Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 volvo 740 gle 2.3

Views : 566

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2018, 01:36   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Well there's value and there's price and there is as everyone is saying, unknown aspects.

With corrosion as mentioned above, significant corrosion not just a little work to be done, then the price plummets yes.

A good sought after example, I'm sure yes the price is increasing.

And then there is in between.

An MOT test result is not the be all and end all. It is limited to the tests required to be done, and limited to the date and time. It is yes useful. It tests things that are beyond my facilities and expertise. And it can find things I should find but I might miss.

A god car might not have a current MOT. But proceed only with caution.

I have generally been cautious of buying any car if an MOT is not recent and the seller is reluctant to have a test done. Especially if it is a trade seller.

How to choose a testing station is a tricky aspect of life init.

As has been said. More info would really help here. Mainly for the reasons said by previous posters.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 21st, 2018 at 01:43.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 16:36   #12
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I think it’s less a case of what it’s worth, more a case of how much you want it and how much you can afford/are willing to spend on making it right.

My 744 is, in effect, economically ridiculous-I paid £600 for it (with 9mths MOT) and have since spent close to another £1500 on odds and ends because i want it to be absolutely right. If I’d been offered it 100% sorted for £2100 I wouldn’t have bought it as it would have made very little financial sense, but I fell in love with the car as it was, and have thoroughly enjoyed the process of sorting it out, so the £2100 was absolutely worth spending.

Rust is the killer though...any significant rust and you’ll spend half your time and money chasing that around until your motor is more weld than wagon. Been down that road a couple of times with other non-Volvo cars!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post: