Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 1.9D won't rev freely and puffs blue smoke

Views : 4153

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2018, 23:11   #11
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Wouldnt necessarily, but, rich mixture due to less air, might be drawing oil from the turbo seals due to the resultant vacuum, could account for the smoke...

Re bolt, hahahahahahahaaaaaaa! Never done that, ever.....😆😆😆😆😡😡😡😡😕😕😕😕😂
Oh right, fair enough. Well if I can her back together i might see if any pipes seem to collapse under pressure. If not, i may have to take her into work in her current state and run an OBD check
Dirty Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 20:35   #12
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

What year is your 1.9D?

When my MAF went the car smoked and had no power. It did trigger the engine warning lamp though. Because mine is an 04 I was able to buy a generic code reader (autel al519) and read the code.

Unplugging the faulty MAF made no difference. Got a genuine MAF from eurocarparts and haven't looked back in 3+ years.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 21:18   #13
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
What year is your 1.9D?

When my MAF went the car smoked and had no power. It did trigger the engine warning lamp though. Because mine is an 04 I was able to buy a generic code reader (autel al519) and read the code.

Unplugging the faulty MAF made no difference. Got a genuine MAF from eurocarparts and haven't looked back in 3+ years.
Mine is a Sport model from 2004. I would have thought if it was something like a MAF that it would've triggered the EML to light up. Didn't even light up when i unplugged the EGR or MAP, so who knows, may have a broken EML xD.

Where is a good place to buy a decent code reader? And are there any good cheaper code readers around? Can't i just get the code off the reader and google it?
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 21:40   #14
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Proscan are cheap and cheerful obd2 readers, do the job, or, there are the Eml27 Bluetooth things you combine with an app on phone/tablet/laptop, the eml27 are a fiver on ebay, apps from free to a handful of change.

Pic of my proscan from sorting wifes octavia, whilst plugged in and driving, it captured a freeze frame of when the fault occurred so the data can be read, useful feature!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180810_184455-1.jpg (224.2 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by AndyV7o; Sep 20th, 2018 at 21:44.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 22:46   #15
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Proscan are cheap and cheerful obd2 readers, do the job, or, there are the Eml27 Bluetooth things you combine with an app on phone/tablet/laptop, the eml27 are a fiver on ebay, apps from free to a handful of change.

Pic of my proscan from sorting wifes octavia, whilst plugged in and driving, it captured a freeze frame of when the fault occurred so the data can be read, useful feature!
So that ProScan just shows a basic list of fault codes and other details like that? Fair enough. Seems a good 'en to start with. Might look into that
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:12   #16
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yeah, its just engine management (you need vida etc for abs etc) shows generic codes, clears codes, shows live data, freezeframe capture of fault occurring, etc.
In that pic it showed that overboost occurred and logged fault code at 3500 rpm, 55mph, what pressure was in the system, etc, and further stuff if scrolled down from that screen.
It doesnt do a whole lot, but basic scanners are limited to generic data.
The eml27 is a cheaper option, I dont know what it does exactly, but can show more advanced things such as fuel rail pressure, voltage etc with the right app. SiRobb on yputube (CheshireD5 on here) did a diagnosing cold start problem video on youtube showing the elm27 and torque app in use, quite impressive to the point I bought one and the app but havent played with it yet...

Last edited by AndyV7o; Sep 20th, 2018 at 23:17.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 23:20   #17
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Yeah, its just engine management (you need vida etc for abs etc) shows generic codes, clears codes, shows live data, freezeframe capture of fault occurring, etc.
In that pic it showed that overboost occurred and logged fault code at 3500 rpm, 55mph, what pressure was in the system, etc, and further stuff if scrolled down from that screen.
It doesnt do a whole lot, but basic scanners are limited to generic data.
The eml27 is a cheaper option, I dont know what it does exactly, but can show more advanced things such as fuel rail pressure, voltage etc with the right app. SiRobb on yputube (CheshireD5 on here) did a diagnosing cold start problem video on youtube showing the elm27 and torque app in use, quite impressive to the point I bought one and the app but havent played with it yet...
Hmmmmm, that eml27 sounds quite intriguing. Might wanna check that out. I'd want something that be more use than just generic engine related codes, etc. I'll try and find that app too, readily available on the app store i imagine
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 09:52   #18
aldred309uk

You could try unplugging your MAF sensor, the first thing down stream of the air box and then take it for a drive. I did that when troubleshooting a loss of power like yours and it immediately drove like it should do. So I bought a new MAF sensor but it turned out to be the egr so I've just got the old one sitting on a shelf in a box waiting for the new one to break. It could just show you if the issue is mechanical or electrical though.

My dad's T5 transporter did exactly the same as yours but I think the smoke was black when he dropped an intercooler pipe. I remember you were saying you had trouble with a hose popping off?
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:16   #19
Dirty Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
You could try unplugging your MAF sensor, the first thing down stream of the air box and then take it for a drive. I did that when troubleshooting a loss of power like yours and it immediately drove like it should do. So I bought a new MAF sensor but it turned out to be the egr so I've just got the old one sitting on a shelf in a box waiting for the new one to break. It could just show you if the issue is mechanical or electrical though.

My dad's T5 transporter did exactly the same as yours but I think the smoke was black when he dropped an intercooler pipe. I remember you were saying you had trouble with a hose popping off?
I did at one point yes. Always keeping an eye on it now haha. I was thinking of trying the MAF. That'll be this weekends job, putting her back together then trying the MAF. I'm hoping it's something simple like that, don't really want it to be something like a turbo oil seal or whatever
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 16:13   #20
aldred309uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Diesel View Post
I did at one point yes. Always keeping an eye on it now haha. I was thinking of trying the MAF. That'll be this weekends job, putting her back together then trying the MAF. I'm hoping it's something simple like that, don't really want it to be something like a turbo oil seal or whatever
Just put it all back together but don't plug the electrical connection in then try it.

Tags
blue smoke, lack of power, oil burning, slow acceleration