Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp upgrade - Bosch AL E46 projectors...NO HID (yet)

Views : 2331

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2018, 23:09   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Headlamp upgrade - Bosch AL E46 projectors...NO HID (yet)

OK so I've just swapped out the original crappy projector headlamps with these ones (H7 version in the dropdown box) and below is the result.

https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/aharo...-design-1.html

Please note, that I have done absolutely nothing in terms of adjustment yet One is ever so slightly higher than the other, so it will need a slight adjustment, but I just wanted to see how they looked when you literally swap the old ones out for new ones. The Bosch projectors are 100% plug and play. Bit of a squeeze to get the new ones in (I have facelift headlamps) but I eventually negotiated them in.

Obviously these new projectors have the 'modern' cutoff pattern and they have clear lenses, which means the cut off is VERY sharp and bounces down the road etc. Even with Halogen bulbs, there is still a blue haze around the cut off, but it's nowhere near as intense as I expect it will be when I fit my HIDs (with Skbowe PWM filter).

If you don't like the super sharp cut off, you can remove the frosted lens from the old projectors and put it in the new lens to diffuse the sharp cut off.

Are my lights better than before?
They are brighter, and appear much less yellow despite being exactly the same stock bulbs. Also, light appears to be very evenly distributed across the whole projected area... can barely see any hotspots.

As Lizard of Doom has mentioned before, these projectors dont give a particularly wide spread directly infront of the car but I didn't find that to be a problem. It looks very narrow on my camera because of the wide-view lens and position of my dashcam but honestly It's not an issue for me at all.

The best thing is, this setup is 100% legal and will pass an MOT (provided the alignment is properly adjusted). NO HID kits etc used here, this is simply stock H7 Halogen bulbs with upgraded projectors.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by T5R92011; Sep 19th, 2018 at 23:17.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:39   #2
Welton
Premier Member

How many speed humps?

That is a very sharp cut off indeed, looks good to me, what Halogen H7's are you running there?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 13:37   #3
iainmd

Do the projectors have the same switch as the OEM units to flatten the beam for driving on the continent or are the beams permanently flat anyway?

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 19:52   #4
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Do the projectors have the same switch as the OEM units to flatten the beam for driving on the continent or are the beams permanently flat anyway?
No switch on these. The shield is a fixed pattern. Though i think you could swap the shields with the right-hand drive model if required.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 19:57   #5
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
How many speed humps?

That is a very sharp cut off indeed, looks good to me, what Halogen H7's are you running there?
I think they're just random cheap H7s, didnt really look at their labelling. They came with the car so probably not much life left in them.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 10:10   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post

As Lizard of Doom has mentioned before, these projectors dont give a particularly wide spread directly infront of the car but I didn't find that to be a problem. It looks very narrow on my camera because of the wide-view lens and position of my dashcam but honestly It's not an issue for me at all.
( sounds actually way more sinister that my nick, thanks! )

You say you didnt to any allignment/adjustments yet? If not, seem that the mounts are spot-on vs the OEM projectors, mine (pre FL lamps) required some fiddling straight away, including some washers to raise them up on mounts. Yours look dead centered to itself, although from movie *looks* like a bit too high (you will get flashes on HIDs if you leave them at that level).

Did you hook up the bi-xenon flap? what are your thoughts?

Would you say that on H7 it is an improvement or old diffused light was better? Ofcourse those are designed for HIDs so ultimately it will be a different story, but just wondering, IF you had to leave them with H7's, would you? or swap back to OEMs?

BTW - just so you know - those retrofitlab projectors are NOT Bosch (as brand) just made to Bosch design. Seem better quality than most "chinese" projectors so maybe made-to-spec specialy for retrofitlab, but still.

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Sep 21st, 2018 at 10:13.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 15:42   #7
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

I haven't wired the actuator yet, but will do when the HIDs go in.

I would say they are better than OEM even with Halogen bulbs, due to the distance they achieve and the clarity of light below the cut off.

When you turn a corner, it almost feels like you are 'painting' light across the objects that you drive past.

I do worry that HIDs will be overkill in these units. As I say, I think my eyes will demand that I put the frosted lens in with an HID kit.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 16:35   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
I do worry that HIDs will be overkill in these units. As I say, I think my eyes will demand that I put the frosted lens in with an HID kit.
Takes a bit to get used when driving in pitch black, have to admit. Its a huge contrast difference, but does allow you to allign lights and be sure not to dazzle oncoming traffic as you know exactly where cutoff is.
anyway, if you feel adventurous, go ahead with swap, I wonder results myself
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 20:35   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Very interested, wish id realised about these before getting replacment headlights , they look to be Better than "new" units and at a Heck of a lot less outlay
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 23:24   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quick vid showing the beams on dark B road. Note that when the dashboard adjuster is in the lowest setting, the right hand headlamp drops much lower than the left... not sure why, but at all other heights they remain aligned.

I did have to slightly raise the left hand headlamp height via the adjuster as well.

Adjustment
Height adjustment is done via the SIDE adjustor (i.e the one that you CANT see unless you remove the headlamp).

Height adjustment is a "HW8" Allen socket
Left/Right adjustment is a smaller "HW6" Allen socket

If you want to adjust using that crappy yellow bit ontop, that is 6mm standard socket, but will probably break your adjuster as it's incredibly brittle so recommend avoiding using that, and gently use the Allen adjuster behind it.

To raise the beam height(when facing the car), turn the ALLEN adjuster towards the engine bay.

To move the beam to the right (when facing the car), turn the ALLEN adjuster Anti-clockwise.

Quick video showing the beam on a dark road.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Few more pics: