Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Disabled Section

Notices

Disabled Section Section for disabled users.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc 40

Views : 4184

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2018, 14:25   #1
Mike 700
Premier Member

Cool Xc 40

I had ordered an XC40, having had a good look at one in Copenhagen, and driven one in the U.K., but frankly, even though it is a very good quality motor car, the boot is just too small for me, and I would suggest, ‘most Disabled customers’ ?

Perhaps if they introduced the sliding rear seat, like in the Tiguan, or even the BMW’s ( even as an option ) it would then accommodate mobility equipment better, especially for shorter journeys?

Unfortunately I now have to think again as I now need more equipment to be carried?
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Mike 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 17:29   #2
Mike 700
Premier Member

Cool

Here we go then, time to take cover- i have ordered a new factory build VW Tiguan , with a lot of kit on board, but it could take 32/33 weeks to arrive, and in the meantime I continue leasing the XC60!

The Tiggy has a 60/40 split rear seat squab , each portion of which slides independently up to six inches, still leaving a fair bit of legroom in the back , and the 40/20/40 split backrests recline individually.

With the seats up the boot holds between 560 & 615 L . of luggage compared to the XC 40 at 432 L.

Still a Current Volvo owner for the next 7-8 months, and then VW for 2-3+years, then ?????
Feb23 Qashqai e Power, June 21 Volvo XC90 Recharge R design.June18 TiguanSELNew 2017XC60RDesign NavLux,New 2015 Qashqai n-tec+,New 2014V60SE,New2011XC60 RDesign,New XC90SeLux,NewMay2005XC70 D5 SeLux plus.
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 00:08   #3
anotherv60
Master Member

Just on boot space I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this with the Tiguan as the VW method for assessing boot space includes the floor space beneath the floor ie where the spare wheel is located. With everything removed, ie struts carpet etc.

Unless I am mistaken the Volvo measurement is simply the space you see when opening the boot. The first generation xc60 would have a 850L boot using the VW method. It’s worth reading the print magazine of what car. When they do car group tests they often state boot literage then show the actual dimensions with a ruler, VW group cars always have the largest L value, but smaller internal dimensions. Either they bend the laws of physics or they are giving you a meaningless comparison.

Best seen in first hand however.
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 15:14   #4
Mike 700
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
Just on boot space I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on this with the Tiguan as the VW method for assessing boot space includes the floor space beneath the floor ie where the spare wheel is located. With everything removed, ie struts carpet etc.

Unless I am mistaken the Volvo measurement is simply the space you see when opening the boot. The first generation xc60 would have a 850L boot using the VW method. It’s worth reading the print magazine of what car. When they do car group tests they often state boot literage then show the actual dimensions with a ruler, VW group cars always have the largest L value, but smaller internal dimensions. Either they bend the laws of physics or they are giving you a meaningless comparison.

Best seen in first hand however.

You’re probably close to the mark regarding the measurements and how they take them, and report them, but (and this is coming from a 5 times New Volvo owner who has been waiting patiently for the arrival of the XC40 ) I use a different way of measuring , because of a ‘specific purpose ‘ need i.e, I actually took my mobility scooter and rollator with me & tried them together in each of the cars.

During this test, with the parcel shelves removed , the Tiguan won ‘hands down, especially when the flexibility of the sliding reclining rear seats make adjustments for different sized pieces of kit so easy, & make the car so practical .

I wish it had been the XC40 coming out a winner for my needs, but it just could not compete!

Cheers.

Last edited by Mike 700; Jun 9th, 2018 at 15:18.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 11:32   #5
BEJ

I too am leaving the fold. As the XC60 is no longer on the motability scheme, I have done a lot of research into what car will grace my drive next.
I have looked at the XC40,Tiguan, Kia Sportage, BMW X1, Ford Kuga, Skoda Karoq, Skoda Kodiaq and the Skoda Superb estate.
In the end, I decided against the SUV type car and am about to order a Skoda Superb SEL EXecutive 1.4 act DSG estate with lots of options. Reason for this is boot space for my scooters etc. It also comes well specced and the up front payment is quite reasonable - hence the options choices. I probably will not get the new car until at the earliest mid October, so will still be in my XC60 till then.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 13:08   #6
Mike 700
Premier Member

I have the Tiguan SEL DSG, with the sliding reclining rear seats, which makes the boot area so flexible for carrying mobility equipment, so sister car to yours.

I also have a number of extras including Park Assist, but the one thing that I have found invaluable is the fully auto opening closing tailgate- it is just so convenient !

Just given up my second XC 60 - one of the very best cars available in my opinion, certainly the very top end of all the cars I have had since 1964. but at £40,000 ish, far too expensive for me, now that I’m retired!

I ‘m sure that you will enjoy the Skoda and make the most of the summer in the 60!

Best regards
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike 700 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 12:21   #7
stuartvolvo
Trader

Default Vehicles

Mike 700 and BEJ, although you are leaving Volvo ownership, please feel free to stay a member of the club and you are still welcome to contribute to the disabled section. I too have had to leave Volvo ownership due to a range of disabilities and found myself with a Landrover Discovery 3. As it sits much higher off the road I am able to just sit my self into the drivers seat and with a huge boot with slit tail gate, I can sit in the boot, with the top of the tail gate sheltering me from the elements. It is a great vehicle. I hope you both get on well with your new car purchases.

Regards
Stuart

Volvo V70 T5 Estate - Strut Brace, Pollen Filter, Polly Mounts, Tinted Windows, Upgraded Discs, 17in Wheels, Stainless exhaust, Overhaulled turbo & wast gate, ecu remap, k&n filter, white injectors = 380+ bhp.
stuartvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuartvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 15:44   #8
Mike 700
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvolvo View Post
Mike 700 and BEJ, although you are leaving Volvo ownership, please feel free to stay a member of the club and you are still welcome to contribute to the disabled section. I too have had to leave Volvo ownership due to a range of disabilities and found myself with a Landrover Discovery 3. As it sits much higher off the road I am able to just sit my self into the drivers seat and with a huge boot with slit tail gate, I can sit in the boot, with the top of the tail gate sheltering me from the elements. It is a great vehicle. I hope you both get on well with your new car purchases.

Regards
Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

This Club and this Forum is the very best, as far as I can tell as a member of 3 car forums, 1 military and 1 Aviation forum, and I will gladly hang around!

Volvo has done the disabled proud in the past, and may do yet again in the future, and I look forward to returning to the fold one day?

I shall contribute to the Disabled section, as and when!

Keep up the good work,

Best regards
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike 700 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 16:16   #9
BEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 700 View Post
Thanks Stuart,

This Club and this Forum is the very best, as far as I can tell as a member of 3 car forums, 1 military and 1 Aviation forum, and I will gladly hang around!

Volvo has done the disabled proud in the past, and may do yet again in the future, and I look forward to returning to the fold one day?

I shall contribute to the Disabled section, as and when!

Keep up the good work,

Best regards
As above, goes for me too, BUT it looks as if I will be keeping the XC60 for a bit longer yet.
The Skoda deal fell through, so I have now ordered a VW Passat estate GT DSG 1.4 act turbo. Extras include electric boot opening, heated w/screen and heated s/wheel. I will also be having an Autochair scooter lift fitted.
Best estimate for delivery is mid January 2019.