Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 tuning.....again.

Views : 4668

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 20:12   #1
oldmanJohn

Default D5 tuning.....again.

Evening all,
Appear to have hit a dead end. I have a 06 V70 D5 183. I would like to have it mapped and have the EGR and DPF functionality removed at the same time. Which now seems to be a taboo subject for some reason, it's always been a no no to mess with emission control equipment. I've tried Alive, BSR, Shark tuning and Rica. All have ignored my emails, is there an issue my end or do they now just ignore such requests without so much as a sod off?
Secondly could I install a map from say BSR and than have the dpf and egr software removed by a 3rd party?

Can anyone recommend anyone? I'm in Worcestershire.

Cheers

John
oldmanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 20:42   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Shark no longer exist!

It is now even more illegal to tamper with emissions kit, any signs of tampering/suspected are an instant mot fail. Mot inspectors are expected to scrutinise, and any hint of vidible soot on a dpf car is also instant fail. Any company found to have removed/mapped out etc any emissions equipment are liable for large fines and prosecution, so no self respecting organisation will now do anything at all related to emissions.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 21:04   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Shark no longer exist!

It is now even more illegal to tamper with emissions kit, any signs of tampering/suspected are an instant mot fail. Mot inspectors are expected to scrutinise, and any hint of vidible soot on a dpf car is also instant fail. Any company found to have removed/mapped out etc any emissions equipment are liable for large fines and prosecution, so no self respecting organisation will now do anything at all related to emissions.
Not only is it illegal but to be fair it’s a pretty stupid idea. A car driven on runs will give many many miles of trouble free service dpf. I have racked up near 200k with my 2 diesels without an issue (touches wood lol)
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 22:02   #4
oldmanJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Shark no longer exist!

visible soot from an exhaust is only on vehicles registered early 2014, Euro 4/5 are tested for 1/7/2008 from memory, so unless a tester has an intimate knowledge of a brand you can't rightfully fail anything for not having DPF pre 2008. There are far too many variables. We are currently seeing issues with the HDI engines in volvos emitting euro 4/5 levels of smoke on vehicles registered after the euro 6 cut off.
oldmanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 23:07   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

No, rules changed this spring.
ANY car fitted with a dpf (which can be discerned by mot tester using chassis number etc (for example I had a 2010 59 plate c4 1.6hdi which is well within the timeframe post dpf roll-out, and is listed on databases everywhere as having one, didnt have one from factory which was determined by chassis number, and emissions stated on V5. Other way round, but same thing)) from the factory, full stop.
ANY cat/dpf/egr tampering or evidence of, regardless of year is a fail.

Roadside spot-checks etc are now imnediately concerned with checking these too.

Not that it cant be got away with, but its more dicey now than de-catting a post 92 petrol!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 16:30   #6
Yobbo
Dave

Agree with Andy, if it came spec'd from the factory with the prescribed emissions equipment then it must have it.

I've heard anecdotally that some MOT testers are using mirrors to check DPFs for welds, not sure if tapping to detect a hollow casing is allowed but wouldn't surprise me.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 00:35   #7
GeirOH

https://viezu.com/
Really good..
GeirOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 16:47   #8
9000rpm

I've had done just what you are looking for on my d5 a couple of weeks ago and the difference is awesome and I'm happy. I got it done at a place called ecomaxtuning in Peterborough which would be quite a drive but maybe worth it? was £379 all in....
9000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 18:32   #9
leylandp38
Long time lurker

Cool

I recently had my 2008 d5 185 remapped by Celtic Tuning https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/ for £295.

They claim 235bhp, it now goes like the clappers, is smoother around town using 4th gear at 30mph and all round very much improved. Mobile service, very knowledgeable engineer, excellent to deal with. Highly recommended.

Al
Past 2000 (W) V70 2.5D (P2 TDi) manual
Past 1982 265 GLE V6 auto
leylandp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 13:36   #10
rangerovering

Quote:
Originally Posted by leylandp38 View Post
I recently had my 2008 d5 185 remapped by Celtic Tuning https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/ for £295.

They claim 235bhp, it now goes like the clappers, is smoother around town using 4th gear at 30mph and all round very much improved. Mobile service, very knowledgeable engineer, excellent to deal with. Highly recommended.

Al
Hi very interested in this I have the same engine, what car is it in and has you mpg changed since the remap?
rangerovering is offline   Reply With Quote