Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine hesitates while accelerating

Views : 610

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2018, 16:44   #1
Stew1099

Default Engine hesitates while accelerating

I've just come into possession of a 55reg S40 2 litre diesel with 97,000 miles on the clock.
It runs rough and when accelerating the car hesitates mainly between 1200 & 1800 rpm. Feels like a flat spot and can happen in any gear. Under hard acceleration the car pulls well. The issue is very noticeable when cold. Like running on kangaroo Juice!!
When viewing the clear fuel pipe that exits the fuel filter to the fuel pump, air bubbles can be seen occasionally and are more noticeable when revving the engine. The outlet connection is currently being held onto the fuel filter with a cable tie! I'm thinking this is the main culprit and is letting air into the fuel system and causing the poor running? Could it be anything else?
Where could I obtain a new pipe? Expensive?

Btw, car starts fine and there are no error codes

Last edited by Stew1099; Sep 6th, 2018 at 16:48.
Stew1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 13:38   #2
Yobbo
Dave

Sounds like the common boost hose split on the left hand hose running into the throttle body.
Usually the case that there's oil that's been misting around in the area.
There is a collar gasket which the plastic pipe sits over and this tends to fail or get mangled.
On my old V50 2.0D I use some self fusing rubber tape as a replacement and it worked a treat.

Also the boost solenoids are known to cause this issue, there two of them and are identified with vac hoses leading to them and a brown case, the harder to reach one is near the alternator so some bits need to come off to reach that one.