Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 2004 - Haldex 2 or Haldex 3 ?

Views : 4334

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:42   #11
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I didn't think Volvo used Gen 1 Haldex, instead a thermo viscous coupling was used on it's AWD models until MY2003 when they went Haldex. It was about this time the car was renamed XC70 instead of V70 XC (to match the XC90 nomenclature).
+1 That's my understanding too. Volvo AWD was Haldex 2 until the face lift I think, when it went to Gen3 with the instant traction, not the 1/16 or something wheel rotation before the haldex kicked in of Gen 2.

I have read a thread about replacing the filter with out removing propshaft/exhaust which involved re using the concave filter cover, because the finned new cover could not be squeezed into the space available.
This may not be an issue if the prop is removed, but shows the two parts are interchangeable.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2018, 20:24   #12
Dereletoile

Thanks, Bob.

(I couldn't find this bookmark, hence the delay)

I now have a filter and oil for the haldex 2 or 3. I raised the car up to give plenty of space to get in and out but couldn't get the first nut off of the exhaust. There was not space to use a grinder so the car is booked in to the local garage.

Thanks to all who read and especially to all who contributed their experiences.

Derek
Dereletoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 20:12   #13
Dereletoile

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereletoile View Post
My first post.

My 2004 XC70 with 260,000 km is leaking oil from the haldex unit. I would like to find out if it is a haldex 2 or haldex 3.
"Volvo XC70 Cross Country Info Page" tells me:-
"Second Gen 2002-2003 used Haldex First Generation until MY2003 - 2005 when it got Second Generation. Third Generation XC70 2006+ uses Third Generation Haldex." - Wikipedia/haldex agrees.

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/ gives 2004 as the transition year between 2 and 3.

However, I can't find any reference to haldex 2 service parts, and my unit looks like a haldex 3.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks.
Derek
Here's the update, finally.

I visited my garage last Thursday evening 18:00. We spent and hour and a half trying to disconnect the prop-shaft from the haldex.
Le garagiste contacted Volvo the next day. There are no tricks to removing the unit. It's stuck.
I returned today. Le garagiste used a bigger hammer - and in the right place. The pump was then removed and air pressure used via the oil-level plug-hole to remove all of the old oil. Absolutely clean oil.
Refill was via a tube with a tap, and funnel. This contraption was held by mechanic 2 whlist up a ladder.
The haldex wasn't working because it had lost oil, therefore was lacking the required pressure to drive the unit. The leak was located as coming from the filter cap. The replacement cap is aluminium and ribbed with cooling fins, so no chance of distortion due to heat.
There is no way that I could have accomplished this work. Air-powered wrenches were much in evidence, the car in the air, etc., etc.

So, the haldex 2 and haldex 3 share the same filter.
My 2004 xc70 has a haldex 2 unit, never serviced.

Whilst under the car, we found 2 other problems. If I had been doing the work lying on my back, I would not have seen these, and (of course) I would not have been able to do the job. I couldn't even get the first nuts off of the exhaust.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Job complete.

Derek
Dereletoile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dereletoile For This Useful Post: