, having won the MG Collier Cup race at least once, maybe more, in the 1957 - 1959 era.

https://youtu.be/RYlScT_MVDo

Last edited by blueosprey90; Aug 7th, 2019 at 05:57.
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 14:37   #135
blueosprey90
Master Member

Electrical gremlins! I isolated the short in my lighting circuit to a screw that I used to attach the piece of "trim" to the left (driver) front windshield/roof support. But in the meanwhile, I tore up the lighting circuit to trace the wires. Just about every wire is crudely spliced and I have put a few right, but have left others. I replaced the tail light lenses and the rubber bits on the rear license plate lights. All seems to be working. But I still need to reattach the trim piece that caused me all the problems.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 16:12   #136
blueosprey90
Master Member

Last night I installed the steering wheel and horn, the ignition switch and the passenger seat. Cleaned out all of the tools and vacuumed.

This morning, I was under the car and was pleasantly surprised to see my differential tagged 41/0. I haven't driven it enough, but assumed it was probably a 4.55. I thought it was good enough to pull stumps, but I may need to reassess.

Also greased the front end and got her started. Car has been on jack stands for about 15 months.

I should change the fuel filters, but might be too anxious. I'm shooting to have the car back on the road after work tonight.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 14:54   #137
blueosprey90
Master Member

Doing my best to observe the "Code of the Woosters", I took the old four seater out for a test drive last night.

Replaced an aftermarket fuel filter under the car, dropped it off of the jack stands, tightened the rear wheel hub to 150 ft. lb. and added some fuel to the tank.

It was dark by the time I got her started. Drove around the neighborhood with my headlights pointing skyward. Adjusted those so that I could see a bit. But night driving won't be a major objective, because the view was rather dim. Did maybe two miles.

Fuel gauge might need to be recalibrated. empty at 1/8th, 1 gallon at 1/4, 2 gallons at 1/2 and 5 gallons at 3/4.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 19:01   #138
arcturus
arcturus

Fuel gauge. Reset odometer at fill up to zero. My PV does 10lt/100km so at 250 km I refill to full. Gauges are not reliable at low tank
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 20:52   #139
blueosprey90
Master Member

Drove the old four-seater to work today and then around town for a few miles during lunch.

First impressions: Steering is a little loose, but not too bad. Brakes may pull very slightly to the left. Not sure what my stopping distances might be, so I'm being ginger. Clutch engagement is very high. Has a little bit of a grind if I switch too fast to second gear. Engine seems to pull pretty well.
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 17:34   #140
blueosprey90
Master Member

^^ Arcturus. I don't see any adjustable trip mileage function on my odometer. I'll have to adapt by some other means.

I drove the car to work yesterday as well as today - about 1.5 miles round trip. Yesterday, I did take it out at lunchtime and drove a few miles. Maybe put 5 miles on it without any issues.

Washed the car last night and was planning to try to fine tune the aim of the headlights. But one of the headlights was intermittently either off or barely on - and my brights weren't working properly either. I didn't find anywhere where I had wet the connections.

I went to the wire connector block along the driver's side fender, pulled and cleaned with steel wool all of the connectors - and that seemed to solve the problem. But I was tired and then quit for the night.

I have to treat the next few weeks as trouble shooting sorties and fix deficiencies as they arise.

I'm entered in a major race event at Lime Rock Park over Labor Day weekend. On Sunday, instead of racing, they have a concourse on the front straight and line the rest of the track in what they call the "Gathering of the Marks". I'm hoping to drive the Volvo up there for the Gathering of the Marks.

Alas, that event is two weeks away. Can't tell if the car will still be running well enough to get there under its own power.