Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying used V40 D4 64 plate

Views : 1540

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2018, 15:03   #1
hozzer

Default Buying used V40 D4 64 plate

Hi guys,

Been looking at used cars for a while now and finally decided on getting a V40. I have also been looking around forums, like this one, to check any common problems and what I should look out for.

The biggest risk I see is the EGR problem that the D4 engines seem to encounter. I would prefer to purchase a D4 because of the extra power you get but I'm still seriously considering a D2 in case it could prove to be too much of a headache.

My question revolves on what I need to look out for basically. I've got a V40 D4 R-Design Lux Nav in my sights that seems on a par, cost wise, with other lower spec versions. It has about 70k mileage and a full service history so today I asked the dealer if the EGR problem had been mentioned in any of the reports, no reply as of yet.

Is this the only issue I should be mindful of? (other than the normal car checks you're encouraged to do of course). Also, if the dealer says that no EGR issues have been found/rectified should I leave it alone or negotiate a lower price, enough so I can get the problem fixed myself?

Any advice much appreciated!
hozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 16:27   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozzer View Post
Hi guys,

Been looking at used cars for a while now and finally decided on getting a V40. I have also been looking around forums, like this one, to check any common problems and what I should look out for.

The biggest risk I see is the EGR problem that the D4 engines seem to encounter. I would prefer to purchase a D4 because of the extra power you get but I'm still seriously considering a D2 in case it could prove to be too much of a headache.

My question revolves on what I need to look out for basically. I've got a V40 D4 R-Design Lux Nav in my sights that seems on a par, cost wise, with other lower spec versions. It has about 70k mileage and a full service history so today I asked the dealer if the EGR problem had been mentioned in any of the reports, no reply as of yet.

Is this the only issue I should be mindful of? (other than the normal car checks you're encouraged to do of course). Also, if the dealer says that no EGR issues have been found/rectified should I leave it alone or negotiate a lower price, enough so I can get the problem fixed myself?

Any advice much appreciated!
which model year is it actually? is it the volvo 4 cylinder diesel or the 5 cylinder ? have you a reg no ?
If it IS the new volvo 4 cylinder , look at the top radiator hose and make sure it runs direct from the top of the radiator on the drivers side to the centre of the engine with no big T piece half way along .. That is good news if it does not have one ...
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 17:31   #3
hozzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
which model year is it actually? is it the volvo 4 cylinder diesel or the 5 cylinder ? have you a reg no ?
If it IS the new volvo 4 cylinder , look at the top radiator hose and make sure it runs direct from the top of the radiator on the drivers side to the centre of the engine with no big T piece half way along .. That is good news if it does not have one ...
Hi Clan,

Thanks for your reply, it's a 64 plate and sticking the reg number into teh DVLA site gives me this info:

Vehicle make: VOLVO
Date of first registration: January 2015
Year of manufacture: 2015
Cylinder capacity (cc): 1969 cc
CO₂Emissions: 109 g/km
Fuel type: DIESEL
Euro Status: Not available
Export marker: No
Vehicle status: Tax not due
Vehicle colour: BLACK
Vehicle type approval: M1
Wheelplan: 2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: Not available

The engine specs aren't actually listed on the site I'm using which is a bit of pain so I won't know until the dealership gets back to me. Are you able to know what engine is likely to be inside with the info provided above?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 17:41   #4
hozzer

Quote:
Hi Clan,

Thanks for your reply, it's a 64 plate and sticking the reg number into teh DVLA site gives me this info:

Vehicle make: VOLVO
Date of first registration: January 2015
Year of manufacture: 2015
Cylinder capacity (cc): 1969 cc
CO₂Emissions: 109 g/km
Fuel type: DIESEL
Euro Status: Not available
Export marker: No
Vehicle status: Tax not due
Vehicle colour: BLACK
Vehicle type approval: M1
Wheelplan: 2-AXLE-RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: Not available

The engine specs aren't actually listed on the site I'm using which is a bit of pain so I won't know until the dealership gets back to me. Are you able to know what engine is likely to be inside with the info provided above?

Thanks again for your help.
Grabbed this from wiki which answers my question regarding the engine type:

"From the model year of 2014, Volvo has begun fitting its in house developed Drive E (VEA) diesel and petrol engines to the V40. As of January 2015, these engines are available in the new V40 D4 (replacing the previous five cylinder D4) and V40 T5 (replacing the petrol five cylinder T5)."

Now I just need to look out for that T piece you mentioned. Thanks again, Clan.
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 17:44   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Grabbed this from wiki which answers my question regarding the engine type:

"From the model year of 2014, Volvo has begun fitting its in house developed Drive E (VEA) diesel and petrol engines to the V40. As of January 2015, these engines are available in the new V40 D4 (replacing the previous five cylinder D4) and V40 T5 (replacing the petrol five cylinder T5)."

Now I just need to look out for that T piece you mentioned. Thanks again, Clan.
1969 says it is the new engine , a reg would help more when you get it
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 18:01   #6
hozzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
1969 says it is the new engine , a reg would help more when you get it
Found the reg:
DU64 ONB
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 21:24   #7
zork

So if it's a VEA I supose fixing the EGR should be free of charge from Volvo since it's an aknowleged flaw... But given the fact that you loose some time you could ask for a lower price...

On the other hand I would ask if the car had a 'LOW COOLANT WARNING' and I would keep an eye on the coolant's level since I read there are some VEA engines with cylinder head or cylinder block problems...

Good luck!
zork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d4 egr, egr, v40 d2, v40d4