Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Highlander 1993 Fuel Guage Fault

Views : 715

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 16:50   #1
Stowpirate

Default 940 Highlander 1993 Fuel Guage Fault

Has anybody with a 940 had a fuel guage that works after a few miles and spends most of its time showing empty. It bursts into life when going around sharp corners or when hitting a bump and then appears to work until the engine is stopped. Sometimes it will work when I start the engine but mostly it will not! What are the possible problems and how do you fix it?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 17:34   #2
5lab

Default RE: 940 Highlander 1993 Fuel Guage Fault

sounds like a dodgy connection exasperated by heat. i couldnt tell you where thou
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 19:48   #3
Colin Shepherd

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL188/...8/23744414.jpg

With the tank unit disconnected (there is a 3 wire connector inside the car next to the L/H rear wheel arch) the gauge should read full.

If it doesn`t the fault is at the guage end, probably a bad connection on either the feed or earth to the instrument.

Clean and check the multi-plugs that go in the back of the instrument cluster.

If that doesn`t sort it, remove the screws one at a time that hold the guage into the cluster and gently clean the underside of the screw heads and the flexible printed circuit were they make contact.

An invisible layer of oxide here has been known to cause problems.

The guage can sometimes be got going by the less scientific method of giving the dash top a whack with your hand !!

The sender unit, by the way, should give from 0 ohms empty to 250 ohms full.

Colin.

1990 740SE B200E/M47, remote C/Locking.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 08:29   #4
Stowpirate

Hi Colin

Yesterday I was playing with the connector you mentioned. The tank side reading was 21-OHMS which corresponds to a three quarters full tank. I scrapped the tank side sender male connector contacts clean and on the instrument side connector I bent the female contacts so as to give a tighter grip. So there is no movement I tied the connector and wiring firmly to the bodywork using a cable tie. The fuel gauge now appears to work. The tank sender and fuel pump assembly had been out of the car at some point in the past and I suspect it is another case of let a Volvo Dealer or third part Garage touch the car at your own peril! They had made a right mess of putting it back and had even broken the plastic bit that holds the the whole unit in place.

Regards

SR