Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice - broke a vacuum hose in a difficult place!

Views : 937

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 09:45   #11
haymitch

baggy798 is right. The hose I broke is hose number 7 on the diagram (thanks for that).

I'm investing in a pair of long needle nose pliers to help me with this job. I've ordered some 4mm hosing and will try rerouting the old cable if that doesn't work I'm going for the silicone hosing from eBay. I thought about ordering some OEM stuff from Skandix but the freight cost was too high for a single piece of hose. I might do a bulk order if I replace the hose okay - the other vacuum hoses on my car are also in need of replacement.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 10:20   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
baggy798 is right. The hose I broke is hose number 7 on the diagram (thanks for that).

I'm investing in a pair of long needle nose pliers to help me with this job. I've ordered some 4mm hosing and will try rerouting the old cable if that doesn't work I'm going for the silicone hosing from eBay. I thought about ordering some OEM stuff from Skandix but the freight cost was too high for a single piece of hose. I might do a bulk order if I replace the hose okay - the other vacuum hoses on my car are also in need of replacement.
If you're going to do a bulk order, you may as well get a bulk order of silicone hose from ebay. It will be cheaper in the long-run.

However, if the vacuum hoses are in that condition, have you considered what condition the fuel hoses might be in as well? Worth checking!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 18:06   #13
haymitch

I have an update. Good news, I managed to get the vacuum hose replaced earlier this week and I've had no problems so far! Between that and the new IAC hoses my hot start problem has gone away. It's so nice to finally have the car up and running properly again.

Will do a bulk order of the silicone hose and see if I can take a look at the fuel lines. All those on the top of the engine look fine at least

Next step is to replace all the vacuum hoses. The two at the carbon canister have me slightly stumped (doesn't take much) as there are no hose clips!! I'm guessing this is just a case of wiggling them off? Seems like a stupid question but I always resort to brute strength and end up breaking things if I'm not careful.
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 18:34   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post

Next step is to replace all the vacuum hoses. The two at the carbon canister have me slightly stumped (doesn't take much) as there are no hose clips!! I'm guessing this is just a case of wiggling them off? Seems like a stupid question but I always resort to brute strength and end up breaking things if I'm not careful.
Good news!

As for getting the hoses off, i take it you have some pliers? Preferably some like these or very similar :

The important bit is the curved part of the jaws. Use that to grip the hose and start off by twisting it so it rotates on the stub. Sometimes a gentle squirt of lube/penetrating oil can help as well, as near inside the hose as possible.
Once you've got the hose rotating on the stub, that's half the battle. Use an open end spanner or another pair of pliers to give you something to lever against, grip the hose just tight enough to hold it and use one tool against the other to gently lever the hose off the stub. Often the easiest way is to lever in small amounts then repostition the pliers further along the hose.

If all else fails and the hose is being replaced, use a Stanley knife to cut along the hose from the end to just past the end of the stub. Again, several less-deep cuts are preferable to one very deep cut as one very deep cut could cut into the plastic of the charcoal canisters or indeed anything else.
Once you have a slit in the end of the hose, you can tease it apart with a flat bladed screwdriver and then pull it off.

You can also buy hose removal pliers :

WHoever staged that shot has done it wrong as the flatter jaw should be towards the filter (in this case) or the charcoal canister in your case. The "lump" on the other jaw could dent or otherwise damage the filter/charcola canister.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 18:46   #15
haymitch

Cheers, that seems so obvious now! I have a pair of pliers like that so we should be in business Will post an update on how it goes.