Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Group Buy: classic Volvo stainless bumpers.

Views : 8826

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:47   #51
asneddon
Master Member

I didnt get mine through the bulk buy, but bought direct. They are the cow-horn ones for a P1800.

They look very good, but there were a few bits and peices that didnt go according to plan. The help/feedback/support from the company was very good though.

the problems I had include:
Rear bumper mounting brackets didnt line up. Had to do quite a bit of grinding.
Captive nut on rear bumpers had a couple of problems. First, different thread (metric) with no new bolts supplied (although these only cost 50p each). Also on one side the captive nut was offset from the drilled hole a small amount meaning you couldnt get the thread to engage. Very carefull grinding with a dremel to fix this.

With the front bumpers, the cutouts at the bottom of the up-turns for the cowhorns were in the wrong place. Had to hacksaw about 20mm off these to get them to fit. Also one side sat closer to the grill than the other, so had to use washers as spacers. I'm pretty sure this isnt my car being bent, as my old ones fit well, and I trial fitted some others and they sat correctly.

They are a lot lighter than the standard items, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. One of my front bumpers sort of turns up at the end, but its very hard to notice.

I would buy from them again, but just be prepared that they arent a 100% bolt on replacement. Saying that though, I was one of the first customers to buy the cow-horn bumpers, and they withdrew them from sale after my problems. I think they were looking for another set of bumpers to check their jigs.

They bent over backwards to see me right. Offering to pay to get them sorted out locally, money back, remake them if I sent my origonal bumpers, etc. In the end I didnt ask for any money back as I felt they tried their hardest to make me happy. If they had ****ed me off I would have handled it differently. To be honest I enjoyed working on the bumpers myself. Adds a bit of pride to see them on the car.

Thats assuming we are talking about Harrington Shine?
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asneddon For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 20:14   #52
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Dean you're a bit hard to please TBH.

The OEM replacement bumpers were \ are £1000 + from Volvo.

Harringtons can do the stainless versions in bulk for under £500, and you're concerned that they need fettling? What on an old car doesn't?

Did anyone's Simonz exhaust fit first go? Mine didn't, and it wasn't exactly cheap.

Gordon Hunter told the board \ me ages ago that they need power washing and adjusting to fit. I'm pretty naive when it comes to old cars and even I wasn't surprised when I was told they need work to fit. I personally don't have the wedge to dump £1000 on bumpers. I'd count yourself lucky if you can afford to do so.

You couldn't get the original bumpers re chromed for that, and I live in the North West!

Seriously, with the greatest of respect, what do you expect for £500?
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 11:06   #53
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobandhismakarov View Post
Dean you're a bit hard to please TBH.

The OEM replacement bumpers were \ are £1000 + from Volvo.

Harringtons can do the stainless versions in bulk for under £500, and you're concerned that they need fettling? What on an old car doesn't?

Did anyone's Simonz exhaust fit first go? Mine didn't, and it wasn't exactly cheap.

Gordon Hunter told the board \ me ages ago that they need power washing and adjusting to fit. I'm pretty naive when it comes to old cars and even I wasn't surprised when I was told they need work to fit. I personally don't have the wedge to dump £1000 on bumpers. I'd count yourself lucky if you can afford to do so.

You couldn't get the original bumpers re chromed for that, and I live in the North West!

Seriously, with the greatest of respect, what do you expect for £500?
Hello!! my thread had nothing to do with not being happy with them or being able to afford new ones from Volvo. I asked if any one has any information regarding the quality as this very important part seems to have been missed on this thread considering there was a bulk buy some time ago. I was doing my research and finding out if or what problems there might be from other members that have actualy bought them and fitted them. If people replied with horror stories about them it would be interesting to anyone including myself weather they were worth chasing.

Your quote "I personally don't have the wedge to dump £1000 on bumpers. I'd count yourself lucky if you can afford to do so."

I don't have £500 to spend on something that may turn out to be inferior, thats why i am asking to see what others thought who have actualy worked on them. They are the best judge. If we get people saying they are fantastic, worth every penny then that would be reasuring to know, would it not. So far one person has replied and now we know a bit more than we did before.
So for me at least, and anyone else with a bit of common sense, it was a very usefull part of the thread.

Last edited by amazondean; Oct 3rd, 2009 at 11:23.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 14:36   #54
skysurfer
VOC Member

I bought a set of s/s bumpers for my P1800S from Harringtons a year or so ago through Gordon Hunter's earlier bulk buy and am very pleased with the quality. I managed to fit them on myself quite easily.....and I'm not as practical as some of the people on this forum. Yes, they need a bit of fettling to get them to fit. The rear bumpers slotted onto the irons without problem but the front ones were more problematic and I had to get a bumper iron straightened out (it had had a slight prang in the past) and the holes in the irons slightly widened by the local blacksmith to get the fit. However, now they're on, they look super. Do try and protect them when fitting though to avoid scratching. I think I paid £435 + delivery back then.
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 18:22   #55
amazon69
Premier Member

Hello all,

I would like to put myself down to be the first person to ask (seriously) for first dibs at chrome bumper sections for an amazon that those buying new ss bumpers will not need. My bumpers are quite ropey, I don't want perfect replacements but would like better than what I presently have. That would obviously also help whoever pay for their ss bumpers. When you get your new ones please let me know so I can say yay or nay to your old chrome...Thanks a lot..
Dave
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 00:14   #56
jakobandhismakarov
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
So for me at least, and anyone else with a bit of common sense, it was a very usefull part of the thread.
Nice to know where we both stand.

The best person to speak to about the quality side of things would be Gordon Hunter. I believe he's fitted both the SS P1800 and Amazon bumpers.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 13:54   #57
archieboy69

I got a set from the original bulk buy for my Amazon, when i took the old bumber off i didnt loosen the bumper irons and the SS bumper sat way too low, so i loosened the irons and the bumper parts and pushed it all up and re tightened and hey presto! So yes a bit of fettling (and im no good at this sort of stuff) but all came good in the end, well worth the monies i payed

Stuart
archieboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 16:51   #58
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by archieboy69 View Post
I got a set from the original bulk buy for my Amazon, when i took the old bumber off i didnt loosen the bumper irons and the SS bumper sat way too low, so i loosened the irons and the bumper parts and pushed it all up and re tightened and hey presto! So yes a bit of fettling (and im no good at this sort of stuff) but all came good in the end,
TBH, that's better than my experiences with removing & refitting an original bumper!!! Given the amount of bolts and size of the sections, even with brand new genuine Volvo bumper sections, and perfectly aligned bumper irons, I reckon that some fettling would be required for good fitment.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2009, 20:17   #59
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You do need to tweak the bumpers a bit for a good fit. The other problem you normaly have is that the bumper irons can be bent and need beating back to shape.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 11:48   #60
swede

Default bumper from Harringtons

I bought three car sets from Harrington, two P1800 sets and one for another car. They were delivered by DHL and not long after I got a bill from DHL for import duties. I complained to Harrington who did eventually agree to pay DHL.
The bumpers are clearly hand made but look great.
swede is offline   Reply With Quote