Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 volvo 740 gle 2.3

Views : 565

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 14:34   #1
volvod570

Default 1989 volvo 740 gle 2.3

hi, is this car worth £300 no m.o.t, think it just needs brakes, have not looked into it properly, just looking for opinions on price, it's done 180000 ish miles, thanks
volvod570 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvod570 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 14:38   #2
volvod570

forgot to say, its in good condition
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 15:25   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Afternoon, 'volvod570'. Frankly, I do not think so. Without an MOT the car is an unknown quantity. Two years ago, my 745 GLE failed its MOT on corrosion issues and I was offered £30 by a local Breaker if I could deliver it to them. I did subsequently sell the car to a member of these forums, who also arranged for its collection, for rather more than that, but nothing like £300!

If I were you, I would put the car in for an MOT. Even if it does not pass, you will have the failure sheet to show potential purchasers, who would them have a better idea of what they might be taking on. A discounted MOT round our way would set you back £40; if it enables you to sell your car for even half what you are suggesting, I would say that it was a wise investment.

Pictures of your car might help your case, too.

Regards, John.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 17:02   #4
volvod570

thanks thats good advice, should be going to have a look at it this week, so will get some pics, i see what you mean about the m.o.t, will have a good look at it, just seen it, and straight away loved it.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 18:12   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvod570 View Post
thanks thats good advice, should be going to have a look at it this week, so will get some pics, i see what you mean about the m.o.t, will have a good look at it, just seen it, and straight away loved it.
I'm with John on this one, put it in for MoT to find out what's wrong with it but i wouldn't use a "discounted" MoT - i'd pay for the normal £55 fee (£54.80 i think the exact figure is) as garages that offer the discounted test are almost always looking to find faults they can charge to work on.

An example of this is a voucher for a free MoT in my local free paper about 25 years ago. My car at the time was getting near MoT time so i put it in for MoT using this voucher.

The failure list was like roll-call at HMP Dartmoor - long and ugly!

Out of all the failure points, i agreed with two of them - a small hole on the drivers sill and the void bushes. Had the sill welded at work and did the void bushes on the saturday morning, then presented it for MoT at a local garage i could walk home from and borrowed a car for work the next day.

Strangely, it still failed but this time on rear fog lamp bulbs that had gone after i dropped it off - they were working when i left it.

A pair of bulbs and the pass certificate was obtained.

Back to your imminent purchase, if you can get a few photos of the car we may be able to give you a bit more of a guess, also you can check the MoT history online using this link :

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Worth finding out what advisories were issued last year and particularly checking to see if they've been attended to.

If it's in exceptionally nice condition apart from the fact the MoT is out/nearly out then it probably is worth £300, if not then somewhere between that and nothing.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 19:28   #6
bob12
bob12

Agree fully with Dave ^^^^.

It would have been good to see some pics of the motor 'John' we are talking about.

I never go for a cheep (!) MOT, and it's ALWAYS the same place. It's like a long lost friend when it arrives, but they don't mind giving me a fail if it's warranted, and I don't object either.

I would NEVER buy a motor without having looked at its MOT history in the first instance before even moving on, and nor should anybody else as it can be very revealing and raise questions.

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 20:51   #7
volvod570

thanks for the replys, made me think a bit more about it lol, i just like the shape and space, but your right, if it's going to cost alot, might as well save for a older Volvo thats on the road
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 21:13   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvod570 View Post
thanks for the replys, made me think a bit more about it lol, i just like the shape and space, but your right, if it's going to cost alot, might as well save for a older Volvo thats on the road
You won't know what it's likely to cost until you have a fail sheet (or better still, a pass sheet) in your hand.

Thing is, the GLE is now a very rare 740 and getting rarer. If it's the estate with auto box and 7 seat conversion then it's rarer still. Good ones with MoT fetch a lot of money.

Have you got any other details at the moment? Someone on here might recognise the registration for example if you know it, what colour is it and a few other things might jog peoples memories.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 21:38   #9
bob12
bob12

7 seater ... no problemo, I can offer a 'very, very original' option from stock!
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 01:05   #10
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Afternoon, 'volvod570'. Frankly, I do not think so. Without an MOT the car is an unknown quantity. Two years ago, my 745 GLE failed its MOT on corrosion issues and I was offered £30 by a local Breaker if I could deliver it to them. I did subsequently sell the car to a member of these forums, who also arranged for its collection, for rather more than that, but nothing like £300!

If I were you, I would put the car in for an MOT. Even if it does not pass, you will have the failure sheet to show potential purchasers, who would them have a better idea of what they might be taking on. A discounted MOT round our way would set you back £40; if it enables you to sell your car for even half what you are suggesting, I would say that it was a wise investment.

Pictures of your car might help your case, too.

Regards, John.
Not sure I'd agree on the values - these cars are slowly going up in price and a good spec (GLE) car in fair condition will always be worth a few pennies. A lack of MOT wouldn't unduly trouble me

A quick look on ebay doesn't show any completed listings for under £299(!).

volvod570, if you decide it's not for you, and it's an estate, it could be what my brother is after so please pass on the details
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote